• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

The NCAA balked when UNC challenged its jurisdiction (the accreditation folks have jurisdiction), and then the NCAA amended its allegations to strip those out; the NCAA gets sellers remorse (and/or starts to feel an existential threat exists, either concurrently or collaterally, especially with the movement towards autonomy) and re-amends to re-include as a part of their re-investigation to re-punish.

Reminder: 40% of Power Five Commissioners are UNC alums, as is the head of ESPN. This is about to get good.

there is a truly staggering amount of incomprehensible nonsense in this part of this post

RIP Heavy Petter

You never got to see UNC-CH punished for their cheating and corruption. Sadly, many of us will likely die of old age before justice is served.

Appears that it's bringing back redacted allegations from the first NOA (i.e. basketball).

I would be cool if the NCAA just forced Redacted to be their basketball coach for the next 4 years. That is appropriate punishment for what they did.

The NCAA balked when UNC challenged its jurisdiction (the accreditation folks have jurisdiction), and then the NCAA amended its allegations to strip those out; the NCAA gets sellers remorse (and/or starts to feel an existential threat exists, either concurrently or collaterally, especially with the movement towards autonomy) and re-amends to re-include as a part of their re-investigation to re-punish.

Reminder: 40% of Power Five Commissioners are UNC alums, as is the head of ESPN. This is about to get good.

DRAIN THE SWAMP !

there is a truly staggering amount of incomprehensible nonsense in this part of this post

How do you know it is nonsense if it is incomprehensible? Perhaps it's just over your head. What really I should do is just dumb it down for you, and then you'd be able to appreciate the full magnitude of its genius.

How do you know it is nonsense if it is incomprehensible? Perhaps it's just over your head. What really I should do is just dumb it down for you, and then you'd be able to appreciate the full magnitude of its genius.

i mean "existential threat exists" is kind of a tautology, right?

It sure seems like this has developed into a situation where UNC is no longer disputing the substance of the allegations, but have been waging a war to have the allegations dismissed on procedural grounds / technicalities. Expect to hear a lot more in the coming days about UNC’s arguments about evidence being inadmissible, evidence being used from previous investigations, statute of limitations violations, and lack of NCAA jurisdiction. Yet nothing about taking responsibility.

It’s equally clear that UNC has aggravated the NCAA’s enforcement staff with their approach. But since it will ultimately be decided by the Committee on Infractions it’s hard to tell where this will all lead. But unless/until UNC drops their technical appeals you’d think this could go on for a lot longer.

Is it possible that the NCAA enforcement staff thought they had basically negotiated a plea (with the second NOA) and feel that UNC didn’t live up to their end of the bargain?

IC calling for legal action against the NCAA. Sure hope that happens. Discovery would be interesting.

It sure seems like this has developed into a situation where UNC is no longer disputing the substance of the allegations, but have been waging a war to have the allegations dismissed on procedural grounds / technicalities. Expect to hear a lot more in the coming days about UNC’s arguments about evidence being inadmissible, evidence being used from previous investigations, statute of limitations violations, and lack of NCAA jurisdiction. Yet nothing about taking

It’s equally clear that UNC has aggravated the NCAA’s enforcement staff with their approach. But since it will ultimately be decided by the Committee on Infractions it’s hard to tell where this will all lead. But unless/until UNC drops their technical appeals you’d think this could go on for a lot longer.

Is it possible that the NCAA enforcement staff thought they had basically negotiated a plea (with the second NOA) and feel that UNC didn’t live up to their end of the bargain?

One day they are going to wake up and figure out they have a bunch of high paid lawyers, but they aren't in a court of law. They are going to get smoked.

It sure seems like this has developed into a situation where UNC is no longer disputing the substance of the allegations, but have been waging a war to have the allegations dismissed on procedural grounds / technicalities. Expect to hear a lot more in the coming days about UNC’s arguments about evidence being inadmissible, evidence being used from previous investigations, statute of limitations violations, and lack of NCAA jurisdiction. Yet nothing about taking responsibility.

I saw somewhere reasonably credible (I think it was David Glenn's twitter, but please don't quote me because I am not sure about that) that the Infractions Committee is driving this, and over-ruling the enforcement staff's jurisdictional questions. If so, get your popcorn. Bilas (admittedly no fan of the NCAA) came out pretty strong for UNC on this front.

Also, UNC fired the football coach, forced out the athletic director and the Chancellor of the University. Self-imposed a post-season ban in the year they won the Division, vacated wins and was on scholarship restriction, in addition to preemptively suspending four NFL players from the 2010 team. They also launched the investigation that brought this to light. I get that "have ducked responsibility at every turn angle", but that hyperbole just doesn't square with indisputable facts.

That was my take on it. I think the NCAA basically floated a slap on the wrist that should have been accepted by everyone involved. Instead of accepting it, UNC looked to Rick Everard, a former NCAA enforcement employee, to deal with the situation. He chose to attack the NCAA. It was called a brilliant move buy some because Everard knew all the weaknesses in the system. But instead of backing down, the NCAA immediately shot back, clearly upset and embarrassed. Not such a brilliant move.

I saw somewhere reasonably credible (I think it was David Glenn's twitter, but please don't quote me because I am not sure about that) that the Infractions Committee is driving this, and over-ruling the enforcement staff's jurisdictional questions. If so, get your popcorn. Bilas (admittedly no fan of the NCAA) came out pretty strong for UNC on this front.

Also, UNC fired the football coach, forced out the athletic director and the Chancellor of the University.

Are you fucking serious ?

Holden Thorp is a good man, and the shit he and his family got from UNC fans is disgraceful.

Back