• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN: Danny Manning considered for WFU job, meets with Wellman 3/31/14

cant believe the hawks traded 'nique for him

I think the question now is just how much of a liability Wellman has become. Are we being reduced to this because "word on the street" is that Wellman is about half fucking nuts?

Wellman is a huge liability. College sports are passing him by. Coaches like Smart are more intelligent than him and more driven. Two things: I think the "respected" angle for Wellman is overblown and anybody that does want to work for him has to worry about him retiring soon. #Wellmanout

Ron might as well name himself coach at this point.

He knows more than anybody else, understands the importance of wearing socks correctly and best of all he could give himself a handsome $1million raise and we'd all still be money ahead.

The Manning release was nothing but a ruse to the requests from ESPN etc. for updates. Much as I dislike Wellman, at this point in time he is probably a mouthpiece for the individuals who are directing this show. Who they may be, wish I knew. In addition to those on this board, Wellman has lost a tremendous amount of credibility with the BOT and others in the Wake community. They are not about to allow him to screw this up as he did with the previous fiasco. More news hopefully will be forthcoming post haste...

Manning was a 2 time 1st team all American
An ncaa champion as a player
2 time all nba player
An Olympian
An ncaa champion as an assistant coach under bill self
Got a late start in coaching because he was too busy playing in the nba

What is not to like?

The Manning release was nothing but a ruse to the requests from ESPN etc. for updates. Much as I dislike Wellman, at this point in time he is probably a mouthpiece for the individuals who are directing this show. Who they may be, wish I knew. In addition to those on this board, Wellman has lost a tremendous amount of credibility with the BOT and others in the Wake community. They are not about to allow him to screw this up as he did with the previous fiasco. More news hopefully will be forthcoming post haste...

Do you know news you can share? I like your thinking here.

I'm starting to warm to the idea a bit. He'd prolly be good at recruiting big men.

Manning would not be a bad hire, IMO. However, it would be something of a risk. His body of work as a coach is very small to land a job in the ACC.

You have to hand it to Wellman, he controls leaks very well apparently. I have yet to read a report that has proven valid. No one outside of the administration seems to have a clue as to what is going on!

PHD, No firm information as this coaching search to date has been conducted with limited information leaked to the media. Since Friday on these boards, has there been ANY CREDIBLE information released that can be verified? So far this has been a stealth search which has everyone wishing, hoping, speculating and cussing! I feel Wellman is not directing this operation as it seems to be above his talent level.

Manning's peeps may have leaked this to up his cred.

I really hope so but this feels a lot like 4 years ago when suddenly [Redacted] was the likely candidate after silence and so many higher caliber coaches were discussed.

I didn't realize he was 47. Thought he wound have a better resume as a head coach at that age. I guess he was doing other things.

Cannot compare this to the [Redacted] hire. There were the Stevens hope then before we knew it [Redacted]'s name was thrown around.

Manning was playing in the NBA when many other coaches were starting out

Cannot compare this to the [Redacted] hire. There were the Stevens hope then before we knew it [Redacted]'s name was thrown around.

Yeah this time is worse. Few coaching spots to fill. Names like Shaka, Marshall, Howland (who apparently is waiting on us), etc.. Then out of the blue. Danny Manning....

I'm starting to warm to the idea a bit. He'd prolly be good at recruiting big men.

url-17.gif

Manning's peeps may have leaked this to up his cred.

I choose to think this is the case.
It comes across as a pretty transparent case of it too. I mean, one tournament title and NCAA one and done and you're getting courted by an ACC team? Who would believe that?

Manning would not be a bad hire, IMO. However, it would be something of a risk. His body of work as a coach is very small to land a job in the ACC.

Then how is he not a bad or a not-bad hire?

This is what we know about Danny Manning as a coach:

Record: 21-13 in 2013-2014
-Good: Tulsa went 4-1 against the upper half of their conference (Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, and Middle Tennessee State)
-Bad: but they lost every game of substance outside of their conference: Wichita State by 23, Creighton by 10, TCU by 7 and 12, Green Bay by 12, Oklahoma by 10, Maryland by 11, and UCLA by 17
-Meh #72 kenpom.

also was 17-16 in 2012-2013, but he was coaching someone else's team and that team sucked. Beat TCU and Houston (twice), but lost to everyone else and by a lot.

Recruiting:
Overall: 6 players (1 consensus 3-star, 1 mixed 3-star, 1 mixed 2-star, and 3 UR across the board)
Good: Mitchell Wilbekin (3-star Scout, 3-star Rivals, 2-star ESPN)
Solid: Micah Littlejohn (UR Scout, 3-star Rivals, UR ESPN)

Back