• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keys to Victory: APP STATE

In the past 10 years we have only averaged a 20+ average on kick returns against FSU once, while we have been held below a 15 yard average 4 times.

Bleacher Report prediction is Wake 27 Utah State 23

Key matchup is US QB Kent Myers vs a 'stout defense' at Wake
Also commented how well Wolford's been playing
Hope we win by a lot more than 4 points

I'm concerned about their quickness, multiple formations and misdirection. If our defense can shut down their rapid fire offense, we will get more possessions than usual which hopefully we can turn into more points.

I hope that Clawson will turn the offense loose. While I understand the ball control, run the clock, philosophy it does not make for fun football. Apparently we have more weapons on offense, let's fire them!

At the same time, it's better to be boring and win than exciting and lose.

I'm concerned about their quickness, multiple formations and misdirection. If our defense can shut down their rapid fire offense, we will get more possessions than usual which hopefully we can turn into more points.

I hope that Clawson will turn the offense loose. While I understand the ball control, run the clock, philosophy it does not make for fun football. Apparently we have more weapons on offense, let's fire them!

Yep, we had a lot of that with Groh and Caldwell.

Since Wake is No. 1 in the nation in net turnovers, the formula for success is easy: Continue to improve on that no.1 ranking and we win.

The End is Not The Trophy: The Sequel
By George David "Dave" Odom

Final Score

Wake Forest 30, Utah State 17

Line

Wake Forest -13.5 o/u: 48.5

Way to go out on a limb, guys.

Football Study Hall has Wake -8.5.

If I bet Wake games then I think I would take Utah State and the points.

They're making the Utah State QB out to be better than he probably is. Need to get in his grill early and often.

They're making the Utah State QB out to be better than he probably is. Need to get in his grill early and often.

Yeah. Wisconsin ate his lunch after the 1st Q. Wolford and Hinton vs. Presby is similar to what the USU QB did against Idaho State.

We actually cover very well so far this year. I think it's a strategy that we are kicking between the goal and five-yard line and it's worked well thus far.

We are allowing 21.38 yards per return on kickoffs this year. That places us short of the 25 yard line thus far.

That assumes that they are catching the kickoff at the goal line. If they are catching at the 5, that would put them past the 25 on average.

related question: if the kickoff is caught 5 yards deep in the endzone and returned, is that 5 yards added to the return yardage?

I think in the NFL it does, but in college it doesn't. Don't quote me on that because I think that's based on INT returns.

Yeah. Wisconsin ate his lunch after the 1st Q. Wolford and Hinton vs. Presby is similar to what the USU QB did against Idaho State.

Anthony Brown was 26-42 for 191 yards and 2 TDs on the road at a mid level MAC team.

CreamyG, After seeing the N&O rankings and commentary, our O lineman have to know that the N&O staff is not particularly impressed with our push up front. And they do not think WF will beat many opponents perceived to be as good as WF.
Our OL can take this Saturday's opportunity and turn it into a statememt game. I'm betting they do so both in terms of pass protection and run blocking. No disrespect to the Aggies but our OL must be itching for a chance to really deliver.

That assumes that they are catching the kickoff at the goal line. If they are catching at the 5, that would put them past the 25 on average.

related question: if the kickoff is caught 5 yards deep in the endzone and returned, is that 5 yards added to the return yardage?

I was under the impression that no matter where you caught the ball in the end zone then it just took it from "0", so if you got to the 17 then you got 17 yards, even if you caught it 5 yards deep.

We only stopped them behind the 25 3 times out of 7 kickoffs and those were on the 22 and 23. We allowed one big return.

Our back and forth caused me to go look up some stats and write an article on this.

https://www.bloggersodear.com/2017/...e-weaver-boston-college-dave-clawson#comments

TL;DR - Last year we did a very good job of limiting kickoff returns from getting past the 25 yard line (82.5%, 23rd in the country). This appears to be a good benchmark for kickoffs/returns. So far this year we are at your mentioned 3/7 (42.9%) against FBS competition, but it's a pretty small sample size obviously. On the year our kickoff coverage team is 9/12 (75%) on kicks that have been returned (we have one touchback and one out-of-bounds).

Based on the touchback numbers from the past two years (45% and 50%), something is either up with Weaver's leg power, or we are intentionally kicking it in the field of play since only 1/14 (7.1%) have gone for a touchback from Weaver so far this year.

It's definitely something worth keeping an eye on as we play tougher competition if it turns out that it is actually a strategy we are going to attempt to pursue.

Last edited:
CreamyG, After seeing the N&O rankings and commentary, our O lineman have to know that the N&O staff is not particularly impressed with our push up front. And they do not think WF will beat many opponents perceived to be as good as WF.
Our OL can take this Saturday's opportunity and turn it into a statememt game. I'm betting they do so both in terms of pass protection and run blocking. No disrespect to the Aggies but our OL must be itching for a chance to really deliver.

IMO, the O-line played pretty decent at BC.

Back