• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If we had hired Shaka smart 2 years ago...

TBDeac

Reaction score
where would the program be today?

I was just interested in how much of a difference you think it would have made if we had hired him after Dino. He is obviously a great, exciting young coach. What is that worth? 5 more wins the past two years? 10? How much better do you think recruiting would be? Would attendance be up to watch a struggling, rebuilding team, or would we no longer be a rebuilding team?

I can't say how we would have done, but I would probably feel better. He is young and exciting as you said, whereas [Redacted] is old and boring. If you could choose between playing for [Redacted] or playing for Shaka, everything else being equal, who would you choose?

Two years ago Shaka Smart was unproven as a head coach. No major college would hired him then. VCU, a mid-major, took a chance and won the lottery.

OTOH, Gregg Marshall was a proven winner and program builder. Ron Wellman definitely could have hired him, but never even considered him. Ridiculous.

We likely would have been pretty unhappy if we had hired Shaka Smart in 2010. I suspect he would have proven us wrong by now. Not with a Final 4, but with exciting, well coached teams and very strong recruiting classes.

I can say with absolute confidence that if we hired Shaka Smart 2 years ago that we would currently be undefeated and they would have cancelled the NCAA Tournament and just crowned us Champions already; just so 6 poor teams didn't have to get embarrassed on national TV by us. Fact.

We would have likely been as outraged by his hire, but I think the results would have been far better than what we have seen with Bz so far. It's a pipe dream though.

Meh. I still give him a lot of the credit for Purnell's success at Clemson. I think after digging through his resume, Wake fans would have been pleased with his potential. I also think your last two classes would have been better, which would also have calmed fears.

The problem with asking "What if" is that you never get to find out the answer....

The problem with asking "What if" is that you never get to find out the answer....

Except DV7 has already provided factual evidence for the scenario. In this case asking "what if" has been answered.

I understand that it's impossible predict where we would be exactly. I just think in order to evaluate our current coach's poor performance, it might be interesting to speculate on the "best case scenario" with a coach that everyone wants. How much of a better shape would we really be in, given what we started with at that point?

My personal opinion is that 2010-11 we still would have sucked terribly and probably won a couple more games, but people would still be pissed. I'm pretty impressed with the class we have coming in next year and don't see too much of an improvement on that but others may not agree. The other question is, what would our ideal coach would have with the 2011-12 class and with the team this season?

What_if_Machine.jpg

Futurama fans should get it

We would have an energetic charasmatic young coach that would engage the fan base and have their support.

Everyone would have supported the hiring of an unknown coach who struggled out of the gate when saddled with a mediocre roster.

Two years ago Shaka Smart was unproven as a head coach. No major college would hired him then. VCU, a mid-major, took a chance and won the lottery.

OTOH, Gregg Marshall was a proven winner and program builder. Ron Wellman definitely could have hired him, but never even considered him. Ridiculous.

We hired a coach who wasn't "unproven" but proven to be unsuccessful. I think Wellman could have floated Buzz's name around and after we all got really depressed hired Smart.

Firing a coach because of lack of postseason success and hiring a coach with no history of postseason success, or success at all for that matter? Travesty!

Shaka would have had a horrible record with our team and people would be screaming why didn't we hire X. It's total BS to think he would have won in the ACC with a lack of talent and that happened.

Many of the same people who are saying, "Why did we hire such and old?" would be saying, "Why did we hire someone with such little experience?".

Shaka would have had a horrible record with our team and people would be screaming why didn't we hire X. It's total BS to think he would have won in the ACC with a lack of talent and that happened.

Many of the same people who are saying, "Why did we hire such and old?" would be saying, "Why did we hire someone with such little experience?".

I'd rather hire a young coach with little experience and have the hope that he grows into the role than an old coach with a proven track record of mediocrity at best and have zero hope that he will improve our program.

We're all just guessing but best case scenario he could have connected a little better with our guys and we wouldn't have lost some of the players we did. I would love if we had an energetic guy like Shaka who could have motivated someone apparently lazy like Ari, who had talent but wasted it. Same goes for JTT, I know it's easier to just write him off at terrible but if Shaka could have energized him and kept him off the sauce who knows what might have happened.

But honestly the majority of the people complaining now would be complaining about Shaka, because he MAYBE would have won one-five more games per season.

Back