• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If [Redacted] resigned, who could/would we hire?

Next to Self is there anyone you'd rather have to build a program? He's had an amazing amount of success at a football school in Florida, and he is only 46 so he has 20 years ahead of him. The most proven coach not at a blue blood (I guess that's why people think their schools can get him).

I know he is a great coach, I just think its funny non-elite programs ever mention him. His contract at UF is absurd and he is not leaving for a worse or lateral program. There might be 5 jobs in the country that could get him to leave UF.

Billy D didn't leave for UK when they wanted him.

He's not going anywhere. He'll comfortably glide to an 800 win career if he stays at UF.

I know he is a great coach, I just think its funny non-elite programs ever mention him. His contract at UF is absurd and he is not leaving for a worse or lateral program. There might be 5 jobs in the country that could get him to leave UF.

Yeah, I guess people just don't see Florida as a particularly good job (which it really isn't, other than the $$$), but it has been good enough for him to reach three Final 4's so I don't know that he'd leave for anywhere. He already turned down Kentucky once.

Not to mention turning down the Magic.

If Billy Donovan had decided to come to Wake a couple of years ago, can you imagine the collective "WTF?" that would have been expressed by the rest of the college basketball world. Personally, I would have been nervous that he'd sustained some kind of brain injury or had a tumor or something.

That is a sad, sad comment. It is amazing how some people have the nerve to make a comment like that and thumb their nose at other schools' academic standards at the same time. Hypocrisy of the highest order.

Damn. Deadbolt made me agree with bobknightfan. That said, the hyposcrisy of someone putting Bobby Knight on a pedastal while talking about "standards" is pretty funny as well.

Donovan has an incredibly easy job at this point. Everybody loves him but he's not subject to the same scrutiny as Muschamp. UF blew a huge lead that would have sent them to the Final Four and people here were upset, but pretty quickly shifted to, "We did better than I expected."

You don't think that Bob Knight (not Bobby) had standards?

I think Bobby held everyone around him to standards very rigorously, while totally exempting himself from them. Hence the comment about hypocrisy.

and penn staters would rename PA to paternosylvania given the chance. doesn't change the fact that he enabled child molestors. fans will put up with a lot when it comes with winning. not exactly the most objective observers.

plus we are talking about kentucky fans. not the most intelligent people in the world.

If Billy Donovan had decided to come to Wake a couple of years ago, can you imagine the collective "WTF?" that would have been expressed by the rest of the college basketball world. Personally, I would have been nervous that he'd sustained some kind of brain injury or had a tumor or something.
I've told you this before but I won't forget your unusual last name any time soon because it is the easiest way to search my email to find the DemanDeac chat transcript meltdown after he floated Donovan and Izzo and we got Bz.

Go hire Drew. Change the culture back....make Jaybone's head explode......beat Roy because when facing similar talent he has proven to be a bozo...

Yeah, I guess people just don't see Florida as a particularly good job (which it really isn't, other than the $$$), but it has been good enough for him to reach three Final 4's so I don't know that he'd leave for anywhere. He already turned down Kentucky once.

Billy D has made UF into a much better job than it was. Its probably the 2nd best in the SEC and he just missed a 4th final four this past weekend. He's done all this but is still only 46. I have a feeling he'd leave UF in a NY heartbeat if UNC or Duke made the call. I can actually honestly seeing him waiting right now for the call to come from Chapel Hill. I mean who else in the UNC "tree" is available that is worth a crap? Donovan could step in 5 years from now at age 51 and probably get at least 3 titles before he stepped down.

Also just had a thought of whether he would take the Louisville job when Pitino retires. I have to say Louisville is probably a slightly better gig than UF but probably more pressure as football is no big deal there.

Yeah, and reading the Illinois boards they most of them really don't want Groce. His records in the MAC aren't impressive enough for them and they are upset they didn't pursue Frank Martin instead... they are hoping the Groce leak is a smokescreen for someone huge like... Billy Donovan! Everyone fan base thinks they are gonna get Billy D for some reason.

