• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon - (and beyond) Discussion (spoilers allowed)

Also, gonna throw this out there: the thing where Arya carries like actual rubber face masks around with her in a satchel is sort of stupid. Kind of reminds me of the midichlorians or whatever. Just let the faceless man thing be all magic instead of a Halloween mask.

Wights aren't zombies like in the movies, you aren't killed by a wight and become a wight. You are killed by any means and raised by a white walker.

If somehow Cersei "sees the light" and is like yeah let's fight together that will be a huge stretch. I think everyone is just waiting to see how she tries to fuck everyone with the new information

Like, Arya has to physically cut off the face of her victims to become them? I wasn't aware of that, but that was definitely the implication of her threat to Sansa. But then the masks she carries in her backpack look like rubber. What's up with that? Did no one notice that Walder Frey has the face of Walder Frey but the body of a 13-year-old girl? So many questions. Perhaps the book answers this stuff. One of you book nerds - help me out.

I love the show and all, but Benjen suddenly reappearing to swoop in and give Jon Snow his horse and then be like, "no time for me to hop aboard too even though it seems like there's plenty of time" was kind of dumb. Also, they are ruining Arya and Sansa, especially Arya. But, I really like the flaming sword so whatever.

agree about arya and sansa. for all arya's growth she is still bitter at sansa from being a jerk in season one. get over it.

no problem with benjen showing up. he was last seen near the wall and there is a huge army of zombies and ww's rolling around. why would he not be keeping an eye on them? he only shows himself when he realizes it was jon's only chance to escape.

When Arya was training in the temple it showed how they prepared bodies and harvested the face.
The face is needed to create the body/voice illusion magic, it's not just a mask.

Good point, in retrospect not sure why I thought that was taking place right after the battle. I may be conflating with benjen rescued jon which was right after battle. I think chains must have come from a ship!

My biggest gripe with timeline in this season, even though a technicality, is that it isn't consistent with how previous seasons' timing was portrayed. I have just recently became a fan so maybe it's because I've seen most of the series in the past few months then all of a sudden this season seems like a big departure / isn't internally consistent so it's making my brain work to try and keep it all consistent. I didn't have to do that in previous seasons. When it comes to fantasy, internal consistency is a must if you want people to stay in the zone!

I definitely agree the show has changed how they portray the passage of time, and part of that is their own fault (condensing the final two seasons into 13 episodes); I just think it's not that hard as a viewer to understand the change and make the adjustment.

I miss some of the meandering travel scenes from earlier seasons but am OK with foregoing them in service of moving the plot forward. I did like the banter on the walk north of the wall, though I think the length of that scene led to some confusion about the timeline at the end of the episode.

I love the show and all, but Benjen suddenly reappearing to swoop in and give Jon Snow his horse and then be like, "no time for me to hop aboard too even though it seems like there's plenty of time" was kind of dumb. Also, they are ruining Arya and Sansa, especially Arya. But, I really like the flaming sword so whatever.

Think the worry was horse being slower/unable to make it back to the Wall if the wights were in pursuit.

Saw an interesting theory that Cersei doesn't see the wight/undead army as a threat next episode, that she uses it as a weapon and just like any other zombie movie, when you take one into a crowded place, people die and zombies multiply. I think, if it happens, that would push everyone over the edge, and could lead to Daenerys throwing out that suggestion to not melt the city to the ground.

In response to the above, I don't think anyone thinks the episode is happening in real time, but I think there is a general acceptance or understanding that each episode portrays events immediately after the last. And you can't say that everything happens in a logical timeline this season. It's completely obvious where the show ran out of source material and just started making happen what needed to happen. They didn't have detailed accounts of characters' journeys or trips to and from distant places, and they decided the destination was more important. Just because people point that out and claim it is noticeable doesn't mean they don't understand or don't like the show. It's just not the same as it has been and it is definitely jarring. Still amazing though.

I haven't looked into the timeline in much depth but I haven't seen anything definitively proving that the timing this season hasn't been internally logical.

I also highly disagree with the bold. I've never gotten that sense and I feel like the show runners at one point might have explicitly said this wasn't the case. I also don't think that's the case in the books either.

I definitely agree the show has changed how they portray the passage of time, and part of that is their own fault (condensing the final two seasons into 13 episodes); I just think it's not that hard as a viewer to understand the change and make the adjustment.

I miss some of the meandering travel scenes from earlier seasons but am OK with foregoing them in service of moving the plot forward. I did like the banter on the walk north of the wall, though I think the length of that scene led to some confusion about the timeline at the end of the episode.

feel the same way.

