• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

my convo with tyler cavanaugh.

I think that the players should ignore all the anti-[Redacted] and Wellman stuff, that has no impact on them playing.

The players, Wellman, and the BOT don't want to admit they were wrong to back a career loser so they'll justify it however they need to.

This is the ultimate truth about this entire situation--this hire was never, at any point in time, defensible. There was nothing Jeff [Redacted] had accomplished in his career that qualified him to be a head basketball coach in the ACC, much less at Wake Forest. The kabuki dance that has been done since then to cover for his inevitable failure has been totally absurd to have to watch. It was a given he was going to fail--the unexpected part of this whole saga is the degree to which the administration has been totally unable to admit that they were wrong.

You also can't underestimate the impact of 'change' on the 'kids'. Just saying get rid of bzz without being able say your new coach will be 'x'. It's easy for us to say we'll go get any number of coaches to come in here, but 'we' don't have to practice with them or play for them every day. Yes, 'we' all know the team would play better and do better with a new coach, but there is always 'will I get along/like the new coach' to consider.

Had [Redacted] not blown those three ACC games, Richmond and Seton Hall, we would have had a shot at the NIT.

I think that the players should ignore all the anti-[Redacted] and Wellman stuff, that has no impact on them playing.

This is correct. If the kid went out of his way to trash the program to a complete stranger, that would say way more about the kid than the program.

Bz gave Tyler a real shot this year, a lot of playing time. He's probably really grateful to him. As I've written elsewhere, I think Bz sees a lot of himself in Tyler and maybe treats him accordingly.

We were so bad, we could have won those and still only made the NIT.

That would be a funny scenario, denying the ACC tourney champs the automatic bid because we were coached by [Redacted], and it was nationwide consensus opinion that we still had no business being there.

[Redacted] completely screwed with everything that made Tyler a prized player coming out of high school. First he had Tyler gain at least twenty pounds. This messed with everything from his quickness to his footing. Of course, Tyler played completely out of position at center and in the post. For his HS team and in AAU he was a perimeter, finesse player.

[Redacted] completely screwed with everything that made Tyler a prized player coming out of high school. First he had Tyler gain at least twenty pounds. This messed with everything from his quickness to his footing. Of course, Tyler played completely out of position at center and in the post. For his HS team and in AAU he was a perimeter, finesse player.

Which I will also blame on Bzz because he is apparently allergic to recruiting front court depth.

I wouldn't exactly call Cav a "prized" player. He wasn't a consensus top 100 recruit.

Tyler is going to be a stretch 4-a good one. He needed the 20 lbs and added upper body strength no matter where he plays. Unfortunately, the injury to Green forced him to play too many minutes at 5. One of his best games of the year was in Canada before Green was hurt.

Actually, it is nothing like the Stockholm system. It is a method of professional motivation that creates a sense of a small group of "us" against a larger group of "them". Tracy Kidder's book "The Soul of a New Machine" is illustrative. In this case the "us" are in control while the "them" (we of this board) are impotent, even though the prevailing mood is that we are important. At this point in time, what are we fighting for, as the battle has been lost.

Actually, it is nothing like the Stockholm system. It is a method of professional motivation that creates a sense of a small group of "us" against a larger group of "them". Tracy Kidder's book "The Soul of a New Machine" is illustrative. In this case the "us" are in control while the "them" (we of this board) are impotent, even though the prevailing mood is that we are important. At this point in time, what are we fighting for, as the battle has been lost.

That sounds right as well. :eek:

Back