• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If [Redacted] resigned, who could/would we hire?

Is that the best you can do....honestly? Pretty pathetic....and juvenile.

The truth hurts, everyone now is well aware of your sick obsession with Carl Tacy and the great lengths you go to fellate his metaphorical cock, known as his time at Wake. Furthermore we all are aware that you abandoned Wake which no true fan would do. You can justify it any way you like but instead of supporting Wake no matter what you would rather slurp slurp slurp a single man.

Carl was another coach that was hard to warm up to as a student but he did have some great teams. As a Wake fan since 1974, I would say his best teams were the most fun to watch since then because they were loaded with great guards. I had freshman psych with Rod Griffin and Charlie Floyd. Charlie had to transfer to HP. Tough break for us.

You're right Bob. Carl Tacy was the best coach Wake ever fired.

With that quote in mind, here is some advice for you:

"At times it is better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

You're an example of a problem with this board: We have a lot of people claiming to be WF fans who don't know jack-shit regarding what they are talking about.

Most people here weren't living in the 70s let alone still there.

"At times it is better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

You're an example of a problem with this board: We have a lot of people claiming to be WF fans who don't know jack-shit regarding what they are talking about.
hook, line, and sinker

TROLL.gif

I love you Bob.

Actually, there is a serious problem with one person (you) claiming to know much more than he actually does. Not even going to touch the idea of you, of all people, calling out others who are actual Wake Forest fans.

I wish bkf would just stfu about Carl Tacy forever. I actually like Gentlemen Carl and he had a couple of great runs in the NCAAs, but bkf's incessant hero worship and inability to see any flaws in a coach who had alot of teams fall apart and who finished 71-97 in the ACC during his career is very annoying. I wish he, Carl Tacy and Bob Knight could just have a menage a trois and get it over with.

Last edited:
Everyone should just stop what they're doing and imagine that right now.

Seriously, the dude said he would pull for a Bob Knight coached team over a team that his own son was playing on. What kind of sicko thinks like that?

Hate to disrupt another discussion of Carl Tacy, but I posted this yesterday on the thread about Illinois hiring Groce and thought it's applicable here as well:

It's interesting that Illinois feels entitled to hire a "more established" head coach. Goes back to my other thread -- aside from Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart, who seem to be pretty content in their current situations right now, there aren't any sure-thing mid-major coaches. Groce seems to be on that next tier below, along with perhaps Gregg Marshall (who seems to be a challenging personality). Then you have another tier of guys for whom the jury is still very much out -- Lehigh coach, Bucknell coach, etc. There just aren't a ton of hot names.

Combine that with the fact that coaches at high major programs just don't move around very much. With rare exceptions, for a guy to move from one high major to another basically appears to require one of the following situations: (1) taking job at alma mater or where you have pre-existing relationship (e.g., Bob Huggins, Roy Williams, Mike Anderson); (2) taking a job at a traditional powerhouse program (e.g., Ben Howland, Tom Crean, John Calipari, Bill Self, Mark Turgeon); (3) escaping an unhappy/tenuous relationship with AD or fanbase (Frank Martin, Frank Haith, Oliver Purnell). You occasionally get the situation where a coach leaves a job at a high major school without a basketball tradition for another job that is not a traditional powerhouse, but does have a better basketball tradition (Jeff [Redacted], Tony Bennett, John Beilein), but even those seem to be rare.

In general, high major schools who aren't UNC, UCLA, Indiana, Kentucky, or Kansas hire mid-major coaches. Billy Donovan, Tom Izzo, and Jay Wright don't leave their schools to coach at NC State, Illinois, or Wake Forest. Illinois fans ought to understand that, and we should remember that the next time Wake Forest goes hunting for a new coach.

I wish bkf would just stfu about Carl Tacy forever. I actually like Gentlemen Carl and he had a couple of great runs in the NCAAs, but bkf's incessant hero worship and inability to see any flaws in a coach who had alot of teams fall apart and who finished 71-97 in the ACC during his career is very annoying. I wish he, Carl Tacy and Bob Knight could just have a menage a trois and get it over with.

He had a few very good teams in 13 years. We get it. He also had the advantage of not dying.

Bob, are you sure that Skip never beat a higher seeded team in the tournament? I'm not so sure. Maybe you should repeat it again, so I'm convinced. I swear that I've heard you post about Skips great coaching ability before. Was that not you? You should probably reiterate your opinions, because they aren't very clear or well known.

Really? It's seems to me that it's the other way around, as far as perception on this board goes. Skip has become a much better coach since he died than he was when he was living. When he was living, he never beat a higher-seeded team in the NCAA Tournament in nine tries, and his last two teams finished 11th & 12th in the ACC.....but now, according to some posters on this board, he was going to take us to the Final Four if he had lived. For about the millionth time: Skip was a wonderful person who represented WF in the most positive way imaginable. He did great things in terms of building spirit at the Joel and bonding with the students, and his premature death was tragic beyond belief.....but he was not a particularly good coach. He could recruit good players because they liked to play his run & gun, all offense, no defense style....but that kind of team was never going to go to the Final Four. It could beat the #10s, 12s, 13s & 15s seeds in the tournament (well, most of the time...he did lose to a #10 seed there), but it was never going to beat the better teams in the tournament.

I love people who speak in absolutes "never going to beat the better teams in the tournament". I already detailed to you your boy Knight's last 13 years - 10 tournaments made, 6 first round losses, 3 second round losses and one sweet 16 where he promptly got beat. One Sweet 16 in 13 years. Lots of losses to worse seeds and no victories over better seeds. Not only that; he QUIT in the middle of his last season. Take your Skip hate and stick it up your ass.

Really? It's seems to me that it's the other way around, as far as perception on this board goes. Skip has become a much better coach since he died than he was when he was living. When he was living, he never beat a higher-seeded team in the NCAA Tournament in nine tries, and his last two teams finished 11th & 12th in the ACC.....but now, according to some posters on this board, he was going to take us to the Final Four if he had lived. For about the millionth time: Skip was a wonderful person who represented WF in the most positive way imaginable. He did great things in terms of building spirit at the Joel and bonding with the students, and his premature death was tragic beyond belief.....but he was not a particularly good coach. He could recruit good players because they liked to play his run & gun, all offense, no defense style....but that kind of team was never going to go to the Final Four. It could beat the #10s, 12s, 13s & 15s seeds in the tournament (well, most of the time...he did lose to a #10 seed there), but it was never going to beat the better teams in the tournament.

Bob, what was Carl's record in his first six years and his post season record? You know. He had one winning ACC season and that Elite Eight out of nowhere. You're becoming a bore.

Back