• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's time to forgive and move on says Dan

Buzz will be back next year without a doubt. You all need to start preparing yourselves. With the way this year is going Ron will not even have to make a statement that he is behind buzz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--January 31, 2014

That cupcake OOC schedule really did wonders on the clueless portion of the fan base.

I'll agree with Dan on this one, thought I'm much more in your face in real life than I am on the internet.

I agree with him to a point, but the article is premature. Let's see who Ron hires and then we'll see where we stand.

The billboards and newspaper ads bothered me. Not because I thought they were unreasonable. They weren't. What bothered me was that Ron and Co. let things reach a point where they were necessary at all.

The quad rolling is completely different and I have no problem with it at all. That was not an expression of malice but one of hope. It wasn't about the past. It was about the future.

Maybe so but Ron will return my messages

hF2qQq6.gif

That cupcake OOC schedule really did wonders on the clueless portion of the fan base.
Guess you knew after we started out the ACC schedule at 4-3 with wins over UNC and State that we were about to tank. BS.
I'm not supporting anything here, just found this remark to be too smug and condescending to leave it alone.

I'm sorry, why does Ron Wellman deserve our forgiveness? He's a highly compensated employee of alumni interests. If he acts like an ass and fails at his job, why does he get a pass?

You're projecting again - on acting like an ass.

The best mantra here is a cliche. Forgive but don't forget. Here's why:

* Dude is trying to do his job

* He hired what seems now like a really really impressive hire just a handful of months ago for football. Yes, he probably waited a year too long but he seems to have knocked it out of the park

* Take the Bzd hire in context just for a minute. Brad Stevens is a basketball dweeb. He had a full time Nate Silver on staff. Ron met him 4 or 5 years ago and probably saw his Dad in Bzd. Bzd, it turns out, is just a dweeb who coaches basketball okay. Different than a basketball dweeb. He made a mistake hire but once made, you CANNOT fire the dude one or two years in because it puts you at a huge disadvantage in making the next hire. Because once you give a program a short leash it is hard to convince the next guy he is going to get a longer one. Dino was given a pretty short leash and look what happened with the hire. So Ron wasn't going to make that mistake again. Thus, the four years. Also, 4 years ago, Syracuse was not only NOT in the conference, they hadn't been invited. Neither had Pitt, neither had Louisville. The fact we were in the ACC had a bit less meaning in getting a coach because there were 4 conferences claiming to be the best in country.

* Now, the ACC has four future HOF coaches, the Big East is dead and really it is us and the Big Ten as the top two conferences with the Pac-12, the Big 11, and whatever they call the old Big East a rung below. Anybody even see Georgetown play this year? The ACC is locked in to who we are and makes our job more enticing than four years ago. Arguably just a bit more, but it is significant. Jay Wright might perhaps be legitimately interested in the Wake job - or maybe would have a year ago with a couple of down years under his belt. That is how much the landscape has changed in 4 years.

* For the last two years Ron has been between a rock and a hard place. Of his own making for sure. But he can't throw the coach under the bus for the reasons in the 3rd bullet above. Had no choice but to make the best of it. That's not being an ass. That's trying to salvage parts from a totaled car. In the meantime, the more immature of the fanbase went all apeshit on the hire from the get go and only got apeshittier as the losses mounted. Now, I am just as immature as the next dickehead 45 year old dude. I have really no room to talk. Ask my wife, my kid, my co-workers, my Mom, ask anybody. But there is a certain small mindedness to gloating over Ron's trying to salvage parts from his totaled car. It serves no value. Dude's our AD, will be thru this hire for sure, and we should either offer him a hand up or move out of the way and let him get up off the floor on his own. It serves us no purpose to demand our pound of flesh or some level of groveling and mia culpa from the dude as it won't help him make a superior hire.

* I saw the press conference as code wording to leverage for the hire. The base is re-established. If you don't like the idea of great students, solid citizens, good athletes mixed in with the two 5stars we hope you can bring in, then take the Central Florida or Auburn job.

I think that Buzz became a lightening rod as to everything that is issue at Wake now. Not just hoops. The administration is out of touch and in everything from admissions (which has created great anger among many long time Wake supporters) to the ridiculous bloat in the Administration area where the salaries are way out of line with comparable institutions. Wellman being the most ridiculous. They have been interested in only one constituency - corporate donors.

Grobe passed the baton to Lobo years ago while continuing to collect a check. This and general frustration of not having our concerns heard created this situation. Dan - if you are reading this... the entire lot Wellman Hatch etc need to go.

