• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Inspired by Numbers - Greatest college players I ever saw

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
After he said he thought Danny Manning was white,I thought about it. This is about those I saw play.

FIRST TEAM

C- Bill Walton- He had the greatest game in college bball history versus Memphis State. I picked over Alcindor due to this, D & passing
F- Elvin Hayes - The first made for TV "Game of the Century", he won. Absolutely unstoppable
F- David Thompson - Supremely talented and elegant. His return with a bandaged head is the college version of Willis Reed.
G- Oscar Robertson -I was really young. I asked my dad "Why doesn't anyone stop him. He smiled, "Because they can't."
G- Pistol Pete Maravich- Had there been a three point shot, he would have averaged 50 ppg. The ultimate showman

SECOND TEAM

C- Lew Alcindor - He was so good they had to ban dunking to stop him.
F- Larry Bird - Too slow, couldn't jump, Bob Knight wouldn't play him. The forward version of Oscar.
F- Bill Bradley - Maybe the purest shot ever. He was a drawing card. If he was in the gym, he wan in range
G- Calvin Murphy- his game against LaSalle (52 points) was the second best college performance I ever saw- Unstoppable
G- Magic Johnson - His soph year was insane- he played a different game than anyone had ever seen.

Greatest Head- Head-to-Head Match up

LaSalle versus Florida State- Lionel Simmons versus George McCloud. - Simmons had 36 points, 10 boards, 5 assists and 4 blocks. McCloud had 36 points, 7 rebounds and 6 assists with 10 threes. The final score of the game was 101-100 LaSalle

The greatest game ever was NC State/MD in the ACC Tourney- This is the game that created March Madness.

don't know the stats offhand, but dennis scott and rodney monroe (ever heard of them numbers?) had a shootout in reynolds coliseum that was insane. I think each had at least 40, but can't recall for sure.

Lew Alcindor should absolutely be on 1st Team. He's the best college basketball player of all-time.

Interesting idea. Will have to think on this, but...

C: Duncan
PF: Weber
SF: Calbert Cheaney
2G: Redick
1G: Paul

------------

Subject to change upon further reflection.

Interesting idea. Will have to think on this, but...

C: Duncan
PF: Weber
SF: Calbert Cheaney
2G: Redick
1G: Paul

------------

Subject to change upon further reflection.

Way too many great college players to include two players that only played for 2 years.

Also, I'm assuming by Weber you meant Chris Webber.

My 1st Team would be:

Lew Alcindor
Bill Walton
David Thompson
Pete Maravich
Oscar Robertson

(Not taking positions into account)

Chris Mullen is a oft over look great college player.

My 1st Team would be:

Lew Alcindor
Bill Walton
David Thompson
Pete Maravich
Oscar Robertson

(Not taking positions into account)
Pretty much me also except I would replace Walton with Elvin Hayes
2nd team

Bill Walton
Earl Monroe
Magic Johnson
Elgin Baylor
Calvin Murphy

Edit: of players I saw in person David Thompson was the best.

Last edited:
Not sure who all would be on my team besides Duncan, but Kidd vs. Paul would be tough for PG.

Be tough to keep the following off the list: Laettner, Jordan, Bias and Worthy.

I don't remember much about seeing Sampson, but I know I did.

My list only refers to guys I saw play. Saw the Big O in his early years in the NBA but was too young to realize how good he was. Never saw Calvin Murphy play in college, only remember reading articles in SI about him. Bill Russell had to be one of the greatest ever just from the few short clips I've seen of him. I remember the Elvin Hayes vs. Alcindor game but can't tell you why Hayes was considered so great.

Best college players I've seen:

Alcindor
Walton
DT
Pistol Pete
Laettner

Duncan
Worthy
Ewing
Hakeem
Sampson

Honorable mention ACC players:

Phil Ford
Shane Battier
Jay Williams
Dennis Scott
Mark Price
Kenny Anderson
Bob Sura
Curtis Staples
Sam Perkins
Len Bias
CD
Skip Brown

The best I can recall:

David Thompson
Alcindor
Pistol Pete
Earl the Pearl
Durant

There was a guy at Western Carolina in the late '60s named Henry Logan. He was really fun to watch.

It is obviously difficult to compare because of differing levels of competition. As adverse as I am to admitting it, the Thompson teams at NC State were probably the teams I most enjoyed watching. That was especially true when they beat UCLA.

Back