• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Inspired by Numbers - Greatest college players I ever saw

Yeah, they beat Dean Smith & Carolina for the title....a few hours after President Reagan was shot.

Yep, and Virginia and LSU were playing in one of the last consolation games when it happened.

Yep, and Virginia and LSU were playing in one of the last consolation games when it happened.

No. Shooting was at 2:27 PM. Consolation game was scheduled for 5:00 PM. Turned out to be the last ever.

I have been watching closely since 1984 and I would say the best player I have ever seen is Christian laettner. And he is my least favorite. Who had a better 4 year career than him?

Bill Walton, Lew Alcindor (well they stayed four years but could only play for three).

My list only refers to guys I saw play. Saw the Big O in his early years in the NBA but was too young to realize how good he was. Never saw Calvin Murphy play in college, only remember reading articles in SI about him. Bill Russell had to be one of the greatest ever just from the few short clips I've seen of him. I remember the Elvin Hayes vs. Alcindor game but can't tell you why Hayes was considered so great.

Best college players I've seen:

Alcindor
Walton
DT
Pistol Pete
Laettner

Duncan
Worthy
Ewing
Hakeem
Sampson

Honorable mention ACC players:

Phil Ford
Shane Battier
Jay Williams
Dennis Scott
Mark Price
Kenny Anderson
Bob Sura
Curtis Staples
Sam Perkins
Len Bias
CD
Skip Brown
Sam Cassel
Randolph Childress
JJ Reddick

Bob Knight wouldn't play Larry Bird? Larry Bird was a student at IU for exactly one month. Knight barely met the kid.

Lew Alcindor should absolutely be on 1st Team. He's the best college basketball player of all-time.
Aight wood in the anus, ya think??? Please please say something we all don't already know... How bout you post a PowerPoint on him...it was prolly your idea to hire [Redacted]

In order Bias, Sampson, Iverson, Ewing, Price, Olajuwon, Chill, Worthy, Duncan, JWil, Dawkins. I loved watching Big E as well

He's not really an all time college great, but I was blown away by how good Gary Payton was when I saw him in college.

He's not really an all time college great, but I was blown away by how good Gary Payton was when I saw him in college.

Ralph Sampson was the best college player I ever watched in person. He simply dominated games. But the best college player hands down was David Thompson. You can't have a top 10 list without David Thompson.

In person- David Thompson, Len Bias, Ralph Sampson , Randolph Childress, Rodney Rogers , Tim Duncan , Phil Ford, Monte Towe, Muggsy Bogues, Larry Nance, Micheal Jordon.

Bias stole the ball from his own player and scored. That was pretty crazy.

I hate to correct you but Kevin Madden was years behind Sampson. Kevin graduated from Lee in 1985. He was absolutely the best HS player I've seen in person. It was a shame he hurt his knee and never showed his talent at UNC.

I went to HS with Ralph Sampson, so I saw him many, many times. The first time was when he was in 5th grade. He towered over everyone then. He was on back-to-back State Championship teams his junior and senior years. Junior year, he was very good but a 6'8" guy from R.E. Lee High (Mike Madden - he played at UNC) was able to push him around some. By senior year, Ralph was totally dominant. At UVA he was a 3x POY. His knees gave out in the pros and he never was able to dominate the same way he had before.

I always was more worried about Worthy than Jordan during my Wake years.

I hate to correct you but Kevin Madden was years behind Sampson. Kevin graduated from Lee in 1985. He was absolutely the best HS player I've seen in person. It was a shame he hurt his knee and never showed his talent at UNC.

Yes, Kevin was 3 years behind, but I said Mike, his older brother, in my post. Mike was the same age as Ralph. Both Mike and Kevin went to UNC. Kevin was the better player.

Now that I'm thinking about it, Mike may have transferred due to lack of PT.

Last edited:
Back