• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN: Danny Manning considered for WFU job, meets with Wellman 3/31/14

You have rumored 3 million dollars at your disposal, the new ACC will be the top conference, top 25 academic institution, the list goes on.. This is what we might get? Ron Wellman must be the worst fucking salesman.

DId you happen to see his performance at the Bz "resignation" presser?

God no. Not only is he an unproven commodity, but I'd have to relive the 1988 championship game every time I watch my alma mater. Fuck that noise.

The fact that this leak came from "a source close to the process" means that, just like Mack, it was intentional.
As in: we obviously haven't released much, so there's no downside to letting people know we're interested in a mid-major coach who's a good guy, has an NBA pedigree, connections to the Triad, and some level of potential.
As in: we're trying to push our other candidates toward making decisions.
As in: if we wanted to lock Manning down, we wouldn't have leaked anything.

Played h.s. ball in G'boro. Wake recruited but never seriously considered. Duke, State, UNC all got hoppin mad when Larry Brown hired Danny's father as assistant coach. Wasn't NCAA violation back then.

The fact that this leak came from "a source close to the process" means that, just like Mack, it was intentional.
As in: we obviously haven't released much, so there's no downside to letting people know we're interested in a mid-major coach who's a good guy, has an NBA pedigree, connections to the Triad, and some level of potential.
As in: we're trying to push our other candidates toward making decisions.
As in: if we wanted to lock Manning down, we wouldn't have leaked anything.

this would be great if i believed our athletic department was smart enough to think anything through.

Guys - his record may not look all that great, but if you dig deep....

I think the question now is just how much of a liability Wellman has become. Are we being reduced to this because "word on the street" is that Wellman is about half fucking nuts?

What great players has Danny Manning recruited to his schools? Anybody already prepped a rundown? What I'm seeing on rivals is pretty grim.

Two White-esque gets at Tulsa and I have no idea how big of a roll he played at Kansas. He was always personable with recruits when I saw the KU guys at events.

Well, if he can recruit really well that's a big part of the battle right there. Hopefully he would surround himself with really good staff.

What great players has Danny Manning recruited to his schools? Anybody already prepped a rundown? What I'm seeing on rivals is pretty grim.

From Wikipedia, so the usual caveats apply:

Manning worked with the Jayhawk big men and earned a reputation as one of the best coaches of big men in the country. He coached 12 NBA draft picks, including eight first round selections. Kansas bigs among those NBA draft picks during his tenure included Wayne Simien, Julian Wright, Darrell Arthur, Darnell Jackson, Sasha Kaun, Cole Aldrich, twins Marcus Morris and Markieff Morris, Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey. Manning recruited two McDonald's High School All-Americans, including 2010 NBA first-round draft pick and Oklahoman Xavier Henry. He also coached two Academic All-Americans - Cole Aldrich and Tyrel Reed. Aldrich was selected as the 2010 Academic All-America of the Year for men's basketball.

Back