• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most of the names on the list are now available

Yep. Sig explained it. If you're using Childress as an NBA player, are you just talking draft picks?

How about McDermott? He is also now available.

Last edited:
Yep. Sig explained it. If you're using Childress as an NBA player, are you just talking draft picks?

Basically. I may have messed up and not considered Chris King or Anthony Tucker in the early 90s.

To put it another way, if you have multiple NBA draft picks, you will break through eventually.

How has he done when he hasn't coached his son?

I don't know. !st year in the AAC as they were Missouri Valley before this with Wichita State.

Greg McDermott years (2010–present)[edit]

Former Northern Iowa coach Greg McDermott resigned from Iowa State and accepted the head coaching job at Creighton following Altman's departure. The 2010-11 Jays finished 23-16 and reached the finals of the 2011 College Basketball Invitational where they met the Oregon Ducks and their former head coach. The Ducks would prevail 2-1 in a best of three series. The 2011–12 Bluejays featured senior point guard Antoine Young and Rutgers transfer Gregory Echenique in the post. Coach McDermott's son, Doug McDermott, emerged as a star player, being named a consensus first-team All-American and MVC Player of the Year in both 2012 and 2013. In 2012, Creighton finished 2nd in the Valley during the regular season and won the MVC conference tournament. The Jays finished 29-6. They reached the second round of the 2012 NCAA Tournament defeating Alabama before falling to North Carolina. In 2013, Creighton won both the MVC regular-season and tournament titles, ending the season 28–7. They defeated Cincinnati in the round of 64 and, in the next round, they fell to Duke.

Between getting drafted by Portland (I know they passed on Jordan and I think they also could have taken Durant, so their decision making is not great), his shoulder injury and feeling he would be a bench player in the NBA, he opted for Europe. My understanding is that he went for the best financial route for him, instead of hanging around the NBA fringe. So I think him not having 5-10 years in the NBA became more of a choice. If Rusty could hang around long enough to get an NBA pension, I'm sure Childress could have done that at the very least.

Which brings up the fact that Rusty was an NBA player as well, undrafted but met the minimum for an NBA pension.

Yeah. I was just wondering about the standard because Sig wasn't counting Rusty or Ish. Loren Woods should count as a pick though.

It ain't super complicated. If Wake could ever consistently put 2-3 NBA players on their team at the same time, at some point we would break through. Our problem has been that we have only had two NBA players on the same team on 8 of our 14 NCAA teams since 1990. 2 with Chilldress/Rogers, 2 with Childress/Duncan, 2 with Howard/Songaila and 2 with Aminu/Smith (with Johnson/Teague on the 1st team). We have only had 1 team with more than 2.

Without superior talent, you need superior game coaching (not a strength of any of our recent coaches) and a lot of luck. And, as we know, God hates Wake for leaving the Baptist Convention.

Ha, if you look at sports he's hated us long before then!

I had an alarming update that we cannot afford a top coach. I hope the message was just a smokescreen. Next few days are critical.

I had an alarming update that we cannot afford a top coach. I hope the message was just a smokescreen. Next few days are critical.

Define "can't afford a top coach"

Does that mean no shaka and we can pursue archie?

Between getting drafted by Portland (I know they passed on Jordan and I think they also could have taken Durant, so their decision making is not great), his shoulder injury and feeling he would be a bench player in the NBA, he opted for Europe. My understanding is that he went for the best financial route for him, instead of hanging around the NBA fringe. So I think him not having 5-10 years in the NBA became more of a choice. If Rusty could hang around long enough to get an NBA pension, I'm sure Childress could have done that at the very least.

Which brings up the fact that Rusty was an NBA player as well, undrafted but met the minimum for an NBA pension.

He was drafted by Detroit.

If true, RW could have signed his third tier coach by now. I think it is a smokescreen or an excuse for RW to use when he signs Bzzz 2.0

It ain't super complicated. If Wake could ever consistently put 2-3 NBA players on their team at the same time, at some point we would break through. Our problem has been that we have only had two NBA players on the same team on 8 of our 14 NCAA teams since 1990. 2 with Chilldress/Rogers, 2 with Childress/Duncan, 2 with Howard/Songaila and 2 with Aminu/Smith (with Johnson/Teague on the 1st team). We have only had 1 team with more than 2.

Without superior talent, you need superior game coaching (not a strength of any of our recent coaches) and a lot of luck. And, as we know, God hates Wake for leaving the Baptist Convention.

Chris King and Anthony Tucker played on the same team as Rodney Rogers in 1992 (3).

In 1991, the team included Chris King, Anthony Tucker, Rodney Rogers, and Randolph Childress (4).

It ain't super complicated Butthead. It's just counting. It's not even math.

Pretty easy to find these things out in the Sports Almanac that runs through 2000.

And the fact that the 1991 team was only a 5 seed in the NCAA tournament should tell you a lot about the quality of players in the NCAA now v. then. Even more telling is that they lost to a 4 seed Alabama that had Robert Horry, Latrell Sprewell, and James Robinson. Melvin Cheatum was also on that team and was drafted by the CBA.

That Alabama team lost in the Sweet Sixteen to Arkansas.

Yeah. I was just wondering about the standard because Sig wasn't counting Rusty or Ish. Loren Woods should count as a pick though.

I missed Rusty, but counted Ish Smith. Apropos of nothing, I think Ish has had a much more legit NBA career than Rusty, who, IIRC, was inactive for a significant portion of his time with the Bulls.

Back