• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keys to Victory: APP STATE

Just throw it deep to Dortch over the middle.

Check out the replay of Byrds touchdown. Just the first 5 seconds or so. No OL is two yards down the field. Uncovered linemen are staying on the LOS to catch a DL. I can't make sense of this technique. I can tell that Wolf called the snap when the DL were not yet set, but still, Pile drive the fuckers.(I did see a USU helmet rolling down the field, that's pretty good).

Sigh. I feel like we have had this discussion several times before. The lineman block this way because it is a zone blocking scheme that is an integral part of a run pass option. The lineman do not go down field or drive block because the quarterback has the option of pulling the ball and throwing it down field. If the linemen were than 2 yards down the field, as you are advocating, then it would be a penalty.

With our personnel, a drive blocking scheme may net us one more yard per carry, but the availability of the option to throw is a larger positive in this scheme.

You will also notice, on many of our designed run plays, the lineman do push further down field, especially when they are pulling. For an example of this, look at Wofford's touchdown run against BC.

And it is odd to complain about a blocking scheme on a play where the running back rips off a long touchdown run.

You may not like or prefer the style of blocking, but it is absolutely by design, and not a lack of technique. Since most of our play makers are on the edge, I am fine with this scheme.

I will also add that against more aggressive and athletic defenses that we will see, this zone blocking scheme will take advantage of over aggressiveness, letting the ends over pursue the play and leaving space up underneath.

Well in fairness to his post it was homecoming and there's always a bunch of people there to socialize and I'm convinced have no idea a football game is going on. I had a big group of lady alumni beside me and I honestly believe if I'd told them they were at a football game they would've been shocked.

Second half there might have been 5k people on the east side. Granted, it was pretty toasty in the sun.

Second half there might have been 5k people on the east side. Granted, it was pretty toasty in the sun.

Yeah, I think the heat probably turned out to be an advantage for us in the game too. Utah State isn't used to playing in that heat humidity.

The homecoming crowd is always interesting, like I said lots of people there in the "crowd" who could care less about the football game. Add to that we were rolling, a lot of people got out of there early. To each his own, but I enjoy staying to the end when we're blowing somebody out. Doesn't happen that often, why not sit back and enjoy it, plus I like seeing the reserves get to play. I don't know if we got as far down the depth chart as we did against Presby, but the reserves played seemed to play a lot better Saturday than they did late against Presby, save the couple busted coverages.

A gem:

Post by YOSEFRULES » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:09 pm

I went to the Wake game Saturday and their fans and the stadium atmosphere are pathetic, definitely a wine and cheese crowd. I was however very impressed with how well they played on both sides of the ball but a lot of that could have been Utah State. What scares me is their hurry up offense and there where several times they lined up with 5 wide receivers. Who's going to cover all those receivers and we always seem to struggle against a hurry up offense. We are going to have to get some quick pressure on their quarterback.

What part of that post is incorrect?

I am sure those of you whom come home from the game Saturday covered in beverages and wearing someone's puke will love the atmosphere in Boone.

Yeah I'm not making any excuses for the fan base, but it was hot as hell in the second half on the visiting side.

Including about 12 people in the student section for the second half, to watch the most exciting Wake football team in at least 5 years. I get that Wake is a small school, but I went to a D2 school for undergrad, and student attendance at football games was better than this.

There's no way around it, Wake doesn't have a college football atmosphere.

For those saying it was "hot" on Saturday, come on. Flip on any game with a 2-0 or 3-0 team in the South, the stands are packed for the SEC games and even most of the ACC games. Wake has families, old people, and students who generally don't show up unless its a night game.

There's no way around it, Wake doesn't have a college football atmosphere.

For those saying it was "hot" on Saturday, come on. Flip on any game with a 2-0 or 3-0 team in the South, the stands are packed for the SEC games and even most of the ACC games. Wake has families, old people, and students who generally don't show up unless its a night game.

We can have that atmosphere, it just takes a lot. The 2006 night game vs. BC was as good as any atmosphere you'll find in college football in a stadium near our size. Also, games like Thursday night vs. FSU in 07 and Thursday night vs. Clemson in 08 (there was plenty of orange, but near as much as normal). It takes winning and except for the run 06 to 08 we've never been able to do it consistently enough to have that atmosphere.

College attendance at football games is down across the country and has been on that trajectory for five years. Multiple reasons. Crappalachian is currently on a wave of excitement as they think they can run with the Big Dogs. They will settle in as an average to shitty program and attendance will start dropping. It would suck to lose to them.

I am sure those of you whom come home from the game Saturday covered in beverages and wearing someone's puke will love the atmosphere in Boone.

Been to a handful of games over the years in Boone and honestly can't say I've seen anything approaching t, but I've also never been there in "enemy colors" as I will on Saturday.
It will be interesting to see what sort of crowd (size and attitude) they bring to BB&T. If we're not careful with ticket distribution half the stadium will be APP supporters; at least the black will blend well on t.v.

College attendance at football games is down across the country and has been on that trajectory for five years. Multiple reasons. Crappalachian is currently on a wave of excitement as they think they can run with the Big Dogs. They will settle in as an average to shitty program and attendance will start dropping. It would suck to lose to them.

30 plus years of driving from Greenville, NC, ended two years ago. Some burn out, but Wellman and his attitude was the final straw. The $5k plus to the AD isn't missed. Vallos called again, but I said no thanks.

30 plus years of driving from Greenville, NC, ended two years ago. Some burn out, but Wellman and his attitude was the final straw. The $5k plus to the AD isn't missed. Vallos called again, but I said no thanks.

It's your money, but pretty interesting time to not donate. What would it take for you to donate again? A new AD?

Almost every sport Wake fields is successful right now, and a big part of that is the increase of donations that allowed for expansions of existing facilities, or just new buildings altogether.

Obviously his handling of the [Redacted] situation was atrocious, but Wake is clearly on the right track in my opinion.

It'll be interesting to see if App get's either of their top 2 WRs back for this game, they haven't played a snap all season. Little info coming out of the App camp as well, all that's been said is hamstring.

App has been packing Kidd Brewer for over a decade. That's a pretty big wave.

Back