• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Inspired by Numbers - Greatest college players I ever saw

I would have very different lists for in person versus on live TV.

David Thompson is the best college player I have seen. Bill Walton is a distant second. I have no memories of Alcindor.

No memories of the Lakers' Jabar?

So you remember Jabar but not Alcindor? Got it.

No, you don't "got it". Remembering Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (you should learn to spell his name correctly if you're going to refer to him in writing) as a Laker has nothing to do with whether he was one of the greatest college players of all time, when he was known as Lew Alcindor. (Please reference the thread title.)

No, you don't "got it". Remembering Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (you should learn to spell his name correctly if you're going to refer to him in writing) as a Laker has nothing to do with whether he was one of the greatest college players of all time, when he was known as Lew Alcindor. (Please reference the thread title.)

Thanks.

in person

G-Jo Jo White--Kansas
G-Randolph Childress
F-David Thompson
F-Gar Heard--Oklahoma
C-Tim Duncan

HM--Phil Ford, Frank Johnson, Rod Griffin, Tyler Hansbrough, James Worthy, Michael Jordan, Barry Parkhill, Wally Walker, Ralph Sampson, Christian Laettner, Grant Hill

PG: Hurley
2G: JJ Redick
SF: Cheaney
PF: Laetrner
C: Duncan

In person would be the same, but wouldn't be able to have Duncan. Not sure who I'd have at the 5.

In my lifetime (age 29), I'd have to go with
C Tim Duncan
PF Battier/Hansbrough
SF Carmelo
SG Iverson
PG CP3/Jason Williams

Best I saw (all on TV)
Bird
Magic
Isaiah
Bias
Akeem

HM: Ewing, Worthy, Danny Manning

Best Live
Steve Francis - the guy just had an extra gear that made everyone else look like they were standing still
Dwayne Wade
Mashburn
Camby
Duncan

HM: Spreewell/Horry/Robinson, Jason Williams, Elton Brand, Felton, Kenny Anderson, Stephon Marbury, Chris Paul, Rodney Rogers, Laettner, Grant Hill, Mark Price, John Salley, Dennis Scott, Childress, Rasheed, Stackhouse, Ferry, Rodney Monroe, Juan Dixon, Bryant Stith, Antoine Walker

Last edited:
In person:

Walton
Bill Bradley
Ken Durrett
David Thompson
Calvin Murphy

Bobby Dandridge played with Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld, Phil Chenier, Mitch Kupchak and Kevin Grevey on their last championship team. That was a great series. I ad to look it up because I knew I was missing some, but the Sonics had Jack Sikma, Paul Silas, Downtown Freddy Brown, Dennis Johnson and Gus Johnson. Interesting note: "Game 4 was held in the Seattle Kingdome because the Seattle Center Coliseum was tied up with a mobile-home show. As a result, the Bullets had to contend with a then-record playoff crowd of over 39,000 fans." I thought RJ's was pretty strong. Also agree on James Worthy. He was a quiet beast who did it all. He was the glue for both the Heels and Lakers, but could drop 30 anytime he wanted if needed it seemed. Jordan was like the third pick of that draft behind Bowie and Olajuwan was it? The Big "O" was as good as they come, but I've only seen highlights of his pro career which are pretty sick. Averaging triple doubles is unfathomable to me. Alcindor and Walton are awfully tough to choose between. I'm not going to give any grief for choosing one over the other. I did see Thompson on TV a lot as a kid and he was as good as anyone I ever saw play any meaningful number of games.

Re: Bird, I thought he transferred first semester of his freshman year because he was homesick and overwhelmed by IU. I didn't think his leaving had anything to do with playing time or Knight not knowing what kind of a player he was. I'm sure Bobby roughed him up a bit, and Bird isn't the type to put up with it. Speaking of IU, Isaiah was awfully good on that undefeated team.

I have been watching closely since 1984 and I would say the best player I have ever seen is Christian laettner. And he is my least favorite. Who had a better 4 year career than him?

This is correct. Bird wasn't at IU long enough to find out very much at all about Bob Knight on a personal basis.

ETA: Isiah didn't play on the undefeated team. The starters on the '76 team were Quinn Buckner, Bobby Wilkerson, Scott May, Kent Benson & Tom Abernathy. Thomas played on the '81 NCAA Champions team.

Damn, you are right. Isaih's team wasn't too bad, though... ;)

I have been watching closely since 1984 and I would say the best player I have ever seen is Christian laettner. And he is my least favorite. Who had a better 4 year career than him?

Laettner was awfully good in college. Danny Ferry also had a great college career and not so much in the NBA.

Ralph Sampson, for one. Sampson was ACC POY & National POY for three straight years. Laettner won each award once.

Ralph was great, but man did he disappear when the game was on the line and close. But usually they weren't that close, largely because of him. I'd still take him over Laettner because he was so dominant and completely changed games for opponents. You couldn't get much of a shot off inside, and there were little to no offensive rebounds for opponents.

Back