• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If [Redacted] resigned, who could/would we hire?

Say Hey Deac

Reaction score
Started to discuss this is another thread, but I don't want to derail.

If [Redacted] were to resign today, who would/could we hire?

I fear at this point, even if [Redacted] resigned, we wouldn't/couldn't get Groce or Chris Mooney (who turned down Georgia Tech last year). Shaka and Stevens are absolutely out. By all accounts, the Wake Powers That Be would not go for Gregg Marshall. I'm just not sure who else that leaves. Lehigh coach?

* Note: I intentionally left Wes Miller off the above list not just because of his limited experience, but mainly because I suspect the administration would be reluctant about hiring the son of a huge booster.

** Note 2: Obviously, at this point, the prevailing wisdom is that anyone would be an upgrade to [Redacted], but some specific names would be nice.

I like how we wouldn't hire the son of a big booster, but we'd hire the AD's butt buddy and let him jerk off onto the face of our program.

That's the problem. If we honestly could only get Bzz after the 2010 season, who on earth could we get now if Bzz actually resigned? Shaka wouldn't turn down NC State and Illinois to come to Wake unless he truly is a unique guy. Groce and Mooney will wait for bigger names or build their programs where they are. Same with Stevens, unless he never is able to replicate the success he had with Butler in his first few seasons.

Georgia Tech couldn't get Mooney because they couldn't pay him what Richmond is paying him. I think we could. Fact is he interviewed for both Georgia Tech and Boston College. I think he wants to move into the ACC he just hasn't found the right opportunity. I think Wake would make a lot of sense for him. He will not be UNC's radar and probably not on Duke's (prediction time: UNC- Smart, Duke- Stevens).

I also think Wake could get Groce. He's not at a very good job right now, and, if Wake is to come open, it would be at least the second best job open this season.

Out of the Patriot League I like Dave Paulsen (Bucknell) over Brent Reed (Lehigh).

Last edited:
Goodman at CBS says Illinois has a new target: Groce.

I hate Ron Wellman.

I would also throw a blank check to Buzz Williams, but that wouldn't work out.

I'm here in Richmond and am just not a big Mooney guy. More bad seasons than good at Richmond. Remember how we were all anti-Princeton offense when we got Bz? Well, Mooney actually runs it. Yes, he's better than Bz and yes he's beaten us twice, bit neither are exactly huge endorsements at this point.

I'm here in Richmond and am just not a big Mooney guy. More bad seasons than good at Richmond. Remember how we were all anti-Princeton offense when we got Bz? Well, Mooney actually runs it. Yes, he's better than Bz and yes he's beaten us twice, bit neither are exactly huge endorsements at this point.

I am not really either (well, I used to be). The biggest selling point is that it would be an easier transition than some of these other names because his systems are similar to [Redacted]'s. That said, the player's don't actually seem to know [Redacted]'s systems anyway so maybe that isn't actually relevant.

The program was in really desperate shape when he took over, but I don't like that he went 16-16 this year. All in all, he just isn't as exciting as Groce or Marshall, plus he'd be pretty expensive.

We'd probably have to go the Asst route and look at Dwayne Stephens (MSU), Joe Dooley (KU), Orlando Antigua (UK top recruiter), etc...

The funny thing about Mooney is he's Bzz, but younger and actually has local ties.

Georgia Tech couldn't get Mooney because they couldn't pay him what Richmond is paying him. I think we could. Fact is he interviewed for both Georgia Tech and Boston College. I think he wants to move into the ACC he just hasn't found the right opportunity. I think Wake would make a lot of sense for him. He will not be UNC's radar and probably not on Duke's (prediction time: UNC- Smart, Duke- Stevens).

I also think Wake could get Groce. He's not at a very good job right now, and, if Wake is to come open, it would be at least the second best job open this season.

Out of the Patriot League I like Dave Paulsen (Bucknell) over Brent Reed (Lehigh).

They had that ridiculous Hewitt buyout. 7m. If Reed has another good season next year, I'm pulling for him.

Illinois fans don't seem thrilled with Groce. Hope we give him another option soon.

Last edited:
We'd probably have to go the Asst route and look at Dwayne Stephens (MSU), Joe Dooley (KU), Orlando Antigua (UK top recruiter), etc...

Like the ideas of both Stephens and Dooley, but I find it extremely unlikely we would hire someone from Kentucky (even if he does have a bad ass name) even if he is actually part of the Howland coaching tree. He did play for the Harlem Globetrotters though so that's definitely in his favor.

They had that ridiculous Hewitt buyout. 7m. If Reed has another good season next year, I'm pulling for him.

Plus renovating the Thriller Dome plus Gailey's buyout.

Wake is certainly a better job than Ohio, but unless Groce wants the challenge of playing Duke and UNC each year, he will go elsewhere or stay and dominate his conference.

And I don't think Shaka will go to UNC. They will want to keep it in the family some way, and he doesn't seem to have the personality to fit in with the UNC establishment (or Wake, for that matter).

My guess is Shaka to UCLA, UConn or syracuse when they come open. The Marquette coach would be great, but I am sure he would be a "culture problem"

Wake is certainly a better job than Ohio, but unless Groce wants the challenge of playing Duke and UNC each year, he will go elsewhere or stay and dominate his conference.

And I don't think Shaka will go to UNC. They will want to keep it in the family some way, and he doesn't seem to have the personality to fit in with the UNC establishment (or Wake, for that matter).

Re Shaka and UNC, I thought that too, but the Carolina coaching tree hasn't really cranked out any new names worthy of the position, unless I'm missing someone.

Back