• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Julius Peppers' UNC Transcript Posted

In my spanish lit class at Wake, we had a kid from guatemala make a C. Tough class.

I hated that class. The book I was reading, and a Spanish/American Dictionary referred to every line I read. .

Top story at 6 pm on WRAL. 2nd/3rd story on WTVD and the NBC affiliate.

As I've said before, I saw directly for myself that this goes back at least to '82, and in all likelihood, was going on for years before then. The professor involved in the class I know about(I took the class and saw the grades posted in alphabetical order) had been on UNC's campus for many years by then.

I won't name names but trust me when I say that two of the four athletes in the class are huge names in sports and two others were starters and important contributors in one of the two main sports.

Edit: Just wanted to add that the four athletes in question were literate at about the 4th grade level. One of them was a group member of mine in a presentation we had to prepare and the part he turned in was pitiful. There is no way that any of them could pass legitimate classes at the college level but each were given grades in this class higher than some of the legitimate students.

Last edited:
As I've said before, I saw directly for myself that this goes back at least to '82, and in all likelihood, was going on for years before then. The professor involved in the class I know about(I took the class and saw the grades posted in alphabetical order) had been on UNC's campus for many years by then.

I won't name names but trust me when I say that two of the four athletes in the class are huge names in sports and two others were starters and important contributors in one of the two main sports.

Edit: Just wanted to add that the four athletes in question were literate at about the 4th grade level. One of them was a group member of mine in a presentation we had to prepare and the part he turned in was pitiful. There is no way that any of them could pass legitimate classes at the college level but each were given grades higher than some of the legitimate students.

Why won't you name names?

I'm guessing: James Worthy and Lawrence Taylor were the huge names.

I doubt WSSU or any other "historically black" university offers courses like Black Experience. Most of their students probably know they are black and don't pay tuition to find out if they are right.

There are always going to be dirty professors, exploitable tutors, and naive fans at every school. There are always going to be athletes that cheat and sycophants that cheat for them. The vast majority of individuals involved in athletic academics, however, genuinely want the athletes to succeed the right way -- I am certain that this is the way it works at Wake, and it is likely the same way at most other schools.

The simple fact is that it is easier to 'hide' at a school with 19,000 undergraduates, whether you are an athlete or not.

I doubt WSSU or any other "historically black" university offers courses like Black Experience. Most of their students probably know they are black and don't pay tuition to find out if they are right.

Terrible post. That Julius Peppers is an idiot shouldn't take away from the courses offered in the Af-Am studies department at UNC, which is highly respected.

I took a class on Black Culture in America at Maryland. It was one of the more difficult classes I took. Granted the teacher would make us read 100+ pages then give us 5-question quizzes testing us on the most minute details that it was basically impossible, but it was like any other history class and there was plenty of stuff to learn.

Consider me shocked that some rich southern whiteys are displaying their ignorance in this thread.

Terrible post. That Julius Peppers is an idiot shouldn't take away from the courses offered in the Af-Am studies department at UNC, which is highly respected.

It WAS highly respected until the department chairman was found to be running fraudulent classes that didn't meet, didn't have syllabi, etc., etc. apparently aimed at keeping athletes eligible.

Let's also keep in mind that sometimes the athletes are done a disservice by their academic advisers. I occasionally have athletes in my classes. Last Spring, I had 5 or 6 in a 3 hour Monday night course. One was a men's basketball player. The advisor for the men's basketball player was sending me regular e-mails near the end of the semester as the kid was really cutting it close.

At the end of the semester, he barely passed the course. The advisor thanked me for keeping him in the loop and working with the kid. I tallied it up and the kid had 4 excused absences out of 14 class meetings. I responded to the advisor with the following:

"I will take this opportunity to recommend that athletes not register for courses that you all know they won't be able to attend a large majority of classes. There are only 14 meetings for this course and he was scheduled to miss 4. You're not doing him any favors with that schedule. You can't expect a student to get over 70% for a grade in a class they're going to be able to attend at most 71% of the time. There's not a lot of room for error."