Guess you knew after we started out the ACC schedule at 4-3 with wins over UNC and State that we were about to tank. BS.
I'm not supporting anything here, just found this remark to be too smug and condescending to leave it alone.
LOL, I predicted back in August we'd win 15 games this year - 9 OOC and 6 ACC games. Many of the people who watch the team closely and know a thing about basketball knew from the get-go that this team was not very good at all.

http://www.ogboards.com/forums/show...the-wins-in-basketball?highlight=predict+wins

also, @MHRIII, if you have approximately all of the cash money and are ron's bestie, why the FUCK weren't you telling him to fire buzz. you're one of the fucking enablers, dude, so sorry if I don't give two shits about your feelings on Ron or Buzz's legacy

Like the year before when we started out 3-3 with wins over Virginia and State?

You're projecting again - on acting like an ass.

The best mantra here is a cliche. Forgive but don't forget. Here's why:

* Dude is trying to do his job

* He hired what seems now like a really really impressive hire just a handful of months ago for football. Yes, he probably waited a year too long but he seems to have knocked it out of the park

* Take the Bzd hire in context just for a minute. Brad Stevens is a basketball dweeb. He had a full time Nate Silver on staff. Ron met him 4 or 5 years ago and probably saw his Dad in Bzd. Bzd, it turns out, is just a dweeb who coaches basketball okay. Different than a basketball dweeb. He made a mistake hire but once made, you CANNOT fire the dude one or two years in because it puts you at a huge disadvantage in making the next hire. Because once you give a program a short leash it is hard to convince the next guy he is going to get a longer one. Dino was given a pretty short leash and look what happened with the hire. So Ron wasn't going to make that mistake again. Thus, the four years. Also, 4 years ago, Syracuse was not only NOT in the conference, they hadn't been invited. Neither had Pitt, neither had Louisville. The fact we were in the ACC had a bit less meaning in getting a coach because there were 4 conferences claiming to be the best in country.

* Now, the ACC has four future HOF coaches, the Big East is dead and really it is us and the Big Ten as the top two conferences with the Pac-12, the Big 11, and whatever they call the old Big East a rung below. Anybody even see Georgetown play this year? The ACC is locked in to who we are and makes our job more enticing than four years ago. Arguably just a bit more, but it is significant. Jay Wright might perhaps be legitimately interested in the Wake job - or maybe would have a year ago with a couple of down years under his belt. That is how much the landscape has changed in 4 years.

* For the last two years Ron has been between a rock and a hard place. Of his own making for sure. But he can't throw the coach under the bus for the reasons in the 3rd bullet above. Had no choice but to make the best of it. That's not being an ass. That's trying to salvage parts from a totaled car. In the meantime, the more immature of the fanbase went all apeshit on the hire from the get go and only got apeshittier as the losses mounted. Now, I am just as immature as the next dickehead 45 year old dude. I have really no room to talk. Ask my wife, my kid, my co-workers, my Mom, ask anybody. But there is a certain small mindedness to gloating over Ron's trying to salvage parts from his totaled car. It serves no value. Dude's our AD, will be thru this hire for sure, and we should either offer him a hand up or move out of the way and let him get up off the floor on his own. It serves us no purpose to demand our pound of flesh or some level of groveling and mia culpa from the dude as it won't help him make a superior hire.

* I saw the press conference as code wording to leverage for the hire. The base is re-established. If you don't like the idea of great students, solid citizens, good athletes mixed in with the two 5stars we hope you can bring in, then take the Central Florida or Auburn job.

The quad rolling is completely different and I have no problem with it at all. That was not an expression of malice but one of hope. It wasn't about the past. It was about the future.
Heard on 99.9 this morning... "the biggest win of the day was at Wake..those guys actually rolled the quad in celebration of getting rid of their coach". "people in the ACC didn't realize it was Wake vs [Redacted].....and Wake won". "I can't believe the actions of the adults over there."

Forgive? Not necessary
Move on? Absolutely. does anyone really want to talk about this anymore? Bzz has vanished like a fart in the wind. WTF is RW supposed to say, 'Hiring Bz was a mistake'. Ummmm, no.

I'm done talking about Bz. I'm excited to talk about coaching interviews, returning players...in general, the FUTURE!

Maybe you need to go back and watch the UNC game. That win was in no way impressive. I don't think UNC could have played any worse in that game (which was shown when they destroyed us by 33 in the next meeting). Paige and McDonald missed wide open 3s, UNC committed a bunch of unforced turnovers, UNC couldn't make easy putbacks on their 23 offensive rebounds. UNC outrebounded us by like 20 in that game and still lost. Yeah, that's how poorly UNC played in that game. At no point during the season did I think this team was improved.

Back