• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Julius Peppers' UNC Transcript Posted

You really are out of touch, my friend. The department chairman was forced to resign months ago. UNC withheld $12,000 from his final paycheck because he had been paid to teach a summer school course (lecture format) that never met a single time. Numerous grades were changed without the professors' approval. The SBI has been called in to investigate. Where do you get your news?

I must admit I haven't followed this story for one second before this thread. I am only using my anecdotal evidence of alumni of the department. Apologies if it sounded like I was at all coming to the defense of the current scandal, for which I can promise you I am not. I have no love for UNC whatsoever, only for my friends who will now surely feel ashamed of their undergrad department's scandal.

I was simply standing up for the discipline against Simos' post and the stupid "lol at af-am degrees" tag, and when I said the department was respected, it was because it once was.

That's what they're saying. Don't be surprised.

It could have just as easily been the UNC Portuguese department. I can't speak for anyone else, but I've said nothing criticizing the presence of an Af-Am studies department at UNC or anywhere else.

Once again I just want to say my earlier post was not at all denigrating the general field as I realize the tone suggested. I didn't include "UNC's program" as a modifier because I thought it was clear I meant that at the current point in the time the UNC AFAM major is in shambles as far as reputation and even the legitimacy of degrees for people who are not athletes. This isn't to say they didn't learn a lot of valuable information in their time actually spent in AFAM classes, but it certainly does a great disservice to actual students in this field who were attempting to major in something they were interested/passionate about while the staff was using a large portion of the courses/majors to keep athletes eligible.

I brought up the "Black Experiences" class in particular because it was one which appeared on Peppers' transcript. I apologize for offending anyone, I didn't do so intentionally.

I always assumed AF-Am programs at D1 schools were jokes for athletes.

The second I walked into my freshman english class and saw Desmond Clark and 10 other football players, I knew I picked the right section.

And was a pretty sharp dude btw.

As sort of a flip story to this, I know Kurt Shaw, prof in the Russian/East European/whatever we call that department got a lot of shit after he failed a bunch of Wake football players the summer I took him. Some of the athletes were garbage, some were fantastic. Abbate might have been the better linebacker, but Arnoux made him look straight up silly when talking about books.

After reading this entire thread I think two things are probably true.

1) Wake Forest is not the pristine academic challenge for athletes some of our fans would have us believe, but we're not the den of cheaters like MANY big state schools are. That is a product of our design and structure. Nothing more. The quality of our academic morality is probably no better on the whole than the avg school.

2) We do however have a disporportionately high percentage of naive fans about college sports in general and how things work in particular. And personally I think we compare rather unfavorably with other fanbases because we don't have a clue about what makes us good where we are good, and what makes us bad where we are bad.

Most people know what goes on in college sports on here from what I can garner, they just (IMO correctly) assume that Wake Forest doesn't have a 15+ year scheme to keep their athletes eligible to play sports.

UNC fans are once again delusional in their university's role in the problem. Most on their message boards are blaming the national media, Penn State fans, and of course PackPride for their issues.

Once again most refuse to admit that their own university is guilty as charged on most things.

The NCAA is going to have to come back and investigate IMO. Even if nothing else turns up I don't see how they wouldn't at least return to Chapel Hill, that's all I could really ask for at this point. Hell even Julius Peppers would be able to look at the timeline of the classes he took in 1998-2001 in AFAM with clearly inflated grades and link that to the AFAM scandal that was noted in the UNC internal probe over the past few years. This coupled with a refusal by UNC to investigate this as it was pointed out to them previously, and added on that Thorp is the definition of incompetent, the NCAA will most certainly be back sometime soon.

This is probably the worst uncovered academic scandal in NCAA football history even if nothing else is found out about it.

I did enjoy a post on InsideCarolina which said "private schools Duke and Wake are probably laughing their asses off right now," yep sure are.

A0M80lsCYAIqVNe.jpg

I'm always amused when people are amazed that speakers of particular languages don't do well in classes teaching that language. How many Americans fail high school English every year? Speaking a language and understanding its grammatical nuances are two separate things.

I'm always amused when people are amazed that speakers of particular languages don't do well in classes teaching that language. How many Americans fail high school English every year? Speaking a language and understanding its grammatical nuances are two separate things.

IIRC Rafael Vidarretta had issues with his Spanish class when I was a Wake. I always heard it was because the prof was teaching it with a Mexican dialect of Spanish that was much different from what he was used to.

After reading this entire thread I think two things are probably true.

1) Wake Forest is not the pristine academic challenge for athletes some of our fans would have us believe, but we're not the den of cheaters like MANY big state schools are. That is a product of our design and structure. Nothing more. The quality of our academic morality is probably no better on the whole than the avg school.

2) We do however have a disporportionately high percentage of naive fans about college sports in general and how things work in particular. And personally I think we compare rather unfavorably with other fanbases because we don't have a clue about what makes us good where we are good, and what makes us bad where we are bad.

As someone who's spent the last 6 years at Wake as both a student and staff member, I disagree with you on all of this.

I think you missed the "lit" part of my post, as in Spanish literature. The whole class was reading famous works by Spanish authors and discussing / interpreting their meaning. Clearly someone that Spanish is their native language would have a significant advantage over a comparable student who only spoke the language on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10 to 11 am.

From my experience (almost 30 years ago), athletes had the following advantages:

- Athletes were the first to register for classes (huge advantage).
- The academic advisors in the athletic department knew which classes and which majors were challenging and those that were less challenging and advised players accordingly.
- Structured study hall and tutors were either required or readily available to assist players, but I never saw any of tutors actually doing the work for the athletes. Believe me, if that were happening, every player would have known about it.
- Coaches and advisors regularly checked up on the player’s attendance and progress in the class and any issue were dealt with during the semester (while there was time to correct it) rather than after the semester was over.

With that being said, being a student-athlete was not easy. Being a football player or basketball player was the equivalent of going to school and working a full-time job. I stopped playing my second year and going to school was much easier afterwards, despite not having the assistance above, due to the additional time available that was previously dedicated to football.

I've often wondered why athletics isn't a major to begin with. Teach things like training, nutrition, coaching, sports business, etc. It would be better than passing athletes through shell courses to keep them eligible, and it might be something they can actually take interest in and pass.

I've often wondered why athletics isn't a major to begin with. Teach things like training, nutrition, coaching, sports business, etc. It would be better than passing athletes through shell courses to keep them eligible, and it might be something they can actually take interest in and pass.

Academia probably wouldn't approve. They'd see it as not rigorous enough.

Back