• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's Golf

Think that is a shitty rule that they couldn't replace him today for an injury suffered yesterday.

2-2 with final match on 19th hole right now.

Oops our #4 player has the yips....

Av9bfl.gif

Bigger hero to Texans: Chris Kyle or this golfer dude ?

Question. I watched the NCAA men's final Mon-Wed. Why is that Texas didn't get to plug in another player for Hossler yesterday, after he got hurt in Tuesday's match? It just seems kind of strange to me that you can't plug another player into the next day's match if one of your player's gets hurt and can't go, you'd think Texas could've played their number 6 guy yesterday in Hossler's place?

Question. I watched the NCAA men's final Mon-Wed. Why is that Texas didn't get to plug in another player for Hossler yesterday, after he got hurt in Tuesday's match? It just seems kind of strange to me that you can't plug another player into the next day's match if one of your player's gets hurt and can't go, you'd think Texas could've played their number 6 guy yesterday in Hossler's place?

Because you can't sub... If someone has a shitty day and can't find his swing for the stroke play, you can't sub him out for the match play. You bring 5 and play 5.

Because you can't sub... If someone has a shitty day and can't find his swing for the stroke play, you can't sub him out for the match play. You bring 5 and play 5.

That is the rule. I find it interesting, though. Of all games, golf is the one most constructed upon sportsmanship and honesty.

That is the rule. I find it interesting, though. Of all games, golf is the one most constructed upon sportsmanship and honesty.

True, but you know when you get on the range there are just some days you don't have it. While sportsmanship is all well and good, it's still a team competition and you don't want to let your team down.

If that means faking an injury when you have the yips, then so be it.

True, but you know when you get on the range there are just some days you don't have it. While sportsmanship is all well and good, it's still a team competition and you don't want to let your team down.

If that means faking an injury when you have the yips, then so be it.

Well, sure. Of course you could fake an injury. What I am saying is that the expectation that people WOULD fake an injury is very, very foreign to the game. It's taking the "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying" mentality of other sports and imposing it on golf.

Well, sure. Of course you could fake an injury. What I am saying is that the expectation that people WOULD fake an injury is very, very foreign to the game. It's taking the "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying" mentality of other sports and imposing it on golf.

Yeah, but we're dealing with Millennials now. All bets are off.

Yeah this isn't college tennis.

That's fine, but if you've got a guy with a legitimate injury, confirmed by a doctor then I think it's kind of dumb that you can't replace him in the next match. I looked at our golf roster, we've got 11 guys on the roster, yet you can only play 5 guys at the national finals in the team competition? What other sport would do that? The coach ought to be able to use any of his players on any given day I think. If a coach thinks one guy isn't playing well, why shouldn't they be able to plug another guy in, that's what coaches in other sports get to do. Obviously I don't mean during a round or match in progress, but be able to set whatever line up they want at the start of each match or round. That's the way the Ryder, President's, Solheim, Walker, etc cups work.

Well...... we did see what the high class integrity 'Carolina Way' did at UNC-CH.

Totally agree with that. A coach ought to be able to use the five he wants to put out there on any given day.

Another downside to the sub rule is factoring fatigue in.

A lot of the players were gassed by the end of the tournament after playing that much.

Could have teams resting their players for a round or 2. That takes the tournament out of the golfers hands and more into the strategy behind them.

One of the things that made the finals so great is that these guys have already played 7 rounds in 4 days and are exhausted.

Another downside to the sub rule is factoring fatigue in.

A lot of the players were gassed by the end of the tournament after playing that much.

Could have teams resting their players for a round or 2. That takes the tournament out of the golfers hands and more into the strategy behind them.

One of the things that made the finals so great is that these guys have already played 7 rounds in 4 days and are exhausted.

Honestly I think that adds to argument for being able to sub. Let the coach earn his money and decide whether he wants to sit a tired 1 or 2 player and play a fresh 6 or 7.

Honestly I think that adds to argument for being able to sub. Let the coach earn his money and decide whether he wants to sit a tired 1 or 2 player and play a fresh 6 or 7.

Yeah I don't think it should be about the coach. Just think golf should be about the players and not the coach once the tournament starts.

Yeah I don't think it should be about the coach. Just think golf should be about the players and not the coach once the tournament starts.

You can argue about being able to freely substitute players and make valid points on both sides I guess. The thing that made no sense to me at was not being able to sub in another guy for a player that was clearly injuried (not during the match, but for the next match.) I was pulling for Oregon last night, but I thought it really took away from it since one match had to be forfeited by Texas. It taints Oregon's victory a bit and would've added a pretty good story to the final last night to see if Texas's 6th player could've come in and made a match against his Oregon opponent.

Exactly...too easy to abuse that rule.

You can argue about being able to freely substitute players and make valid points on both sides I guess. The thing that made no sense to me at was not being able to sub in another guy for a player that was clearly injuried (not during the match, but for the next match.) I was pulling for Oregon last night, but I thought it really took away from it since one match had to be forfeited by Texas. It taints Oregon's victory a bit and would've added a pretty good story to the final last night to see if Texas's 6th player could've come in and made a match against his Oregon opponent.

That would be like saying the Warriors have a "tainted" NBA title last year because Kevin Love was out for the Cavs. No way. Rules are rules and you play by them.

Back