• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

my convo with tyler cavanaugh.

Having offers from Syracuse, Notre Dame, Wake and others makes you prized.

No, not really. He wasn't a top 100 recruit. Stillman White had offers from UNC and BYU, and he wasn't a prized recruit.

Doesn't Notre Dame have a rule where they have to offer anybody named "Cavanaugh", just like Kentucky has to offer Mr. Kentucky Basketball and ended up with Jon Hood.

Him and his family came into Mac Grill last night, (his dad is at least 7 foot tall btw), and I got a chance to talk to tyler while watching the end of the Wichita St. v. Ohio St. game. His family are all great people and it was fun talking basketball with them. Anyways, after the game I decided to approach tyler and tell him that just because most Wake fans are buzzout, some more adamant than others, it doesn't reflect our feelings towards the players and organization as a whole in the least bit and that no matter who the coach was we are proud of them and support them 100%.

His response was a small smile, and he said something like, "yeah, well if we finished every game strong we would have been above .500 and maybe even in the tourney. and we're all young and aren't good on the road. we're just gonna keep working hard and looking forward to a great season next year."

I agreed with his stance on how this season could have easily been a success, brought up Va Tech, BC, GT, Duke, Seton Hall, Uconn etc.. Then he continued, "and about all of the negative stuff about coach, the only thing that bothers the players is we just find it weird that some people are crazy enough to devote so much time, energy, and money to ruining a man's career. there's just some crazy people in that group"

I bit my tongue hard on that one, what I wanted to say was, "that snotty nosed cunt is ruining his own god damned career, and if he devoted as much energy and passion towards wake basketball as we do trying to get him canned then we would have been in the fucking tournament this year."

But I just went with, "well you know how people are when they love something..." He agreed and shrugged his shoulders, and continued again, "they have been having people meet with us the past few weeks and talk about all of the anti jeff and anti ron stuff thats been all over the news. and they've just been telling us to ignore it, that its not worth the distraction or wasted time worrying about it."

After hearing that I immediately wanted to delve into that more, but realized it wasn't the proper time or place to begin a full on investigation into what sounded like brainwashing (i mean really? PEOPLE have been meeting with you? who? when? where? was jeff or ron there?). So I thanked him for his business, reaffirmed my support for him and his teammates, and left the table.

Way to exercise restraint :)

Thanks for the report.

Tyler is going to be a stretch 4-a good one. He needed the 20 lbs and added upper body strength no matter where he plays. Unfortunately, the injury to Green forced him to play too many minutes at 5. One of his best games of the year was in Canada before Green was hurt.

It was also against a bunch of Canadians from a school nobody had ever heard of.

Isn't it time for you to go clean up the salad bar or something?

Neg, and thanks for the retaliatory btw. Maybe next time don't post dumb shit on a public message board if you want to keep it private. Dude comes on here posting interesting info about a basketball player and you don't have anything better to do than give him shit about his job? Great work.

Last edited:
Neg, and thanks for the retaliatory btw. Maybe next time don't post dumb shit on a public message board if you want to keep it private. Dude comes on here posting interesting info about a basketball player and you don't have anything better to do than give him shit about his job? Great work.

Like I said, mind your own business. I told him it was an interesting story, and we exchanged other neutral/friendly messages. No one's feelings are hurt. Find someone else's battles to fight, Florence.

ZQ, your feelings aren't hurt are they? You always seem like a guy who can laugh at pretty much anything.

Last edited:
Bz gave Tyler a real shot this year, a lot of playing time. He's probably really grateful to him. As I've written elsewhere, I think Bz sees a lot of himself in Tyler and maybe treats him accordingly.

this is the most compelling reason yet for Tyler to transfer. RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNN!!!!!!!!

I also think Tyler can be an effective player. Way too many minutes. Shouldn't really be playing until junior year. Daniel green won't really help because I don't think he is ready either. Bz is to blame (big surprise) for not consistently recruiting big men during his time here.

Just leave the kids alone when they are with their family. That is not the time nor place to be bothering them. They have lives also and they don't need you sticking your nose in theirs. I don't like what is going on either but that is invasion of their privacy.

Just leave the kids alone when they are with their family. That is not the time nor place to be bothering them. They have lives also and they don't need you sticking your nose in theirs. I don't like what is going on either but that is invasion of their privacy.

FYI, Tyler approached me initially. He remembered me from his dinner with his family after the season opener. Plus he was alone at the table at the time, his family was at the bar catching the highlights of the games.. Other than that I agree with your stance.

