• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

No, I think the worst and yet most likely outcome is that the Heels skate, and the NCAA gets some criticism, but people move on. Essentially no one on either side will be held accountable. This is how the game is played I fear.

This. Unfortunately.

No, I think the worst and yet most likely outcome is that the Heels skate, and the NCAA gets some criticism, but people move on. Essentially no one on either side will be held accountable. This is how the game is played I fear.

This is what I fear; but, I am beginning to think that perhaps something significant is going to occur. Perhaps it is normal, but I wonder if requesting that the 3 head coaches be present at the hearing is not an indication of something fairly severe.

Men's Basketball and Football will not be touched but they are going to kill the Women's BB team and the NCAA likely will then trumpet how they really enforced the rules, yada yada yada. Either that or they will add another year of penalties to a school already on probation in D2

Men's Basketball and Football will not be touched but they are going to kill the Women's BB team and the NCAA likely will then trumpet how they really enforced the rules, yada yada yada. Either that or they will add another year of penalties to a school already on probation in D2

This was the "plea bargain" offered by the NCAA in the first amended NOI. UNC did not accept.

whatever they receive, wake fans will post about it for 3000 posts

Wake's (and other ACC teams) athletic fortunes have been directly impacted for decades by UNC being able to keep players eligible when they might otherwise have had to play individuals with lesser talent who actually were capable of and put in the effort to do college work.

If UNC skates on such a high profile case, then academic cheating will flourish and the "student athlete" will be more of a farce than it already is. I can't imagine another athlete having academic eligibility problems ever again (except at Wake, of course). It would bring us one step closer to the professional model, IMHO. There would be a competitive divide between the "cheating" schools and those with "academic integrity (again, Wake)." Oh, and the NCAA would also owe Harrick and UGa an apology.

I know "precedent" means nothing to the NCAA, but I can't fathom another school accepting academic related punishment should UNC skate.

The penalties they get or don't get don't really mean that much. Who cares if they get NCAA penalties that might affect play on the court or field for a few years? The real damage is that the reputation of UNC is forever stained and it will never change, regardless of whether they get off with a wrist slap or heavy penalties. It is no longer considered a class act in terms of the school and the way it runs it's athletics programs. That's just the way it is. Anytime they win, the response to the win can always be "cheaters" and there's just nothing UNC folks can do about that. It's there. The reputation has changed and it will never be what it once was - penalties by the NCAA or not.

THAT's the real penalty and the real damage.

I think they're going to get slammed if they would have accepted the plea bargain it would have gone easy but they they've basically questioned the authority of the NCAA

I think they're going to get slammed if they would have accepted the plea bargain it would have gone easy but they they've basically questioned the authority of the NCAA

Yep, i'm thinking the same thing. Hope we are both right and we get shades of SMU (Fat chance I know).

This was the "plea bargain" offered by the NCAA in the first amended NOI. UNC did not accept.
I still don't understand why they didn't just take that and run. What was the point of bowing up on the NCAA and trying to make them look bad? That almost forces the NCAA to do something more serious because the NCAA has two choices.....back down and let UNC skate OR punish and risk a UNC lawsuit. Either way, their legitimacy/authority is threatened but in only one case is the outcome under their control (and known). I suppose they could still convince UNC to take the plea bargain. Maybe that's why they requested Deputy Dawg to be there....dagum NCAA!

I still don't understand why they didn't just take that and run. What was the point of bowing up on the NCAA and trying to make them look bad? That almost forces the NCAA to do something more serious because the NCAA has two choices.....back down and let UNC skate OR punish and risk a UNC lawsuit. Either way, their legitimacy/authority is threatened but in only one case is the outcome under their control (and known). I suppose they could still convince UNC to take the plea bargain. Maybe that's why they requested Deputy Dawg to be there....dagum NCAA!

Lawsuit would be the greatest thing ever. Get them all under oath. When or lose the case, that's worse case scenario for them.

Lawsuit would be the greatest thing ever. Get them all under oath. When or lose the case, that's worse case scenario for them.

Can't believe that anyone in the UNC athletic department wants that. But it would be hugely entertaining for everyone who is not a Heel. It would erase the smug grins off a lot of faces.

Can't believe that anyone in the UNC athletic department wants that. But it would be hugely entertaining for everyone who is not a Heel. It would erase the smug grins off a lot of faces.

There is a small part of me that wants to see UNC take the NCAA to court. Probably would be in Indiana, where the NCAA is headquartered.

The fans I've talked to expect UNC to sue the NCAA if UNC gets penalized. They actually want to take down the NCAA. It's kind of bizarre. I think UNC accepting a penalty (loss of title) and not doing anything is what would stun them.

Wake's (and other ACC teams) athletic fortunes have been directly impacted for decades by UNC being able to keep players eligible when they might otherwise have had to play individuals with lesser talent who actually were capable of and put in the effort to do college work.

so?

The penalties they get or don't get don't really mean that much. Who cares if they get NCAA penalties that might affect play on the court or field for a few years? The real damage is that the reputation of UNC is forever stained and it will never change, regardless of whether they get off with a wrist slap or heavy penalties. It is no longer considered a class act in terms of the school and the way it runs it's athletics programs. That's just the way it is. Anytime they win, the response to the win can always be "cheaters" and there's just nothing UNC folks can do about that. It's there. The reputation has changed and it will never be what it once was - penalties by the NCAA or not.

THAT's the real penalty and the real damage.

Most everyone has already forgotten any of this happened. I barely remember the players/years involved and I followed it pretty closely. unc and the NCAA have successfully dragged this out long enough that it is ancient history, mistakes were made and have already been fixed, let's move on. Besides that the minions of unc alums/politicians/shitty media/idiot fans never accepted any of this anyway...it never happened. If you think about it, absolutely none of this really ever happened.

Back