• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's Golf

Is it me or does everyone think we had a very disappointing end to the season? My expectations for Wake Forest golf is making the regionals every year...advancing 8 out of 10 years and making the matchplay portion 5 out of those 8 years. We have the best combination of a practice/learning facility and golf course of any school in the nation (Jerry, Dianne and Kevin have all said this). Our golf course is closer to campus than most schools who have an on campus course. Its also rated the one of the top classic courses in the country.
My expectations for Wake golf are very close to what Duke fans expect of their basketball team.

Do we have any studs coming in next year?

Is it me or does everyone think we had a very disappointing end to the season? My expectations for Wake Forest golf is making the regionals every year...advancing 8 out of 10 years and making the matchplay portion 5 out of those 8 years. We have the best combination of a practice/learning facility and golf course of any school in the nation (Jerry, Dianne and Kevin have all said this). Our golf course is closer to campus than most schools who have an on campus course. Its also rated the one of the top classic courses in the country.
My expectations for Wake golf are very close to what Duke fans expect of their basketball team.

At this point we have to wait until next year, which I understand looks promising. And, yes, we have been disappointing for a while.

Given the nature of college golf, and golf in general, the expectation to make the final 8 match play portion every other year is really far off base IMO. And that's for any school, no matter the resources.

Last edited:
I think the team this year was probably a year away from truly being an elite team. Lot of talent, but you were relying on 4 underclassmen (2 frosh/2 sophs) for 80% of your production. No one playing last week had ever been to the NCAA Finals before. Davis really became a nice player over 4 years, so hopefully we can plug someone (looking at you Clancy) into his spot and provide a really good top to bottom solid 5. Who knows which of the other players could step up with another year under their belt. I dont think the incoming freshman are on the level of being "studs" but you never know in golf. With Zalatoris/Young/Sterbinsky, there was not a lot of potential playing time and certainly not much scholarship money left to go around.

We really just need Young to find his form again. Besides Zalatoris he is our guy that can go deep under par sometimes and we really need that. His form the latter half of the season was the biggest disappointment to me. He just has so much potential.

We really just need Young to find his form again. Besides Zalatoris he is our guy that can go deep under par sometimes and we really need that. His form the latter half of the season was the biggest disappointment to me. He just has so much potential.

Agreed. I remember talking to a pro I know at a club in the Met area who is good friends with Young's dad when he was a soph or junior in high school. He told me this kid is a tour player. And this guy isn't exactly effusive with his praise of young golfers. That's why I wasn't surprised at all with Young's play during the fall, but the spring was a complete shock. But, then again, he's a kid and it's golf. He'll be back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of all the criticism opportunities of Haas, this year seems odd. Finished second in ACC, made it out of the regionals, and had a shot at making top 15 and maybe top 8 after a couple days. All-in-all it was a pretty successful season. Disappointed that the season is over and we didn't make top 15 for a shot at match play, but golf is about being hot at the right time and we had two guys who just couldn't piece it together at all. I mean if it turns out Haas was adamant about them going to play four ball my opinion could change but I thought this was a pretty successful year.

I still insist our guys playing a US-fucking-GA event is the best possible prep for a high pressure tournament.

And any coach that prevented his players from playing a usga event they qualified for, or a PGA Tour event, wouldn't land many recruits after that.

I still insist our guys playing a US-fucking-GA event is the best possible prep for a high pressure tournament.

And any coach that prevented his players from playing a usga event they qualified for, or a PGA Tour event, wouldn't land many recruits after that.

I definitely think it's a boost, but so is making match play of the NCAA Finals. Which do you think is a better boost for recruiting and Wake as a whole? Serious question, I don't know the answer.

This by far. Listen to some of the interviews from the individuals and leading players for the best teams... "I'm turning pro the day after the NCAA championships" is usually accompanied with their reaching the match play multiple times in the US Am or playing in a bunch of PGA tour events. Big tournament experience is a huge part of becoming a clutch player in the NCAA's.

I definitely think it's a boost, but so is making match play of the NCAA Finals. Which do you think is a better boost for recruiting and Wake as a whole? Serious question, I don't know the answer.

I think having a coach who prevented players from competing at the highest levels of amateur golf would be disastrous for recruiting elite level talent that we need to win. Golf is still an individual sport, and is driven by individual accolades. The elite level players have their eye on things like USGA events, the Walker Cup, and pro golf. Team golf in college is just a rest stop (a very compelling and interesting one to this golf fan) during the pursuit of individual glory. Failure to allow your players to follow those goals would leave you unable to recruit at a level where winning the NCAAs would even be a possibility.

Out of curiosity, did a lot of other players on teams participating in the NCAAs play in the four ball tourney? Honest question - and I am too lazy/busy to look it up myself.

Edit, all right I looked. Per this, our guys were the ONLY participants in this and the NCAAs. There were a handful of kids from colleges that did not qualify for the NCAAs. And one coach (Mickelson/ASU) of a team in the NCAAs.

http://www.usga.org/championships/2016/u-s--amateur-four-ball/articles/four-ball-storylines--an-inside-look-at-the-field.html

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, did a lot of other players on teams participating in the NCAAs play in the four ball tourney? Honest question - and I am too lazy/busy to look it up myself.

SMU did because they made it and were 1 win away from playing against their coach... Not that they had an option to rest for the NCAAs....

Per this, our guys were the ONLY participants in this and the NCAAs.

It's not like they qualified and then didn't play because of the travel though. The qualifier near me had 40 teams - you'd have to check the full roster of every qualifier in the country to get an idea for how many college amateurs tried to make it. I think the qualifier totals for the 2 years is around 25% college players. You really have to light it up to qualify - the fields are packed with talent - so having a qualifier that fits your schedule, winning it, and having your team make the NCAA's is pretty rare.

Watching the semis now. Oregon thru to the final. You have to wonder how much of that is a function of playing on their home track. I'd say a fair amount.

They were ranked 6th coming in. So not really. Good for Casey Martin.

Beau Hossler's shoulder injury/finish was one of the strangest, gutsiest things I've seen on a golf course. Bizarre.

We don't even "have" a course, do we?

They were ranked 6th coming in. So not really. Good for Casey Martin.

Beau Hossler's shoulder injury/finish was one of the strangest, gutsiest things I've seen on a golf course. Bizarre.

Winning his last 2 holes with the injury was pretty crazy. Loved the up and down from the trap, using only his putter.

Old Town Club, while private, is and always will be the home of Wake Forest Golf.

Do you think Old Town is a good course for developing our players? I know the recent renovations made it harder off the tee, which has to help us somewhat. Curious if there is any thought either way about how the course helps shape our team.

Back