• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If [Redacted] resigned, who could/would we hire?

He turned down Kentucky so I just don't see him going to UNC (marginally better), Duke (marginally worse), or Louisville (marginally worse). Now maybe he just wasn't thinking real straight after winning back to back national championships, but I think he's probably going to be a Gator lifer unless his relationship with the AD takes a turn for the worst or UNC shows him crazy money ($5mm+).

I doubt he'll ever leave Florida for another college job. He has nearly the same recruiting ability of all those schools and equal facilities, without the expectations or scrutiny.

I don't see Donovon going to UNC either. I really don't know who they'd hire after Roy retires that would mesh with the establishment. We saw how Doherty's fiery personality pissed people off. Donovon doesn't come off as an aw shucks kind of guy or a supreme overlord like Dean Smith.

He had all that but still flirted with the Magic a few years back. I agree he has a great life, but its at a football school, a bigtime football school. Heck his Gators only sellout games when KY is in town. I just think he'd leave in a second if UNC called if for no other reason to prove he could do it elsewhere and get recognized more for it.

Can you even name 1 Gaytor from this years team?

FLA was a two seed last year. If you follow college bball you should know Walker, Boynton, Young and Beal.

FLA was a two seed last year. If you follow college bball you should know Walker, Boynton, Young and Beal.

Florida has always been a below the radar team. We always hear of UK, UNC, Duke, tOSU, MSU, etc, but never really much about Florida. I follow college bball and I don't know many of their players either. I didn't know many of their players in the 2006 season until they won the title and all decided to come back.

There aren't too many other coaches capable of getting the best player from a Big East team to transfer in, and become a 7th man. Mike Rosario scored 1000 points in his first two years at Rutgers, and only played 16 minutes a game this year for Florida.

Last edited:
Horford, Brewer, Noah were all lottery picks off the two NC teams.

Forget UK, UNC, Duke, etc... the real question is will Billy D take the Illinois job or will he still be available for our coaching search next year???

Its hard to follow collage bball when we so completely suck and SEC basketball is 10 times worse than that.

Anyone who actually believed two years ago that Izzo or Donovan would ever come here is a complete moron.

I don't think anyone believed that (I know I didn't), but I think with names like that floating around, we at least figured we'd get someone very good. Certainly not a mid-50s guy from a losing Pac-10 program. I wish we were all wrong when we were upset about the hire, but alas...

He had all that but still flirted with the Magic a few years back. I agree he has a great life, but its at a football school, a bigtime football school. Heck his Gators only sellout games when KY is in town. I just think he'd leave in a second if UNC called if for no other reason to prove he could do it elsewhere and get recognized more for it.

The guy turned down Kentucky. If he turned down Kentucky, he'll turn down UNC. He flirted with the Magic because it's the pro game and it's different. And, he still turned that down. He's at UF for life barring some unforeseen circumstance. Also, your knowledge of which games the Gators sell out is really off. They sell out a lot more than 1 game a year. They've actually got a pretty good homecourt advantage compared to a lot of schools.

What does he need to prove? The guy's won two titles at Florida. Who is saying he couldnt "do it elsewhere"? Makes no sense.

I don't think anyone believed that (I know I didn't), but I think with names like that floating around, we at least figured we'd get someone very good. Certainly not a mid-50s guy from a losing Pac-10 program. I wish we were all wrong when we were upset about the hire, but alas...

The funny part is where those names were coming from. Those names were being leaked at the same time that Wellman was collecting quotes from other coaches and NBA players about Bzz. The attempt to make the hire seem good started before the hire was even made. Honestly, it's the best bit of PR that our AD has done throughout the whole mess.

I think it contributed to the letdown. Wellman's AD plants may have thought it would look like Bz was chosen over the people (which he may have been) but to reasonable folks it looked like he struck out and panicked.

I think it contributed to the letdown. Wellman's AD plants may have thought it would look like Bz was chosen over the people (which he may have been) but to reasonable folks it looked like he struck out and panicked.

Yup. There was no way to sugar coat the hire. Never should have tried.

It sounds like a major Illinois trustee is throwing a shit-fit over Groce that is holding up the hire.

As long as Mitch Barnhart is at Kentucky Billy Donovan won't be the coach there. Also, there is no college job even marginally better than Kentucky.

It is obvious you are biased by your spelling of "gaytor." Get over it, they have great athletics.

Getting to the Elite 8 in Tacy's day didn't mean you had to win 3 games, just 2.

Carl Tacy's two Elite Eight teams beat a 26-1 Arkansas & a 27-2 DePaul. No WF coach since then has come anywhere remotely close to doing anything like that in the NCAA Tournament. Not even remotely, laughably close. What's the best team that Dave Odom ever beat in the NCAA Tournament? How about Skip Prosser? Dino Gaudio?

Funny. I figured you'd be bragging about Dean Smith's record on here.

Back