• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

Specifically listed in the new NOA

• special arrangements not available to the student body
• registration after deadline for athletes
• suggesting assignments
• submitting papers on behalf of student athletes
• requesting paper classes
• recommending course grades for student-athletes
• obtaining assignments on behalf of student-athletes
• excessive involvement by athletics in SA access to fake classes
• courses influenced NCAA academic eligibility

One of these would get you punished. They are going to get hammered.

As in he repeatedly steered his players away from the class right? I'm not missing anything here am I?

No. As in UNC has been convicted of level I , II, and III violations in the past and the NCAA hates repeat offenders.

No. As in UNC has been convicted of level I , II, and III violations in the past and the NCAA hates repeat offenders.

This is pretty funny, since you're referring to the prior findings in THIS case (for which UNC was already punished).

I'll leave you to diddle yourself senseless over the third attempt to punish UNC, but will you promise to come back when UNC ultimately beats this thing?

This reminds me of how much I hate dealing with lawyers. A page and a half of gobbledegook, which is the legal way of just raising hell to distract from the fact that you don't have a counter. Blah blah blah arbitrary blah blah capricious blah blah blah yeah we're pretty much guilty. Shouldn't be surprised since UNC's primary counter was that the NCAA lacked jurisdiction. I mean, that's a pretty nice way to not have to address the substance of the allegations.

The thing that strikes me is that the NCAA absolutely loathes non-cooperation during an investigation more than anything else, and they still have those allegations after the academic fraud. I've gone from thinking UNC is going to skate because this has gone on so long to thinking that UNC is skating on thin ice that may break if they throw another lawyer letter on it.

Wasted my brain cells reading 5 pages of responses on IC. Curiously there wasn't a single mention of championship basketball players having taken sham classes. There were a lot of complaints about a witch hunt, and calls for UNC to sue the NCAA. I guess they believe the slap on the wrist they have given their women's soccer program is punishment enough to keep their basketball program out of the NOA.

If they want to get this thing over so bad, it seems like it would easy enough for them to climb up in the Dean Dome rafters and pull a couple of banners down. I'm pretty sure it's just a couple of bolts to loosen and latches to open. They have to take them down for cleaning every so often, why not just leave them in storage. Easy-peasy

I love that in post-fact America, someone has to admit fault in order to be guilty. Carolina really believes that if they don't mention the basketball program that the NCAA and the rest of the country will just forget to include them in the investigation.

"We punished our Lacrosse team and took away a few football scholarships for a year, that's good enough, right!" "We fired a professor and made a staff member retire early!"

Last edited:
UNC played hardball w the ncaa. Thinking they would buckle. Guess not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I've had 2 UNC fans tell me UNC will take the NCAA down over this. If the NCAA goes away, then those banners they are fighting over are pretty much meaningless, yes?

This is pretty funny, since you're referring to the prior findings in THIS case (for which UNC was already punished).

I'll leave you to diddle yourself senseless over the third attempt to punish UNC, but will you promise to come back when UNC ultimately beats this thing?

I'm not referring to this case. Neither is the NCAA. It's the historical violation record at UNC. Repeat offender . Are you now claiming double jeopardy as part of your other absurd defenses? In addition I didn't state the prior violations or when they occurred.

"Many at-risk athletes, particularly in the sports of football and men's basketball, used these courses for purposes of ensuring their continued NCAA academic eligibility".

That should do it on the banners.

Roy Boy says . .

"My reaction is, I'm tired of this junk," basketball coach Roy Williams said Wednesday night after his team's victory over Northern Iowa. "I've said everything I'm going to say. I felt all along that we have done the right thing, and whatever they do, they have to do."

He's tired of this junk. Poor baby. I feel so sorry for him and the team.

He sounds like Louisville AD Tom Jurich--how dare they interrupt Ray's basketball season with a little thing like 5 Level 1 violations and their possible repercussions to his team.

I saw somewhere reasonably credible (I think it was David Glenn's twitter, but please don't quote me because I am not sure about that) that the Infractions Committee is driving this, and over-ruling the enforcement staff's jurisdictional questions. If so, get your popcorn. Bilas (admittedly no fan of the NCAA) came out pretty strong for UNC on this front.

Also, UNC fired the football coach, forced out the athletic director and the Chancellor of the University. Self-imposed a post-season ban in the year they won the Division, vacated wins and was on scholarship restriction, in addition to preemptively suspending four NFL players from the 2010 team. They also launched the investigation that brought this to light. I get that "have ducked responsibility at every turn angle", but that hyperbole just doesn't square with indisputable facts.

They have not been punished at all since the full extent of the sham class system has been revealed. The basketball team has not been punished at all. The punishments you are talking about were for other infractions. Believe me, we understand that it is hard to keep up - there have been so many.

Back