Reactions: ITK
You can pretty much take any area of academic interest and turn it into a challenging, demanding series of courses through the quantity and quality of reading, writing, and research requirements. You can probably take most areas of interest and create a joke of a department too by, oh, not holding real classes.

Let's also keep in mind that sometimes the athletes are done a disservice by their academic advisers. I occasionally have athletes in my classes. Last Spring, I had 5 or 6 in a 3 hour Monday night course. One was a men's basketball player. The advisor for the men's basketball player was sending me regular e-mails near the end of the semester as the kid was really cutting it close.

At the end of the semester, he barely passed the course. The advisor thanked me for keeping him in the loop and working with the kid. I tallied it up and the kid had 4 excused absences out of 14 class meetings. I responded to the advisor with the following:

"I will take this opportunity to recommend that athletes not register for courses that you all know they won't be able to attend a large majority of classes. There are only 14 meetings for this course and he was scheduled to miss 4. You're not doing him any favors with that schedule. You can't expect a student to get over 70% for a grade in a class they're going to be able to attend at most 71% of the time. There's not a lot of room for error."

To be fair, basketball players are gonna miss a good amount of classes regardless in the spring semester. For a Wednesday away game they'll leave at like Tuesday at noon to get in an evening practice at the away site.

It WAS highly respected until the department chairman was found to be running fraudulent classes that didn't meet, didn't have syllabi, etc., etc. apparently aimed at keeping athletes eligible.

Ok I haven't read the whole thread, just now read the WRAL story, and caught up a bit. I will say that this is a really bad scar on the face of a proud department. Some of their profs are highly renowned, and this will surely damage their reputation by proxy. I have friends that are alumni of this department of different races, some of whom are working for nonprofits, some for government agencies, some in the private sector, but all highly respected students who got a good education. If the allegations against the department head are true, and some classes weren't being run for the sake of football players' academic status, of course it's utterly despicable.

But let's not pretend as though black history doesn't belong in an academic/university curriculum at all. Denigrating its usefulness/place is shameless.

To be fair, basketball players are gonna miss a good amount of classes regardless in the spring semester. For a Wednesday away game they'll leave at like Tuesday at noon to get in an evening practice at the away site.

Of course. That's part of the fallacy of the "student-athlete". Missing 4 classes out of 14 class meetings on Monday nights of all times is absurd.

For the most part the discussion on this thread has centered around the UNC specific scandal, and not on the curriculum itself. I will say it is hard for me to personally imagine a scandal where 54 courses were essentially not taught over a 4 year span in the disciplines Wake offers.

Say what you will about the department at UNC, but nobody here actually thinks African-American studies is not a legitimate college field, right? Because that's kinda what it sounds like some of you are saying.

Ok I haven't read the whole thread, just now read the WRAL story, and caught up a bit. I will say that this is a really bad scar on the face of a proud department. Some of their profs are highly renowned, and this will surely damage their reputation by proxy. I have friends that are alumni of this department of different races, some of whom are working for nonprofits, some for government agencies, some in the private sector, but all highly respected students who got a good education. If the allegations against the department head are true, and some classes weren't being run for the sake of football players' academic status, of course it's utterly despicable.

But let's not pretend as though black history doesn't belong in an academic/university curriculum at all. Denigrating its usefulness/place is shameless.

You really are out of touch, my friend. The department chairman was forced to resign months ago. UNC withheld $12,000 from his final paycheck because he had been paid to teach a summer school course (lecture format) that never met a single time. Numerous grades were changed without the professors' approval. The SBI has been called in to investigate. Where do you get your news?

Say what you will about the department at UNC, but nobody here actually thinks African-American studies is not a legitimate college field, right? Because that's kinda what it sounds like some of you are saying.

That's what they're saying. Don't be surprised.

Back