• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

General Election Thread: Two Weeks Out

CtuhIy4VYAEKAGg.jpg

He's right. Her dismissive line about "Sweden" after talking about all the free shit millennials want did get a laugh from the rich people at the fundraiser.

Yeah, I wasn't sure why Trump didn't bring that up in the debate. It is a fucking real estate company, federal income taxes are basically meaningless to it as compared to property taxes (and which obviously get deducted from the federal income tax calculation).

Earthquake Warning in California
The recent swarm of earthquakes near the Salton Sea has prompted an earthquake advisory from the California Office of Emergency Services.

The advisory includes Imperial , San Diego , Los Angeles , San Bernardino , Orange , Ventura , Riverside and Kern counties. The earthquake swarm began Monday and more than 150 earthquakes with magnitudes reaching up to 4.3 have been recorded. The advisory indicates a major event could occur by October 4th.
http://kxoradio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6503:earthquake-warning-issued&catid=8:local&Itemid=103

As opposed to Trump who has abused workers for nearly half a century; who builds hotels and golf courses where the employees and 98% of the public could never afford to stay or play; whose modeling agency committed 1000s of immigration violations and cheated the girls;who stole tens of millions of dollars from everyday people who built his properties because as an elitist he could afford the lawyers that they couldn't.

You and the bobs are hypocrites in not saying Trump is the epitome of elitism and total disregard for everyone other than himself.

Yeah, I wasn't sure why Trump didn't bring that up in the debate. It is a fucking real estate company, federal income taxes are basically meaningless to it as compared to property taxes (and which obviously get deducted from the federal income tax calculation).

Trump doesn't know the code. His army of lawyers and accountants. If you think his tax helps anyone other than himself and other extremely rich people, then you are delusional beyond any possible description.

In his entire life, Trump has never cared about anyone not named Trump.

Well, I have about resigned myself to the fact that the despicable Hillary Clinton is going to be the next president. How in the world did this nation sink to this level? I don't particularly mind Trump losing, because it was always virtually impossible to make a valid case that he should ever be president, anyway....but what is absolutely awful is Hillary winning the presidency. Something is deadly wrong in our political system when the nation has to choose between these two people for its president.

I am also about resigned to the incredulous idea that both candidates want Hillary to win. Trump stayed focused for 3 or 4 weeks and the contest became almost a dead-heat, with Trump being given up to a 45% chance to win. Then, as soon as that happened, he went completely off the rails again. Many people here said that it was "Trump not being able to help himself"...but I'm not so sure that is what happened at all. I think that there is at least an arguable case that Trump did this intentionally, as winning was getting "too close to comfort" for him. The only way that Hillary can lose this election is if it turns out to be another "Brexit" where there are enough enraged voters to vote against her come hell or high water, consequences be damned.

You see, I am beginning to believe that Trump never wanted to be President from the beginning. Being President is a job...and a very difficult & stressful one. The ego is served by the adulation of running for the job....but the real work comes after you get the job. Why would a 70-year old man with $5 billion or whatever he has want to tie himself down to a killer of a job like the presidency for four years? That never made any sense to me. What makes much more sense to me is that Trump, in addition to feeding his ego for the last year, has some kind of a financial angle whereby he can parlay his "run" for the presidency into another media network of some kind where he can profit by continuing to promote some of the issues that created his political base...which turned out to be much larger than most of the pundits realized.

In other words, where I disagree with many posters on this board is that I think Donald Trump is a lot smarter than many posters think he is. They think he is just flying off the handle because he can't help himself. I think there is a possibility that there is a calculated reason behind all the stuff he has done in this campaign......but that reason does not include winning the presidency. And that is very frustrating...when you are pulling for a guy to win and you have decided that he is trying to lose.

Last edited:

This is just a demonstration of clueless people trying to analyze something they don't understand. It has nothing to do with the amount of taxes that NYT paid in 2014. Forbes, which should be a sophisticated commentator, ought to be ashamed of themselves. Looking at their footnote the NYT paid a considerable amount of federal and state taxes. Uncertain tax positions is a financial accounting concept and has nothing to do with taxes paid. That $21.1 million benefit they recognized on their financial statements offset $21.1 million in expense that they had recognized at some point in the past. It has zippo to do with the taxes they actually paid. If they had ended up having to pay that $21.1 million before the statute expired, they wouldn't have recognized any expense for financial reporting purposes.

… for tax year 2014, The New York Times paid no taxes and got an income tax refund of $3.5 million even though they had a pre-tax profit of $29.9 million in 2014. In other words, their post-tax profit was higher than their pre-tax profit. The explanation in their 2014 annual report is, “The effective tax rate for 2014 was favorably affected by approximately $21.1 million for the reversal of reserves for uncertain tax positions due to the lapse of applicable statutes of limitations.” If you don’t think it took fancy accountants and tax lawyers to make that happen, read the statement again.

Last edited:
:rofl:
I bet libs like Chris will defend.

Unlike you, I have some regard for the truth.

I have actually had this same dispute with liberals on this board who have brought up this erroneous point based on half-baked financial analysis by some reporter who doesn't know what he is talking about. When something is clearly BS, and you know it is, you should set the record straight

Last edited:
This big tax story is shaping up to be a big YAWN, despite the MSM breathlessly covering it and anti-Trump Dems spending the past year demanding them. Not even trending on twitter at the moment.

Back