• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If [Redacted] resigned, who could/would we hire?

I shudder every time people mention Steve Alford in threads like this - Iowa still hasn't recovered from the mess he left there.

I shudder every time people mention Steve Alford in threads like this - Iowa still hasn't recovered from the mess he left there.

I agree. Why can't we find a guy who has been successful elsewhere, one who hasn't been in trouble?

Do Shaka and Stevens even have "good" paychecks right now?

Dixon is coming to the ACC, so I doubt it. Plus, Pitt is a much better job right now. He's been recruiting very well there.

How about Frank Martin (looking at the rumor that he might go to South Carolina)? Dude is shady, but fuck that. Mr. Rogers is pissing all over our basketball program right now.

Yes both schools are paying them the max they can afford. Wake doesn't believe in such idiocy.

April 2011 Smart signed a 8 year contract at $1.2mm/year. April 2010 Stevens signed a 12 year contract at an estimated $900k/year.

Compare this to Gregg Marshall at $800k, Mark Few at $850k, Steve Alford at $1.1mm (with a $300k buyout fyi), and Steve Fisher at $800k.

How about Bruce Pearl? He's available....and seems to fit the profile that many of you seem to want: He's a proven "winner" who led Tennessee to a #1 ranking, 31 wins & was National Coach of the Year in 2008, has won a National Championship (at the Division II level)......and doesn't seem to be afflicted with any of those "culture" issues that would prevent us from adopting a "win now, by any means" revival of the basketball program. After all, winning is what counts, isn't it?

We sure were a lot happier when those "thugs" we had were ranked number one and beat Carolina.

People can pretend they want a "clean" program all they want, but I bet Kentucky fans aren't too upset at having that dirty Calipari. If Wake got a Pearl and started winning on the big stage, nobody here would care how he did it. Nobody.

We sure were a lot happier when those "thugs" we had were ranked number one and beat Carolina.

People can pretend they want a "clean" program all they want, but I bet Kentucky fans aren't too upset at having that dirty Calipari. If Wake got a Pearl and started winning on the big stage, nobody here would care how he did it. Nobody.

I completely agree but it won't happen with the current administration and AD.. The LOWF leaders and some "fans" would rather have the players skipping down the court in skirts as long as it meant no PR issues and a clean "image".. They would rather lose than have any sort of program that resembles unc or Kentucky. Most fans on the other hand would rather win. Thus the current situation we are in..

I forgot about Calipari's NCAA violations at Kentucky... can someone please summarize them for me?

I forgot about Calipari's NCAA violations at Kentucky... can someone please summarize them for me?

As you well know he doesn't have any "NCAA" violations but this is mainly because they're completely incompetent. It's pretty common knowledge I thought that Cousins and Wall were at Kentucky for 250k a pop.

Buckets in 1997: I forgot about cal's violations at umass.
Buckets in 2008: I forgot about cal's violations at Memphis.

Fwiw I think cal may be mostly clean at UK, but you can't trot out the "they haven't been caught" defense when a guy has had F4's vacated at 2 schools 10 years apart with the most recent one being just a few years ago at his last school before UK.

Buckets in 1997: I forgot about cal's violations at umass.
Buckets in 2008: I forgot about cal's violations at Memphis.

Fwiw I think cal may be mostly clean at UK, but you can't trot out the "they haven't been caught" defense when a guy has had F4's vacated at 2 schools 10 years apart with the most recent one being just a few years ago at his last school before UK.

Both UMass and Memphis wanted Cal to stay, and both offered him extensions and raises. Marcus Camby just got inducted into the UMass Hall of Fame. It seems like bystanders blindly attribute the violations solely to Cal, and make a large deal out of them, while the schools, fans, players, and coaches involved don't hold the same views and don't villianize Cal. What sense does it make that BKF hates Calipari worse than UMass fans do, when Cal "cheated" at UMass, and got them in trouble, while BKF has nothing to do with the situation? If Cal had stayed at Memphis they probably would have thrown him a downtown parade, yet outsiders think he put on a disguise and skipped town to avoid the NCAA.

Last edited:
and penn staters would rename PA to paternosylvania given the chance. doesn't change the fact that he enabled child molestors. fans will put up with a lot when it comes with winning. not exactly the most objective observers.

Sounds like Groce to Illinois tomorrow. Just great.

Sounds like Groce to Illinois tomorrow. Just great.

Yeah, and reading the Illinois boards they most of them really don't want Groce. His records in the MAC aren't impressive enough for them and they are upset they didn't pursue Frank Martin instead... they are hoping the Groce leak is a smokescreen for someone huge like... Billy Donovan! Everyone fan base thinks they are gonna get Billy D for some reason.

Back