• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's Golf

Old Town Club, while private, is and always will be the home of Wake Forest Golf.

I know our guys have privileges there - but are they unlimited? Do our players get unfettered access to the course? I ask because I really don't know.

I haven't been there in a few years, but is there anything in the clubhouse or around the course that associates it with Wake Forest? It is a really nice facility but, whether or not it is our 'home', it will never be Wake Forest's course. Kind of like the Joel before we bought it - but worse because Wake was a much more prominent user/tenant at the Joel.

I know our guys have privileges there - but are they unlimited? Do our players get unfettered access to the course? I ask because I really don't know.

I haven't been there in a few years, but is there anything in the clubhouse or around the course that associates it with Wake Forest? It is a really nice facility but, whether or not it is our 'home', it will never be Wake Forest's course. Kind of like the Joel before we bought it - but worse because Wake was a much more prominent user/tenant at the Joel.

I mean there's not a huge plaque when you drive in, but OTC does recognize it in various ways http://oldtownclub.org/viewCustomPage.aspx?id=151

The wall leading into the Men's Locker Room has photos of all WFU All Americans that have come through OTC.

Yes, the team pretty much has unfettered access to the course. There is no point in making it Wake Forest's course, and there is certainly no point in making any other course the Wake Forest course. Our golf programs have as great of a set-up as you could possibly ask for.

If I am not mistaken, there is a pretty big Wake Forest flag that flies at the front of the clubhouse. Right with the US flag and maybe a NC flag (the state - not the cheater school)?

If I am not mistaken, there is a pretty big Wake Forest flag that flies at the front of the clubhouse. Right with the US flag and maybe a NC flag (the state - not the cheater school)?

Actually yea, I think that is right.

Old Town does a great job of embracing the heritage and history of Wake Forest golf. Most of the club's leadership either went to Wake Forest or totally buy in to the importance of creating a home course environment. In fact there are a few members I know who went to UNC who don't like it but know better than to complain. The club also knows that by embracing the Wake culture it gives them something of huge significance and uniqueness that other clubs don't have. Wake Forest is part of the fabric of the club. I'm not sure exactly which hole but from one of the tee's you can see Wait Chapel. I dare anyone who loves Wake to stand on that tee and not feel a chill or walk into the locker room and not take the time to look at the pics on the wall.

Old Town receives no money from Wake Forest which makes this relationship truly special.

There was a board discussion several years ago about WF and OTC. Someone, supposedly in the know, stated that WF actually owned OTC. Obviously, if so, some relationship exists behind a big curtain. Anyway, that's what I recall. (back when the discussion was for WF to obtain/build/buy our own golf course).

There was a board discussion several years ago about WF and OTC. Someone, supposedly in the know, stated that WF actually owned OTC. Obviously, if so, some relationship exists behind a big curtain. Anyway, that's what I recall. (back when the discussion was for WF to obtain/build/buy our own golf course).

Arnie had offered to design us a course for free at one point, right? Instead he designed Lonnie Poole for NCSU.

Arnie had offered to design us a course for free at one point, right? Instead he designed Lonnie Poole for NCSU.

That course was going to be up in Stokes county on the Dalton Farm land (my grandfather manages/managed the farm). Would have been a huge pain in the ass for the players to use compared to OTC. There are lots of reasons that deal never worked out from what I recall.

Some of my best golf memories as a kid were the times the Wake guys let me join them for a twilight 9 around OTC.

Old Town is a member owned club and unlike a lot of clubs today financially healthy.

Initiation is $40K I believe

Wake was going to buy what used to be Pinebrook CC, along with some acreage across the road in the Vulcan quarry. Arnie would then donate his design services for free to create a whole new 18 hole championship course. The board at PBCC was on board with the idea until it became apparent that Wake would not grandfather the existing members in as members of the new club, which was supposed to have a steep initiation fee.

Wake was going to buy what used to be Pinebrook CC, along with some acreage across the road in the Vulcan quarry.

Wow, wasn't aware of that option. So, that's at least two efforts Wake has made at building a golf course.

Wow, wasn't aware of that option. So, that's at least two efforts Wake has made at building a golf course.

A few years ago Wake could have had the course basically for free and Wellman wouldn't even sit down and meet about it.

A few years ago Wake could have had the course basically for free and Wellman wouldn't even sit down and meet about it.

A few years ago, Wellman was in the middle of the biggest shit show of his career. Too busy shoveling bullshit to worry about a golf course.

How is it that Texas didn't have any other players there to step in for Hossler? Seems crazy to concede a match without having anyone else to play.

How is it that Texas didn't have any other players there to step in for Hossler? Seems crazy to concede a match without having anyone else to play.

I was wondering how that match finished so quickly despite the other matches still being played on the front 9. So what happened? He had to quit due to injury or something?

Think that is a shitty rule that they couldn't replace him today for an injury suffered yesterday.

2-2 with final match on 19th hole right now.

Back