Illinois is a completely delusional fanbase on par with NCSU - the only difference being that NCSU actually won an NCAA tournament

Donovan has an incredibly easy job at this point. Everybody loves him but he's not subject to the same scrutiny as Muschamp. UF blew a huge lead that would have sent them to the Final Four and people here were upset, but pretty quickly shifted to, "We did better than I expected."

Kind of crazy to think that Florida team had the same seed as the Wake team that got Butlerized and seeded one spot lower than Dino's last team. Goes to show what great coaches do in the tournament compared to Wake coaches.

I've told you this before but I won't forget your unusual last name any time soon because it is the easiest way to search my email to find the DemanDeac chat transcript meltdown after he floated Donovan and Izzo and we got Bz.

Anyone who actually believed two years ago that Izzo or Donovan would ever come here is a complete moron.

Billy D has made UF into a much better job than it was. Its probably the 2nd best in the SEC and he just missed a 4th final four this past weekend. He's done all this but is still only 46. I have a feeling he'd leave UF in a NY heartbeat if UNC or Duke made the call. I can actually honestly seeing him waiting right now for the call to come from Chapel Hill. I mean who else in the UNC "tree" is available that is worth a crap? Donovan could step in 5 years from now at age 51 and probably get at least 3 titles before he stepped down.

Also just had a thought of whether he would take the Louisville job when Pitino retires. I have to say Louisville is probably a slightly better gig than UF but probably more pressure as football is no big deal there.

Why would Donovan ever leave for another college basketball program? He's won two national titles where he is. He's usually in the hunt for a final four. He has no problems recruiting. He has his job for life and gets paid handsomely for it. He doesnt have to deal with the nonsense at Kentucky and UNC.

He has all the perks of a big time basketball school, without any of the stress. There is no reason whatsoever for him to leave.

and penn staters would rename PA to paternosylvania given the chance. doesn't change the fact that he enabled child molestors. fans will put up with a lot when it comes with winning. not exactly the most objective observers.

Joe Pa got fired from Penn. St., just like Bruce Pearl got fired from Tennessee, and Kelvin Sampson got fired from Indiana. None of those coaches got raises, or got offered better jobs. When the NCAA doesn't want a coach to get a new job, they will enforce a "Show-Cause Penalty" on them, so that their violations will follow them to their new job. Bruce Pearl and Kelvin Sampson both got a Show-Cause Penalty, because they were both directly responsible for the violations at their institutions. When a coach isn't directly responsible, but fails to hold his staff responsible, the program is cited for "Lack of Institutional Control". Which is what USC, Ohio State, even Boise State have been charged with in the last couple of years. Ohio State and USC bring alot more revenue to the NCAA than Memphis, UMass, or UK does, yet the NCAA cited and punished both of those programs.

Why would Donovan ever leave for another college basketball program? He's won two national titles where he is. He's usually in the hunt for a final four. He has no problems recruiting. He has his job for life and gets paid handsomely for it. He doesnt have to deal with the nonsense at Kentucky and UNC.

He has all the perks of a big time basketball school, without any of the stress. There is no reason whatsoever for him to leave.

He had all that but still flirted with the Magic a few years back. I agree he has a great life, but its at a football school, a bigtime football school. Heck his Gators only sellout games when KY is in town. I just think he'd leave in a second if UNC called if for no other reason to prove he could do it elsewhere and get recognized more for it.

Can you even name 1 Gaytor from this years team?

He turned down Kentucky so I just don't see him going to UNC (marginally better), Duke (marginally worse), or Louisville (marginally worse). Now maybe he just wasn't thinking real straight after winning back to back national championships, but I think he's probably going to be a Gator lifer unless his relationship with the AD takes a turn for the worst or UNC shows him crazy money ($5mm+).

Back