• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Israel Attacked and its Response

American should enforce its leverage as an ally and chief military supporter to Israel and intervene if necessary. We play world police everywhere else, should we not prevent the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians?
Yes, I think we should try to minimize civilian casualties as much as possible.

For the very few people who might be interested, Hamas recorded a press statement in English giving their account of the operation and its motivations. There is text transcript of it on twitter as well. I’m not going to make any commentary on it but to say that compared to Israeli military statements, it’s similarly biased, disingenuous, and refuses to take responsibility for civilians murdered.

Yes, you should reiterate this.

Since you say you have no clue, you not only don’t have to but also shouldn’t assume. As for your demand of me, generally see the first sentence of your post immediately above. I guess this post here caught yourself with that need to reiterate.

The only path through this is a viable two state solution. Practically that has no chance of happening other than where the Palestinians and Israelis presently live. And that will require that one state cannot have as its stated goal the destruction of the other state. That state cannot align itself with states or organizations who call for the destruction of that other state. And that state will have to recognize the right of the other state to exist and agree to recognize and respect its borders. It also will require the other state to recognize the right of the first state to exist and to agree to recognize and respect its borders. And in doing so it cannot contain that state in a stockade that enables it to cut off basic human necessities at will or interfere in peaceful trade.

If the Saudis and Israelis had normalized relations the world may have had a non-zero chance of that happening years from now. The world feels like it is now many decades from that having a non-zero chance of happening.

So Hamas, as an elected government, committed an insanely depraved act of war against a bordering nation with a vastly superior military? That same elected government (your view, not so much mine given it has been 17 years) has an obligation to its citizens to consider the geography, demographics and political realities of their situation before making any attack, much more the one it executed a week ago. It has either failed miserably in its obligations to consider the safety of its own citizens or purposefully placed them in mortal danger. Sophistry of thought.

And that doesn’t mean it is acceptable for Israel to cut off food, water and power or give 1M civilians just 24 hours notice to move a dozen or more miles towards some added safety (absolutely absurd if it holds). And it also isn’t acceptable for Hamas to tell people to stay in place or to set up checkpoints turning them back.

I’ll leave you with this. Seems like someone experienced who thinks critically.

Enjoyed that post. Great interview too.

So what's next after the IDF destroys Gaza and rids it of Hamas?

And Egypt says “Thanks, but no thanks.” In other words, we have your backs, but really we don’t.

In regards to Egypt taking in a million Palestinian refugees or annexing Gaza, it would never happen for a multitude of reasons. Palestinians are not really recognized as a people in the Arab world, the Arab league has historically abused them, and Palestinians are not given full citizenship in any of the arab countries, even the ones born there. Sadly, the conflict between Israel and Palestine is truly only used as a cudgel against Israel Jews by Islamist countries - none of them are real allies to the Palestinian people. A main geopolitical aspect to this consideration is that wherever Palestinians have settled as immigrants they have coalesced to fight for the right to return to Palestine (Israel), and this fight has invited military disaster to their adopted home. These people truly will have no other home, which is why they remain in Gaza and the West Bank as refugees.

It seems like most of the world has a demographics problem, so in theory some smart people should be able to come up with a solution to handle the worlds refugees

It seems like most of the world has a demographics problem, so in theory some smart people should be able to come up with a solution to handle the worlds refugees
Yeah. Countries with older populations should theoretically welcome 2 million immigrants, half of whom are under 18. Unfortunately racism and xenophobia get in the way of basic numbers.

You should totally follow the world’s alleged “demographics problem” to its natural conclusion. Let us know what you discover.

"Take a moment, weigh my words carefully, listen. Perhaps for some my words will be difficult to hear. It is hard for me to speak, you see? Perhaps for some my words will be difficult to hear. After what I went through in Be'eri, you owe me this much. You owe me this."

So what's next after the IDF destroys Gaza and rids it of Hamas?
don’t want to assume ill intent here but this reads a little giddy
go Ireland go

don’t want to assume ill intent here but this reads a little giddy

I mean you would never guess the stats of the dead so far were 1,300 Israelites and 1,800 Palestinians as per this article from reading this thread. You’d think it were 200 Israelis and 5,000 Palestinians

I mean you would never guess the stats of the dead so far were 1,300 Israelites and 1,800 Palestinians as per this article from reading this thread. You’d think it were 200 Israelis and 5,000 Palestinians
1697343702593.png

and that’s just deaths, which speaks nothing to the quality of life imposed on Palestinians for decades

Back