• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If [Redacted] resigned, who could/would we hire?

Wake is certainly a better job than Ohio, but unless Groce wants the challenge of playing Duke and UNC each year, he will go elsewhere or stay and dominate his conference.

And I don't think Shaka will go to UNC. They will want to keep it in the family some way, and he doesn't seem to have the personality to fit in with the UNC establishment (or Wake, for that matter).

What do you mean elsewhere? Given his background at Butler, Xavier, Ohio State, and Ohio, the Big Ten would make the most sense. Well, the Big Ten has a far better stock of coaches than the ACC. It isn't even worth comparing. The ACC's best coach is probably marginally better than the Big Ten's best coach, but Matta versus Williams, Crean versus Hamilton, etc, etc

Matt Painter is probably the 6th or 7th best coach in the Big Ten. Think about that.

If Groce is afraid of competition, then Wake Forest is a better job for him than Illinois.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to get the insight from some of our insiders with DC/AD/Trustee connections on what the feeling might be among those folks about Wes Miller as a future head coach at Wake given his father's status. I do suspect that's an obstacle, although I have no inside info.

I am not an insider in anyway, but I would never want Wes Miller as the head coach at Wake. Right now he has, in no way, shown he should be handed an ACC job. Also, if he came here and was successful all you'd ever hear is that we had to get someone from UNC to come in and fix our mess. (I know about the Miller family ties to Wake, but the vast majority of people who remember Wes Miller would think, "Oh yeah, he played for Carolina."

Georgia Tech couldn't get Mooney because they couldn't pay him what Richmond is paying him. I think we could. Fact is he interviewed for both Georgia Tech and Boston College. I think he wants to move into the ACC he just hasn't found the right opportunity. I think Wake would make a lot of sense for him. He will not be UNC's radar and probably not on Duke's (prediction time: UNC- Smart, Duke- Stevens).

I also think Wake could get Groce. He's not at a very good job right now, and, if Wake is to come open, it would be at least the second best job open this season.

Out of the Patriot League I like Dave Paulsen (Bucknell) over Brent Reed (Lehigh).

Is Smart a UNC guy? Doesn't UNC only hire former holes?

Is Smart a UNC guy? Doesn't UNC only hire former holes?

In the past, but who's out there now?

Mark Turgeon is pretty much the only Kansas/Carolina product I can think of that is at all accomplished as a coach. Unless Miller comes on quickly I don't think they will be able to make that a prerequisite.

Is Roy going anywhere any time soon? Surely he has another good 5-10 years in him.

Is Roy going anywhere any time soon? Surely he has another good 5-10 years in him.

Maybe five, don't seem him going much longer than that. Dean Smith was 66 when he retired; Roy Williams is 61.

My list in order

1. Shaka
2. Groce
3. Marshall
4. Could we pull Alford from New Mexico?
5. What about Fisher from SDSU?

My list in order

1. Shaka
2. Groce
3. Marshall
4. Could we pull Alford from New Mexico?
5. What about Fisher from SDSU?

Fisher is 67 plus he has a record of NCAA problems. Alford allegedly already said no thanks.

The only who that is even plausible is Groce and I think we missed the boat on him.

Alford has said no thanks to us before or just leaving New Mexico in general?

Hey I was just asking I no very little about the background of most of these coaches just what I see of their teams.

Buzz Williams recruits a lot of JUCOs at Marquette. Not sure how he would do without that tool in his arsenal.

Is possible Wellman would attempt to get us a coach before firing Bz? And if everyone says no we are stuck?

Alford has said no thanks to us before or just leaving New Mexico in general?

Supposedly he was one of Wellman's top targets in 2010.

I think it says a lot about the sales job Wellman did.

New Mexico is one of the mid-major jobs, but it isn't Xavier, Butler, Gonzaga, etc.

Is possible Wellman would attempt to get us a coach before firing Bz? And if everyone says no we are stuck?

I've wondered about that myself...

It's hard to believe that Wellman would do that to a "friend," but coming off the embarrassment of the [Redacted] hire and the past two seasons I wouldn't be surprised if Wellman tried that route out of caution and a desire to avoid further personal embarrassment...

Back