• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If [Redacted] resigned, who could/would we hire?

Wasn't Michigan on probation for the fab 5 during that time? It is hard to succeed on probation.

Wasn't Michigan on probation for the fab 5 during that time? It is hard to succeed on probation.

It was apparent to me that he had plateu'd in the last couple years. Maybe someone can sway me but I remember thinking he was mediocre at best. Didn't I hear on the tourney broadcast that this year was only scond time one of his teams made the tourney? In what, 15 years of coaching if not more?

Loosely related, but apparently Stevens said no thanks to Illinois tonight.

Seems that job is not as attractive as many here think it is. Hopefully Groce feels the same way.

Stevens saying no is not the least bit surprising. Neither is Shaka really.

Alford has said no thanks to us before or just leaving New Mexico in general?

My guess = Alford gambled that Crean would get runout of IU this year. Things could be different now that everyone knows IU won't have an opening for a long time.

Groce would be a wonderful hire.

The trend is good coaches are staying at small schools where they can have better job security and win conference titles and go to the NCAA's without as much pressure. We are not an appealing job right and I think we may have missed our chance at a good up and coming young coach that kind energize the program. We will be stuck with a nobody after Bz.

Kind of odd that Chris Mack's name hasn't been mentioned yet. I know there's the problem of burned bridges and whatnot, but he is a former WFU assistant who just led his mid-major team to the Sweet 16.

I don't think they are considered a mid-major anymore.

Xavier's been a better job than Wake for awhile now. They've made four Sweet Sixteens since our last one in '04. They made it in '04 as well.

The trend is good coaches are staying at small schools where they can have better job security and win conference titles and go to the NCAA's without as much pressure. We are not an appealing job right and I think we may have missed our chance at a good up and coming young coach that kind energize the program. We will be stuck with a nobody after Bz.

Give the job to Battle. He's the reason a lot of the kids are coming in the first place. Can't be any worse than Bz.... Hell, maybe he's the one that should have gotten in years ago. All I know is another year of [Redacted] and we're likely to have 12 walk ons.

Loosely related, but apparently Stevens said no thanks to Illinois tonight.

Seems that job is not as attractive as many here think it is. Hopefully Groce feels the same way.

The biggest problem with the Illinois job is you have to recruit Chicago because Illinois has no real national profile for recruiting, and recruiting Chicago means getting really dirty.

Gregg Marshall was and is our best bet for a program rebuilder. The fact that Ron Wellman did not even interview him two years ago speaks volumes about Ron's judgment on picking the next coach.

Does anyone have any idea at all what jobs Stevens and Shake are waiting on or are they just content where they are with not much pressure and pretty good paychecks?

What about Jaime Dixon? He's a helluva coach. Is Pitt a better job than Wake?

Do Shaka and Stevens even have "good" paychecks right now?

Dixon is coming to the ACC, so I doubt it. Plus, Pitt is a much better job right now. He's been recruiting very well there.

How about Frank Martin (looking at the rumor that he might go to South Carolina)? Dude is shady, but fuck that. Mr. Rogers is pissing all over our basketball program right now.

Does anyone have any idea at all what jobs Stevens and Shake are waiting on or are they just content where they are with not much pressure and pretty good paychecks?

What about Jaime Dixon? He's a helluva coach. Is Pitt a better job than Wake?

Pitt is better. More money, resources, local talent, recent history, and great academics.

I hate to say I told you so, but this is what you nattering nabobs get for running off Dino. State went through the same thing when they ran off Herb Sendek, a great coach and honorable man.

Xavier's been a better job than Wake for awhile now. They've made four Sweet Sixteens since our last one in '04. They made it in '04 as well.

Ridiculous. Too much baggage for Mack to return, but Xavier is in the A10. Sorry, but I don't care how many S16s you go to. That's not a better job than one on Tobacco Road. More successful, yes, but not more high profile.

Pitt's a better job in relation to Wake because of great academics? Also, Wake has better local talent.

Back