• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon - (and beyond) Discussion (spoilers allowed)

Were there other unknown people hanging around? Like it looked like there were main characters dying, but then they all lived.

There were a few nameless, faceless redshirts in the ranging party. I was cracking jokes about their fates before they even got to the battle scene.

So seasons gonna end with night king on a dragon scaling or coming over the wall

Guessing Sam and/or Bran will finally tell Jon he is a Targ

Real question is what happens when Lannisters, Greyjoys, Starks, Targs all finally meet as per the preview? I kind of hope something other than them setting up a humans vs walkers. Need a little more drama than that

Yeah, everyone had a weapon to kill them at the end.
Jon - Valyrian steel sword
Tormund - Had a traditional axe but switched to dragonglass axe before island battle
Jorah - Had dragonglass daggers
Beric/Thoros - Fire sword
Hound - Had a sword, then Gendry's hammer, then dragonglass improvised weaponry at the end

You could see that The Hound wasn't actually killing anything with his regular weapons while the others were killing all they faced.

I aspire to be able to notice this level of detail in a show someday

Also the killing a white walker and his risen followers dying seams like a cheap cop out considering we have already seen white walkers die and nothing happen to followers

So why was the uncle there to come to the rescue and why did he commit suicide by wights?

Also why didn't chief white walker kill all them fools on the island with his spear while they were sleeping/freezing? Or why didn't he throw the original spear at Dragon who was a much easier target

Either way, kick ass episode, but the speed and absurdity is finally starting to get to me after pushing all of it away for the last few episodes/seasons

Either way, kick ass episode, but the speed and absurdity is finally starting to get to me after pushing all of it away for the last few episodes/seasons

Fast travel hadn't really bothered me until tonight.

I wanna know where the Night King got those huge chains.

Giant chains to potentially use to climb the wall maybe. There's literally no reason why that army would be carrying chains around just because. Even if they captured chains from a ship anchor or something why would they have them at the battle but anyways PURE COCAINE LETS GOOOOOO

Agreed. I just couldn't find a way to justify the run to the wall, send a raven, Dany flies in with dragon all before they freeze to death/get killed

This reddit user did the math (approximations and assumptions galore), but it comes out to about a 2000 mile trip from Eastwatch to & from Dragonstone. They assume the raven has flight characteristics of a carrier pigeon (about 1100 miles at 50/mph without rest) and 8 hours of rest for the Raven. Unfortunately I think they also assume the same speed/distance for a Dragon, which I would assume would be much faster. But it's not real so who knows.

Since I think they only showed night one time, it'd be odd to match the conclusion of approximately 4 days for the Raven to reach Dragonstone and Dany to make it to them without loss of life. But the fact that the time for the Raven/Dragon/Dany to travel matches the approximate time it would take for the ice to freeze is pretty cool.

I've seen this theory, and its very interesting. I could also seeing the original Three Eyed Raven as being Bran and he came back to guide himself to the correct places/to see the same things. A key point being that the Three Eyed Raven is apparently stuck in the tree without being able to walk, same as Bran.

Though I think the Night King theory probably has more evidence or connections.

This reddit user did the math (approximations and assumptions galore), but it comes out to about a 2000 mile trip from Eastwatch to & from Dragonstone. They assume the raven has flight characteristics of a carrier pigeon (about 1100 miles at 50/mph without rest) and 8 hours of rest for the Raven. Unfortunately I think they also assume the same speed/distance for a Dragon, which I would assume would be much faster. But it's not real so who knows.

Since I think they only showed night one time, it'd be odd to match the conclusion of approximately 4 days for the Raven to reach Dragonstone and Dany to make it to them without loss of life. But the fact that the time for the Raven/Dragon/Dany to travel matches the approximate time it would take for the ice to freeze is pretty cool.

I get all the complaining about the show being rushed when they skip on character development or have Bronn and Jamie conveniently show up on the other side of the river while Dany and the Dothraki hoard conveniently let him go.

I don't get the bitching about some very technical timeline issues. I'm glad the show doesn't do a quick shot to show me every night that passes on a journey.

Giant chains to potentially use to climb the wall maybe. There's literally no reason why that army would be carrying chains around just because. Even if they captured chains from a ship anchor or something why would they have them at the battle but anyways PURE COCAINE LETS GOOOOOO

Do people think this show is being shot in real time?

Like when they cut from the ship sailing back to Dragonstone to the wights pulling the dragon out of the water do you think that those two things must absolutely be happening simultaneously?

Pretty sure they had time to go grab those chains from wherever they last saw them.

Good point, in retrospect not sure why I thought that was taking place right after the battle. I may be conflating with benjen rescued jon which was right after battle. I think chains must have come from a ship!

My biggest gripe with timeline in this season, even though a technicality, is that it isn't consistent with how previous seasons' timing was portrayed. I have just recently became a fan so maybe it's because I've seen most of the series in the past few months then all of a sudden this season seems like a big departure / isn't internally consistent so it's making my brain work to try and keep it all consistent. I didn't have to do that in previous seasons. When it comes to fantasy, internal consistency is a must if you want people to stay in the zone!

I love the show and all, but Benjen suddenly reappearing to swoop in and give Jon Snow his horse and then be like, "no time for me to hop aboard too even though it seems like there's plenty of time" was kind of dumb. Also, they are ruining Arya and Sansa, especially Arya. But, I really like the flaming sword so whatever.

Saw an interesting theory that Cersei doesn't see the wight/undead army as a threat next episode, that she uses it as a weapon and just like any other zombie movie, when you take one into a crowded place, people die and zombies multiply. I think, if it happens, that would push everyone over the edge, and could lead to Daenerys throwing out that suggestion to not melt the city to the ground.

In response to the above, I don't think anyone thinks the episode is happening in real time, but I think there is a general acceptance or understanding that each episode portrays events immediately after the last. And you can't say that everything happens in a logical timeline this season. It's completely obvious where the show ran out of source material and just started making happen what needed to happen. They didn't have detailed accounts of characters' journeys or trips to and from distant places, and they decided the destination was more important. Just because people point that out and claim it is noticeable doesn't mean they don't understand or don't like the show. It's just not the same as it has been and it is definitely jarring. Still amazing though.

Back