• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most of the names on the list are now available

just throwing a bunch of names in a hat and drawing them out would make a really entertaining tournament as well, but that defeats the purpose of actually trying to determine a champion.

So does a single elimination format.

So does a single elimination format.

I don't agree with that. "Shit happens & winners win" aren't valid excuses for the shit job that the committee did this year. That's not to say that I haven't enjoyed the tournament this year, this has been the best first weekend in recent memory, Selection committee still did a shittier job than usual.

I don't agree with that. "Shit happens & winners win" aren't valid excuses for the shit job that the committee did this year. That's not to say that I haven't enjoyed the tournament this year, this has been the best first weekend in recent memory, Selection committee still did a shittier job than usual.

You don't believe a series format would be a better way to crown a champion? Not necessarily the most exciting, but better means of identifying the best? Seriously?

You don't believe a series format would be a better way to crown a champion? Not necessarily the most exciting, but better means of identifying the best? Seriously?

you said a single elimination format defeats the purpose of trying to determine a true champion, and I said I don't agree with that. I didn't say that a single elimination tournament was the best way to determine a true champion. An accurately seeded single elimination tournament is still a better format than throwing a bunch of teams together based on how entertaining the game will be. I do agree that a series format would be the most accurate way to find the true champion

wait, we're trying to determine a champion? i thought we were trying to make lots of money

I find it funny that every candidate that has been halfway seriously mentioned for Wake (except for Archie) lost out in the first weekend. I'm not sure if that is an extension of the Wake Forest curse, or if they are all trying to fit in to the Wake Forest Way to impress Wellman.

I find it funny that every candidate that has been halfway seriously mentioned for Wake (except for Archie) lost out in the first weekend. I'm not sure if that is an extension of the Wake Forest curse, or if they are all trying to fit in to the Wake Forest Way to impress Wellman.

Yeah. So did Jim, Roy and K. #parity

Having said that #FatArchieIn #InArchie'sWife

Obviously we want to do well in the NCAAT, but people need to appreciate what a crapshoot it really is.

Obviously we want to do well in the NCAAT, but people need to appreciate what a crapshoot it really is.

We've not sniffed the NCAAT. Let's get there first and then we'll appreciate the crapshoot.

Yeah, I always hate how our 2003 and 2005 teams (and to a lesser extent 2009) don't get the credit that they deserved just because they got upset in the NCAA Tournament. I do think that if Skip didn't pass away that he would've eventually led us to quite a few deep runs in the NCAA Tournament. It sucks that his era at Wake Forest probably is never going to get the respect that it deserves from outsiders.

Last edited:
Yeah, I always hate how our 2003 and 2005 teams (and to a lesser extent 2009) don't get the credit that they deserved just because they got upset in the NCAA Tournament.

Better ACC Tournament showings would have helped, too.

For such a crapshoot, some great coaches typically end up winning the whole thing.

It ain't super complicated. If Wake could ever consistently put 2-3 NBA players on their team at the same time, at some point we would break through. Our problem has been that we have only had two NBA players on the same team on 8 of our 14 NCAA teams since 1990. 2 with Chilldress/Rogers, 2 with Childress/Duncan, 2 with Howard/Songaila and 2 with Aminu/Smith (with Johnson/Teague on the 1st team). We have only had 1 team with more than 2.

Without superior talent, you need superior game coaching (not a strength of any of our recent coaches) and a lot of luck. And, as we know, God hates Wake for leaving the Baptist Convention.

Back