• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If we had hired Shaka smart 2 years ago...

JTT had completely bought into [Redacted]'s system. No player had changed as much as he did during his season at Wake. He was excited about his progress and playing for the coach. Blaming [Redacted] for JTT's is gibberish and inane.

Are we thinking of the same JTT??

Even if records were the same, there would be a glimmer of hope because:

1) shaka went 27-9 and won the cbi in his first season at vcu, jeff went 111-105 with a few NIT wins before wake

2) shaka is 34 with room to grow, [Redacted] is 59 and has already peaked

3) shaka is charming and instills hope, bz is condescending and whiney

4) shaka dresses better

Yep,if you watch tapes you'd see the growth in his game from November to March. He went from a pure chucker to understanding the game better and trying to make the right play.

Yep,if you watch tapes you'd see the growth in his game from November to March. He went from a pure chucker to understanding the game better and trying to make the right play.

Then he used making two mistakes into an opportunity to leave Wake Forest and Jeff [Redacted]'s basketball program.

Even if records were the same, there would be a glimmer of hope because:

1) shaka went 27-9 and won the cbi in his first season at vcu, jeff went 111-105 with a few NIT wins before wake

2) shaka is 34 with room to grow, [Redacted] is 59 and has already peaked

3) shaka is charming and instills hope, bz is condescending and whiney

4) shaka dresses better

Let's say we go 10-21 last year. Shaka would have been skewered by most of the same Buzzouters for:

Being hired too soon
Not being ready for prime time
Being flash over substance
not having a post season record

I'm sorry the same people who have less patience than two year olds would have miraculously become an army of Job.

Then he used making two mistakes into an opportunity to leave Wake Forest and Jeff [Redacted]'s basketball program.

It's not like he deliberated over the decision either. JTT couldn't leave fast enough.

I'm sorry the same people who have less patience than two year olds would have miraculously become an army of Job.

I'm not usually an impatient fan, but [Redacted] and his demeanor made me want him out very soon. I can live with the poor record if something is trending upwards.

The FACT is that we were still getting blown out at the end of year 2 with him in charge. STEVIE WONDER THINKS IF YOU SEE OTHERWISE THEN YOU ARE BLIND AND LYING. DOUBLE STANDARD. TYPOS.

As to JTT wanting out, the reality is his DUI was around Labor Day. Had he really wanted to leave, he could announced it any time from March through August. It would have been easier and cleaner.

I fully understand this makes much too much sense for the haters but that is what happened.

Honestly, the way JTT left doesn't really make sense for either position (if he really had a problem why didn't he go to rehab? if he wanted out why didn't he leave sooner?). It's a strange situation, and I don't know what to make of it.

Arrested for DUI Sept 3
Leaves Wake Sept 5
Says he needs "months" to get better
Commits to USC Oct 19

TBR, take off your Buzzout glasses for a second. If I'm not mistaken classes had already started when he got his DUI. He was enrolled at Wake. Had he not been busted he would have been a Deac this year.

Those are indisputable facts. To make his leaving into anti-Buzz counters a myriad of JT's actual deeds to fit a hate [Redacted] in everything MO.

TBR, take off your Buzzout glasses for a second. If I'm not mistaken classes had already started when he got his DUI. He was enrolled at Wake. Had he not been busted he would have been a Deac this year.

Those are indisputable facts. To make his leaving into anti-Buzz counters a myriad of JT's actual deeds to fit a hate [Redacted] in everything MO.

Read what I am saying RJ. I am not trying to make this anti-Buzz at all. I am saying the whole situation is strange and doesn't really correspond to EITHER argument.

Let's say we go 10-21 last year. Shaka would have been skewered by most of the same Buzzouters for:

Being hired too soon
Not being ready for prime time
Being flash over substance
not having a post season record

My complaints with Bz go beyond just the record. It is the sloppy play, the lack of development, the losses to dogshit OCC opponents, the complete lack of competitiveness in the ACC, the whimper into March, the lack of hope, and the deflection of blame. We all go crazy for Shaka because we truly believe he would have brought more to the table and avoided these other pitfalls despite probably still having a rough record. I don't blame [Redacted] completely for the bad record, but I do blame him for the factors above. While I don't think many coaches could have done much with last year's Wake team, I don't see how anybody could have done worse. Bz did the worst job reasonably possible. Shaka made a Final Four with freakin VCU and no fluke NBA-studs.

BS, he was enrolled at the time. He had chosen to be a Deac. You WANT the Buzzout excuse, but it didn't exist. Had he not gotten a DUI, he would still be a Deac.

Maybe he kinda left after seeing how brutally Jamie was treated (remember JTT is from Charlotte). Maybe he didn't like how badly the so called fans treated Tony Woods. Maybe he saw the continuation of attacks against Tony Chennault and didn't want to hear, "Aw he's probably drunk again" after every missed shot.

Our so called fan base has gotten incredibly mean-spirited over the past few years. Maybe he and his family thought it was much more likely that he'd relapse after fellow students and so called fans attack him after have a bad game or two.

JTT wouldn't have been allowed to stay anyway, that wasn't his first run-in with the law.

I'm guessing the board would be split about halfway on Shaka. I think our records would still be pretty bad (especially last year), but he'd have all the other positives that have been mentioned going for him.

and maybe he left because he thought the coach is a shithead and he wanted to be anywhere but here.

Maybe Maybe Maybe....

It takes real idiots to argue that a better coach wouldn't have better results at Wake.

BS, he was enrolled at the time. He had chosen to be a Deac. You WANT the Buzzout excuse, but it didn't exist. Had he not gotten a DUI, he would still be a Deac.

Maybe he kinda left after seeing how brutally Jamie was treated (remember JTT is from Charlotte). Maybe he didn't like how badly the so called fans treated Tony Woods. Maybe he saw the continuation of attacks against Tony Chennault and didn't want to hear, "Aw he's probably drunk again" after every missed shot.

Our so called fan base has gotten incredibly mean-spirited over the past few years. Maybe he and his family thought it was much more likely that he'd relapse after fellow students and so called fans attack him after have a bad game or two.

I don't believe this for one second. It is human nature to be upset when things aren't going well and there is no hope. Any fanbase in the entire world would be acting in much the same fashion if they were placed in our position. Any.

Back