• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

That's their point. They permitted everyone to cheat...not just athletes. So they should not be charged with giving special benefits to athletes: everyone received free grades that they did not earn...at least everyone enrolled in the sham courses.

US News really needs to factor this into their rankings. At least throw us an asterisk.

That's their point. They permitted everyone to cheat...not just athletes. So they should not be charged with giving special benefits to athletes: everyone received free grades that they did not earn...at least everyone enrolled in the sham courses.

Right, but what's the average percentage of athletes in classes? In these sham classes, it was around 50%. And it has been proven that athletes were steered into those classes. So yeah, that's an obvious example to manipulate a corrupt system to benefit athletes (IMHO of course).

Right, but what's the average percentage of athletes in classes? In these sham classes, it was around 50%. And it has been proven that athletes were steered into those classes. So yeah, that's an obvious example to manipulate a corrupt system to benefit athletes (IMHO of course).

I was writing tongue in cheek. Of course, the courses were designed to preserve the eligibility of athletes and to inflate GPAs. It was clever and they may escape the punishment they deserve. But perhaps not. There were people on the inside who warned the school that this was occurring. It is striking to trace out what became of those individuals. My hope is that some of that will come to light in the NCAA investigation.

The fact that regular students couldn't be prevented from enrolling in fake classes set up for athletes does not mean it wasn't a special benefit. It would be interesting to know how many times a football/basketball player was not able to enroll for a class b/c it was full, vs. regular students who could not get in for the same reason. Dollar to a donut the players got first crack at enrolling and the other students picked up any leftovers.

The fact that regular students couldn't be prevented from enrolling in fake classes set up for athletes does not mean it wasn't a special benefit. It would be interesting to know how many times a football/basketball player was not able to enroll for a class b/c it was full, vs. regular students who could not get in for the same reason. Dollar to a donut the players got first crack at enrolling and the other students picked up any leftovers.
The scam was set up for regular students too.......wink wink.

In my experience athletes always enroll before it's open to regular students to make sure they get a class schedule that doesn't conflict with practice.

If UNC either challenges punishment in court or refuses to accept punishment, the NCAA should kick them out of the NCAA. UNC has no right to be in the NCAA. If they were gone, the NCAA would not lose anything long term. For a year or two they might be down, but that's it.

The players would find homes and other teams will get their fans.

Amazing UNC can't see that an organization that takes in a $Billion, can hire some pretty damn good attorneys of their own. They act like The NCAA has this huge fear of their representation and quakes in the presence of UNC attorneys. It's laughable.

The comment section in that article is that exact reason why Carolina can go to hell.

My favorite logic from UNC fans is the "the classes were set up for EVERYONE to cheat...not just athletes" defense.

The fans refuse to accept the logic that the athletes are competing with 300+ other universities for athletic championships. These same fans love to pretend like the athletes ineligibility on the field/court shouldn't matter because Johnny Douchebag the business major was ALSO taking make believe courses.

The comment section in that article is that exact reason why Carolina can go to hell.

What Bubba fails to address is that emails show that course sections of the no show classes were created at the behest of a glorified secretary in the athletics department to accommodate revenue sport athletes in danger of becoming ineligible. That is all the NCAA need demonstrate to show improper benefits to athletes.

The above comment to the article sums up 100% what the majority of Hole apologists just won't accept. I guarantee you the "regular" students who were able to get in on these "classes" made jokes to all their buds about piggy-backing on the jocks to be able to get a free A.

Sadly, the majority of UNC fans (at least the ones I know) live in another world when it comes to assessing their athletic program. The blindness is staggering. Or, should I say, "the capacity to rationalize blatantly bad behavior" is staggering?

Well we will know where we all were when this shit is finally put to bed. Either NCAA kills Holes or NCAA will just go away.

I don't see any way UNC escapes significant sanctions. Over the last year, several schools have been hammered for academic misconduct. And despite its bluster, UNC wants no part of litigation. Being subject to discovery and subpoena power would not bode well for UNC.

I don't see any way UNC escapes significant sanctions. Over the last year, several schools have been hammered for academic misconduct. And despite its bluster, UNC wants no part of litigation. Being subject to discovery and subpoena power would not bode well for UNC.

There have been the occasional hints that the sham independent study stuff extended beyond the Af-Am Dept and the few professors acknowledged to be involved. If this goes to court and people are put under court oath and at risk of perjury, there may be more found out about other areas. If that happened, the accreditation could be back under review.

Sadly, the majority of UNC fans (at least the ones I know) live in another world when it comes to assessing their athletic program. The blindness is staggering. Or, should I say, "the capacity to rationalize blatantly bad behavior" is staggering?

Tarheels:UNCheating :: Trump Supporters:Trump-Russia

"The football team hasn't won anything that really mattered since Choo-Choo Justice played there"

I love that quote ....

Well we will know where we all were when this shit is finally put to bed. Either NCAA kills Holes or NCAA will just go away.

No, I think the worst and yet most likely outcome is that the Heels skate, and the NCAA gets some criticism, but people move on. Essentially no one on either side will be held accountable. This is how the game is played I fear.

Back