• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's time to forgive and move on says Dan

You're projecting again - on acting like an ass.

The best mantra here is a cliche. Forgive but don't forget. Here's why:

* Dude is trying to do his job

* He hired what seems now like a really really impressive hire just a handful of months ago for football. Yes, he probably waited a year too long but he seems to have knocked it out of the park

* Take the Bzd hire in context just for a minute. Brad Stevens is a basketball dweeb. He had a full time Nate Silver on staff. Ron met him 4 or 5 years ago and probably saw his Dad in Bzd. Bzd, it turns out, is just a dweeb who coaches basketball okay. Different than a basketball dweeb. He made a mistake hire but once made, you CANNOT fire the dude one or two years in because it puts you at a huge disadvantage in making the next hire. Because once you give a program a short leash it is hard to convince the next guy he is going to get a longer one. Dino was given a pretty short leash and look what happened with the hire. So Ron wasn't going to make that mistake again. Thus, the four years. Also, 4 years ago, Syracuse was not only NOT in the conference, they hadn't been invited. Neither had Pitt, neither had Louisville. The fact we were in the ACC had a bit less meaning in getting a coach because there were 4 conferences claiming to be the best in country.

* Now, the ACC has four future HOF coaches, the Big East is dead and really it is us and the Big Ten as the top two conferences with the Pac-12, the Big 11, and whatever they call the old Big East a rung below. Anybody even see Georgetown play this year? The ACC is locked in to who we are and makes our job more enticing than four years ago. Arguably just a bit more, but it is significant. Jay Wright might perhaps be legitimately interested in the Wake job - or maybe would have a year ago with a couple of down years under his belt. That is how much the landscape has changed in 4 years.

* For the last two years Ron has been between a rock and a hard place. Of his own making for sure. But he can't throw the coach under the bus for the reasons in the 3rd bullet above. Had no choice but to make the best of it. That's not being an ass. That's trying to salvage parts from a totaled car. In the meantime, the more immature of the fanbase went all apeshit on the hire from the get go and only got apeshittier as the losses mounted. Now, I am just as immature as the next dickehead 45 year old dude. I have really no room to talk. Ask my wife, my kid, my co-workers, my Mom, ask anybody. But there is a certain small mindedness to gloating over Ron's trying to salvage parts from his totaled car. It serves no value. Dude's our AD, will be thru this hire for sure, and we should either offer him a hand up or move out of the way and let him get up off the floor on his own. It serves us no purpose to demand our pound of flesh or some level of groveling and mia culpa from the dude as it won't help him make a superior hire.

* I saw the press conference as code wording to leverage for the hire. The base is re-established. If you don't like the idea of great students, solid citizens, good athletes mixed in with the two 5stars we hope you can bring in, then take the Central Florida or Auburn job.

This is one hell of a post and really sums it up. I would add that Wellman and the other powers-that-be were also probably hoping that we would see progress once we hit the ACC season. However, that Xavier game (the final OOC game) was bad. And then we hit ACC play and just weren't putting it together as much as we could have. Again, when was the last time Wellman commented on the basketball program before the press conference? He stood behind Bz - like a good AD should - until this year. Then he just let the chips fall where they may and made the decision. GT and BC were just unforgivable losses.

Buzz was the wrong hire. But Wellman is not the bumbling idiot conspiring with other blue hairs that people on this Board have made him out to be in the last few years.

Sure did hurt VT to turf a coach after 2 years. If they had waited 4 years, maybe they could have gotten Bill Self instead of Buzz Williams, amirite?

Well the Virginia Tech AD just put that myth to rest...

No. Our problem was that we had just fired a guy with a 61-31 record after 3 years. Following that up by firing the next guy after 2 would have made it impossible to find a good replacement.

Anyone can get away with it once (as VT just showed). No way you could do that with consecutive coaches.

No. Our problem was that we had just fired a guy with a 61-31 record after 3 years. Following that up by firing the next guy after 2 would have made it impossible to find a good replacement.

Anyone can get away with it once (as VT just showed). No way you could do that with consecutive coaches.

The myth persists...

Beach. I wish I'd gotten the Hatch letter as my reply would have asked where was he to protect the civility and first amendment rights of students who brought a fire buzz sign to a game. Where was the concern for civility when they were thrown out of the Joel? This by a member of the athletic department of our civil administration.

Last edited:
Beach. I wish I'd gotten the Hatch letter as my reply would have asked where was he to protect the civility and first amendment rights of students who brought a fire buzz sign to a game. Where was the concern for civility when they were thrown out of the Joel? This by a member of the athletic department of our civil administration.

You have no first amendment rights in this situation. The constitution does not work this way.

Sorry counselor but other than yelling fire in a movie theatre there are few limits on that right. Particularly when your folks ante up $60,000.

University president's job is to talk civility. University president's job is also to demand accountability and to remove incompetent employees. When incompetent employees are retained and justified complaints are met with silence, university president is in poor position to talk about civility. Do your job Hatch, instead of complaining about people protesting when you don't.

University president's job is to talk civility. University president's job is also to demand accountability and to remove incompetent employees. When incompetent employees are retained and justified complaints are met with silence, university president is in poor position to talk about civility. Do your job Hatch, instead of complaining about people protesting when you don't.

[video=vimeo;33677884]http://vimeo.com/33677884[/video]

Slow MFn clap.

Fergit%2BHell.jpg

This.

Hatch said:
Dear Wake Forest Community,

Yesterday, after the announcement that Jeff [Redacted] had resigned as Wake Forest’s head basketball coach, some members of our community took it upon themselves to roll the quad. Rolling the quad, as every Wake Forester knows, is a tradition celebrating competitive success.

Aaron Rountree III, a Wake Forest sophomore on the basketball team tweeted, “’Rolling The Quad’ should be reserved for glorifying the success of Wake Forest University, not for the disrespect of another human being.” I could not say it better.

Civility is a hallmark of our community and I am disappointed that yesterday’s misplaced passion did not accurately portray our values to the country. Dozens of people came out this afternoon to clean the quad and for that I am grateful.

Sincerely,

Nathan O. Hatch
President

wtf? any actual fans knows the rolling was a celebration of HOPE. it wasn't to spit in bzd's face.

Well the Virginia Tech AD just put that myth to rest...

how long did UNC give that one coach before hiring Roy? and Dino was an interim meaning he wasn't expected to be employed in that capacity for that long anyway.

Dino wasn't an interim. That was made clear from his hire.
Ron just mishandled him.

If Dino was really an interim, he wouldn't have gotten an extension. He should have been an interim for one year and then we could have gotten an upgrade.

Dino wasn't an interim. That was made clear from his hire.
Ron just mishandled him.

he wasn't announced at first as an interim? i do remember he got an extension, but i thought extensions were frequently formalities for recruiting purposes and didn't necessarily reflect actual situation within an AD?

No. It specifically wasn't announced as an interim.

Should have rolled the quad with used toilet paper (end of unwiped ass and all) and Hatch should've made Wellman clean it up. Fuck that guy. He is just incredulous that a fan base has expectations from the program he runs. Fuck Ron Wellman.

Back