• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN: Danny Manning considered for WFU job, meets with Wellman 3/31/14

There is no way in hell we would hire Buzz Williams. The guy builds his programs with Jucos.

Might be an issue with Marshall here as well. If I was a coach that relied on Jucos, I would be hesitant to go to a school that doesn't allow them.

Think there is a big difference between the JUCO approach taken by Buzz Williams and the JUCO approach taken by Marshall. I believe Marshall has built his program at Wichita State on JUCOs out of necessity. The most talented players he could land there are JUCOs b/c the elite high school players aren't (or weren't when he started) interested in Wichita State. I'd bet if he was at a school that could land those elite high schoolers Marshall would move away from JUCOs. On the other hand, Williams built his program around JUCOS at Marquette, a school that should be able to compete for and land at least some elite high schoolers. Williams is likely focusing on JUCOs by choice not out of necessity.

Last edited:
Think there is a big difference between the JUCO approach taken by Buzz Williams and the JUCO approach taken by Marshall. I believe Marshall has built his program at Wichita State on JUCOs out of necessity. The most talented players he could land there are JUCOs b/c the elite high school players aren't (or weren't when he started) interested in Wichita State. I'd bet if he was a school that could land those elite high schoolers Marshall would move away from JUCOs. On the other hand, Williams built his program around JUCOS at Marquette, a school that should be able to compete for and land at least some elite high schoolers. Williams is likely focusing on JUCOs by choice not out of necessity.

That might be true. But you also have to consider the possibility that Marshall might shy away from Wake due to Juco restrictions.

But that is a good post.

Fuck Manning. No No No. Never a dime again to Wake if that is the hire.

I'm starting to wonder if Wellman had someone locked in a few weeks ago, even before the firing. He knew he was going to be tied up with the NCAA for three weeks, plus the very explicit statement of 'this will take a while' - he could get someone hired and not have to deal with it.

Back to Howland? On paper he has a better resume than Shaka, hence the home run vs double.

I'm starting to wonder if Wellman had someone locked in a few weeks ago, even before the firing. He knew he was going to be tied up with the NCAA for three weeks, plus the very explicit statement of 'this will take a while' - he could get someone hired and not have to deal with it.

Back to Howland? On paper he has a better resume than Shaka, hence the home run vs double.

Yeah, but the 4 coaches left in the tourney aren't options, so why are we hearing something (credible) by now? Unless, it's an assistant on one of those 4 teams.

Better than settling for Shaka, amirite? This is Buzz 2.0 all over again...

What if Shaka does not want to come here? Why can't people realize that could be a possibility? And while manning isn't one of my top choices, comparing him to ******* is laughable.

Someone needs to explain to me the adoration for Michael White but the disgust for Danny Manning.

I imagine the same folks would be just as pissed, unless they simply prefer the fact that White is 10 years younger and wasn't as good a player. Oh, and the fact that he didn't endorse Burger King. That really REALLY seems to have one guy pissed.

What if Shaka does not want to come here? Why can't people realize that could be a possibility? And while manning isn't one of my top choices, comparing him to ******* is laughable.

Then we go for someone else besides Shaka and better than Manning.

The comparison to ******* is not necessarily in their background/success (though Buzz would have looked much better right after his first two years as a college head coach too), but in the way that Wake fans have begun to talk themselves into someone who is obviously not qualified.

Yeah, but the 4 coaches left in the tourney aren't options, so why are we hearing something (credible) by now? Unless, it's an assistant on one of those 4 teams.

Because Wellman has eight million other things going on right now, already has his 'home run' locked in, and said from day 1 to be patient. In the real world outside of this message board, life goes on.

I imagine the same folks would be just as pissed, unless they simply prefer the fact that White is 10 years younger and wasn't as good a player. Oh, and the fact that he didn't endorse Burger King. That really REALLY seems to have one guy pissed.

LOL

But where would MIKE WHITE be in the mythical cage match rankings?

Then we go for someone else besides Shaka and better than Manning.

The comparison to ******* is not necessarily in their background/success (though Buzz would have looked much better right after his first two years as a college head coach too), but in the way that Wake fans have begun to talk themselves into someone who is obviously not qualified.

A. Miller has been a head coach for 3 years versus Manning's 2.

If we hire Manning I'm done. This is surreal. I say name Battle as interim coach until one of the A players pulls their head out of their ass and accepts the $5M per year the big donors who fired Dino are going to pony up to get us out of this Bzdaster. And if Battle is half the coach I think he is we save megabucks and get the program back on track.

Anyone who thinks Manning is a better option than Battle is insane. And that is where this search is going if half the things rumored are true.

I think Danny would be a great hire ⛄️

The title of this thread should be- "Danny Manning says he's being seriously considered for Wake Forest job."

Back