• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dr. Hatch converting Wake to Notre Dame

Congratulations, morrison! You and mom should be proud.

He was awarded a Dean's scholarship!

Campbell is kicking ass and leading the state in first time bar passage rate.

Must be nice to be able to afford to pay full price for a Wake education.

Agree about the deans.

Profs like are us are the ones most likely to agree about the over-proliferation of Deans and their little Deanlets. If there is one thing that makes higher education better, it is middle management asking us to form committees and write reports instead of teaching and researching.

He was awarded a Dean's scholarship!

Campbell is kicking ass and leading the state in first time bar passage rate.

Take a step back and consider some things. If he only plans to work and live in NC, Campbell is probably ok. Just ok. I considered going there myself before my father's troubled health (only child) forced me back to Florida. But Campbell is poorly known outside NC. It has a good trial practice program and excellent bar passage rate, but it does not have UNC or Wake's peer respect in NC or on the East Coast. He can do very well there, but I consider Campbell to be like Stetson Law in Florida...great trial practice and bar passage rate, but employers are wary, and it sits a solid fourth in line down here behind UF, FSU and Miami. I have heard similar things about Campbell in NC from friends who live and practice there, even with their move to Raleigh, which was a good one. If he didn't get into UNC or another similar tier school, sit out a year and reapply. It's not as prejudicial to do so as you might think. See some of the country or overseas. Once he takes that first law job free time to travel is over for a long time.

This post may seem snobby or hateful and I don't mean it that way. You should be very proud of him. I've just seen some friends (to be fair, Stetson, not Campbell) wish that they had slowed things down, reapplied, and at least tried to go to a higher ranked school. If you can swing the tuition, he will be better off in the end. There is a reason Campbell is giving your son a Dean's Scholarship. Your son is a very solid prospect, and they need to bolster their rep.

Whatever happens, sincere best of luck.

Last edited:
Profs like are us are the ones most likely to agree about the over-proliferation of Deans and their little Deanlets. If there is one thing that makes higher education better, it is middle management asking us to form committees and write reports instead of teaching and researching.

Who on the Wake list (below) do you think is superfluous? I could see an argument against the Dean of Biomedical Graduate Programs and Library, but it doesn't feel like Wake has an excess of Deans.

Dean of the College
Dean of the Law School
Dean of the Business School
Dean of the Divinity School
Dean of the Medical School
Dean of Graduate Programs in Arts and Sciences
Dean of Graduate Programs in Biomedical Science
Dean of the Z. Smith Reynolds Library

For you old-timers - Believe it or not, that's what it costs now. It was always in the back of my mind that I'd like for him to go to Wake, but I now realize that it's possibly not worth what I'm paying. One day, the model is going to break down, and people aren't going to be willing to get ripped-off like this. I'm going to be a wiser consumer with my next two kids

I say good for you, 85. If your eldest wants to go to Wake Forest and you are able to do it, that's what being a good parent is all about. It is Wake's job to return your investment, and I hope they do.

Who on the Wake list (below) do you think is superfluous? I could see an argument against the Dean of Biomedical Graduate Programs and Library, but it doesn't feel like Wake has an excess of Deans.

Dean of the College
Dean of the Law School
Dean of the Business School
Dean of the Divinity School
Dean of the Medical School
Dean of Graduate Programs in Arts and Sciences
Dean of Graduate Programs in Biomedical Science
Dean of the Z. Smith Reynolds Library

How about non-academic deans?

Ah, good point. I could find:
Dean of Campus Life
Dean of Residence Life & Housing
Dean of Students

Those are all very old positions.

The trick is sometimes there are "Associate" or "Assistant" Deans who are not listed on the site. Google finds most things, but not everything.

The associate deans, assistant deans, and their admin staff as well.

Those are all very old positions.

The trick is sometimes there are "Associate" or "Assistant" Deans who are not listed on the site. Google finds most things, but not everything.

The associate deans, assistant deans, and their admin staff as well.

Ok, so here are some others: http://college.wfu.edu/about/office-directory-2

It looks like maybe half of those serve faculty. I guess me listing them isn't helpful nor does it really get to my question above. Which ones would you get rid of? Which ones are superfluous?

Hard to say without being there. "Serve faculty" is often what DeacatDuke was talking about. We tend to want to be left to do our thing.

I'm curious how the size of our administration compares to much larger institutions.

Hard to say without being there. "Serve faculty" is often what DeacatDuke was talking about. We tend to want to be left to do our thing.

I'm curious how the size of our administration compares to much larger institutions.

That's fair. I guess the Deans discussion should really be pointed at the Provost, right? I'm such President Hatch touches on those things, but the Provost supervises academic deans and VP of Campus Life supervises the others.

Why compare Wake's to larger institutions? Why not peers?

Here, here! Small administration, individual liberty and the freedom to use independent judgment where the rubber meets the road. So mote it be!

That's fair. I guess the Deans discussion should really be pointed at the Provost, right? I'm such President Hatch touches on those things, but the Provost supervises academic deans and VP of Campus Life supervises the others.

Why compare Wake's to larger institutions? Why not peers?

Because if Wake has the same administration size as much larger institutions, that's part of the problem.

Because if Wake has the same administration size as much larger institutions, that's part of the problem.

That kind of depends. You wouldn't say that Wake's professor:student ratio being lower than larger institutions is part of the problem. I would argue that ratio is the single most important factor to what makes Wake such a special place. If you look at administration as purely output oriented based on the size of student body, then your concern will be different than looking at administrative ratios from an outcome basis for the opportunities offered to Wake students. I think there is probably a balance to find between the two.

A year or so ago, I recall reading an article on one of the boards that suggested that Wake had become very bloated the last 4-5 years. Anybody remember reading that article?

Back