I haven't looked into the timeline in much depth but I haven't seen anything definitively proving that the timing this season hasn't been internally logical.

I also highly disagree with the bold. I've never gotten that sense and I feel like the show runners at one point might have explicitly said this wasn't the case. I also don't think that's the case in the books either.

Yeah, books four and five happen simultaneously, he didn't want to switch between so many story lines, so he split it in half that way instead of chronologically.
Still, I think they should put in the CSI DUH-DUH-DUH sound and show like "12 HOURS LATER" on the screen

Also the Arya/Sansa interactions are annoying but also an incredibly realistic portrayal of two sisters returning home after years away/apart. Similarly to Bran's coldness/weirdness and Jon's decision to go north of the wall as part of some half-baked plan, I think the showrunners are getting a lot of flak for things that are really just characters acting as one would expect.

The show still has cool moments, but the plotting this season is just bad and this episode is the worst of it:

- How could anyone think that this plan to capture a wight and bring it to Cersei was a good idea in the first place?
-And then when it turns to shit Dany flies all the way from Dragonstone? Ridiculous
-Then Benjen just shows up at the end and sacrifices himself for basically no reason?
- And the giant crossbow bolt that hits the dragon a couple episodes ago does basically 0 damage, but one throw of the ice spear takes one down easily?
- Add on Arya acting like an idiot, Gendry the running champion, and Jon calling her "Dany" and this has to be a bottom 5 episode of the show.

Yeah, books four and five happen simultaneously, he didn't want to switch between so many story lines, so he split it in half that way instead of chronologically.
Still, I think they should put in the CSI DUH-DUH-DUH sound and show like "12 HOURS LATER" on the screen

Ugh, that would be fucking awful.

The show still has cool moments, but the plotting this season is just bad and this episode is the worst of it:

- How could anyone think that this plan to capture a wight and bring it to Cersei was a good idea in the first place?
-And then when it turns to shit Dany flies all the way from Dragonstone? Ridiculous
-Then Benjen just shows up at the end and sacrifices himself for basically no reason?
- And the giant crossbow bolt that hits the dragon a couple episodes ago does basically 0 damage, but one throw of the ice spear takes one down easily?
- Add on Arya acting like an idiot, Gendry the running champion, and Jon calling her "Dany" and this has to be a bottom 5 episode of the show.

the giant NON MAGICAL crossbow bolt hits a wing or something vs. magical ice spear thrown at mach 25 hitting the neck. DO you even fantasy bro?

nah i think the ayra stuff is way stupid. first of all robb stark read that note that sansa was forced to write in front of all his northern bannermen and immediately knew what it was. people in the north should know about that note... and it wasn't even a slightest of a deal then. sansa was literally a child being held hostage.

also, ayra trained with magical fucking assassins that showed her the ways of stealth and deceit and she can't tell this is a trap from this fucking donk littlefinger? only way it makes sense is if she's just pretending to be dumb about it to keep littlefinger off-guard for the time being.

nah i think the ayra stuff is way stupid. first of all robb stark read that note that sansa was forced to write in front of all his northern bannermen and immediately knew what it was. people in the north should know about that note... and it wasn't even a slightest of a deal then. sansa was literally a child being held hostage.

also, ayra trained with magical fucking assassins that showed her the ways of stealth and deceit and she can't tell this is a trap from this fucking donk littlefinger? only way it makes sense is if she's just pretending to be dumb about it to keep littlefinger off-guard for the time being.

Yeah how stupid do they think we are? Like people wouldn't realize she was forced to write it as a prisoner? Arya is jumping the shark for me

I just saw that one of the producers said there was a scene filmed for Episode 2 that was a farewell scene between Jon and Ghost but it got cut. So apparently Ghost is done being in the show, or at least with Jon.

Which sorta makes sense now that they've been distancing him from his Stark heritage and shifting him to the dragon/Targaryen heritage. But poor Ghost :(

And from my comments about Cersei above, I didn't mean that wight would turn everyone, more that Cersei is going to scheme to use them for her own benefit if possible. Maybe she has Qyburn, the lover of the undead, take a look at it and come up with something. Though like every theory, I'm doubtful it happens. Just trying to figure out Cersei's plan.

I think once Jaime finds out she's not pregnant (if that's the case), that's the moment she loses his support.

Sansa was Robb's little sister, but Arya's older sister. Also Arya is looking at it now, having been through hell and back. Seems logical that Robb and Arya would both react they way they did/have. Also she is not saying she doesn't realize she was "forced" to do it; she is just saying that Sansa should have resisted/refused.

Back