• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN: Danny Manning considered for WFU job, meets with Wellman 3/31/14

socaldeac

Reaction score
Wake Forest has significant interest in Tulsa coach Danny Manning, sources told ESPN.com.

It's still unclear where the former Kansas star, who went to the NCAA tournament in just his second season as the coach of the Golden Hurricane, sits on Wake athletic director Ron Wellman's wish list. However, one source close to the process said that Manning has a legitimate shot to land the job.

Manning is in the equation to replace Jeff [Redacted], who was forced to resign earlier in the month after four forgettable seasons. [Redacted] was 51-76 overall and 17-51 in ACC play.

Manning, 47, starred at Kansas and was the No. 1 overall pick of the 1988 NBA draft. He played 15 seasons in the league, and then joined Bill Self's staff at Kansas, where he was an assistant from 2006 to 2012.

Manning was hired by Tulsa in 2012 and led the Golden Hurricane to a 17-16 mark and an appearance in the CBI despite losing his top two players, Jordan Clarkson and Eric McClellan, to transfers.

Tulsa finished 21-13 this season and tied for first in Conference USA with a 13-3 mark. The Golden Hurricane lost to UCLA in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

Just imagine the quotes the Ath Dept could get from current/former NBA players about Danny Manning! Endless.

You have rumored 3 million dollars at your disposal, the new ACC will be the top conference, top 25 academic institution, the list goes on.. This is what we might get? Ron Wellman must be the worst fucking salesman.

This isn't Shaka, but this isn't bad. Local ties, strong pedigree, winner, real NBA connection. Better than Mack, imo.

Just bring Jeff back another year. At least then we can fire him and Wellman next year. Otherwise we will be hearing the "let him get his own players, it's only his 2,3,4 year, etc. We will have to wait four more years... If he's a bust. Not worth the risk.

This isn't Shaka, but this isn't bad. Local ties, strong pedigree, winner, real NBA connection. Better than Mack, imo.

I am with Dino here. I wouldn't take him over Shaka or Marshall (I assume we have no chance here), nor would I take him over Howland. I would prefer Archie to him but Danny Manning would be my next in line after these guys.

You have rumored 3 million dollars at your disposal, the new ACC will be the top conference, top 25 academic institution, the list goes on.. This is what we might get? Ron Wellman must be the worst fucking salesman.

I really think that it's. All along, we've thought Wellman is the real problem. Proof? [Redacted]. An inability to rightfully put a place like Wake in the top tiers of available coaching jobs.

Fuck you, Ronnie. Fuck you.

What great players has Danny Manning recruited to his schools? Anybody already prepped a rundown? What I'm seeing on rivals is pretty grim.

Lol yeah okay...

Farewell OGBoards, we hardly knew ye, but I fear you will not survive the Manning Meltdown....

Manning may turn out alright, but that's the point. May. He's a wait and see hire. Wellman burned all the good will he would need in order to make a wait and see hire.

Exactly. You can't follow up four years of [Redacted] with a 50/50 guy. You've got to hire someone you know can win in the ACC. Fuck you, Ronnie.

What great players has Danny Manning recruited to his schools? Anybody already prepped a rundown?

We need the breakdown on rebounding stats, W/L percentage on Tuesdays, turnover rate when down 5, shooting percentage when up 10, assist rate between first and second TV timeouts, I mean the world has to know just how horrible a hire this is.

I don't know who he was responsible for recruiting but he was on their staff when they won the natty 6 years ago. I mean Kevin Ollie just got to the final 4 at a major job after never being a head coach anywhere. I know he won with calhouns kids but it was pretty impressive.

Manning may turn out alright, but that's the point. May. He's a wait and see hire. Wellman burned all the good will he would need in order to make a wait and see hire.

Agreed. We don't need another wait and see hire, that gets millions of dollars on a pure desperate gamble.. The lack of oversight in how we choose to spend millions on bad/potentially bad coaches is ridiculous.

Back