Like I said, mind your own business. I told him it was an interesting story, and we exchanged other neutral/friendly messages. No one's feelings are hurt. Find someone else's battles to fight, Florence.

ZQ, your feelings aren't hurt are they? You always seem like a guy who can laugh at pretty much anything.

Nah I have thick skin, no worries bro.

I guess much like his coach, Tyler only watches college basketball when he has to.

(sorry, but the joke was sitting right there)

And it shows that some/most of them are probably playing for the coach not the school.

I really hope it isn't most. That could result in a unpleasant fallout when Buzz is fired (for those of us who are still optimistic). If I had to guess, I think players like Chase, Cav, and maybe half of Devin are playing for the coach (even though Chase transferred). But I look at players like Travis, CJ, and Tree (and Shelton in the future) who are definitely playing for the school. As far as the others like Madison and Moto, maybe they're part for the school and part for their shot on an ACC team.

Like I said, in their haste to defend the indefensible, the powers that be are willing to attack and try to smear anyone. So far we have Dino, former players, now the fans who question the Buzz hire (just about the whole fan base).

I suppose one could question what is the proper amount of time (and money) to spend on this but people ought to be concerned about how they spend their own time (and money) rather than worrying about others.

No fan, or fans, could ruin Buzz's career. His won-loss record is his career, and fans are not responsible for that.

Well, you can try to smear the fan base but what about all the national media that has severely criticized Wellman and Buzz. Are they spending too much time on the issue and trying to destroy Buzz's "brilliant" career too?

Obviously, the players are being fed some talking points by the administration. My question is, where will the smear campaign stop?

And just as a minor point to Ron Wellman: IIRC in Professor Helms' logic class at Wake the argumentum ad hominem was the first logical fallacy we discussed.

The alienating started when Bz was hired and Ron said he wasn't trying to win the press conference. Bz' comment about people who have never built anything didn't help either.

I really hope it isn't most. That could result in a unpleasant fallout when Buzz is fired (for those of us who are still optimistic). If I had to guess, I think players like Chase, Cav, and maybe half of Devin are playing for the coach (even though Chase transferred). But I look at players like Travis, CJ, and Tree (and Shelton in the future) who are definitely playing for the school. As far as the others like Madison and Moto, maybe they're part for the school and part for their shot on an ACC team.

i don't think they're mutually exclusive. players would be crazy to transfer out once bz is released, when the program is actually poised to progress again.

Him and his family came into Mac Grill last night, (his dad is at least 7 foot tall btw), and I got a chance to talk to tyler while watching the end of the Wichita St. v. Ohio St. game. His family are all great people and it was fun talking basketball with them. Anyways, after the game I decided to approach tyler and tell him that just because most Wake fans are buzzout, some more adamant than others, it doesn't reflect our feelings towards the players and organization as a whole in the least bit and that no matter who the coach was we are proud of them and support them 100%.

His response was a small smile, and he said something like, "yeah, well if we finished every game strong we would have been above .500 and maybe even in the tourney. and we're all young and aren't good on the road. we're just gonna keep working hard and looking forward to a great season next year."

I agreed with his stance on how this season could have easily been a success, brought up Va Tech, BC, GT, Duke, Seton Hall, Uconn etc.. Then he continued, "and about all of the negative stuff about coach, the only thing that bothers the players is we just find it weird that some people are crazy enough to devote so much time, energy, and money to ruining a man's career. there's just some crazy people in that group"

I bit my tongue hard on that one, what I wanted to say was, "that snotty nosed cunt is ruining his own god damned career, and if he devoted as much energy and passion towards wake basketball as we do trying to get him canned then we would have been in the fucking tournament this year."

But I just went with, "well you know how people are when they love something..." He agreed and shrugged his shoulders, and continued again, "they have been having people meet with us the past few weeks and talk about all of the anti jeff and anti ron stuff thats been all over the news. and they've just been telling us to ignore it, that its not worth the distraction or wasted time worrying about it."
After hearing that I immediately wanted to delve into that more, but realized it wasn't the proper time or place to begin a full on investigation into what sounded like brainwashing (i mean really? PEOPLE have been meeting with you? who? when? where? was jeff or ron there?). So I thanked him for his business, reaffirmed my support for him and his teammates, and left the table.

Actually, it is nothing like the Stockholm system. It is a method of professional motivation that creates a sense of a small group of "us" against a larger group of "them". Tracy Kidder's book "The Soul of a New Machine" is illustrative. In this case the "us" are in control while the "them" (we of this board) are impotent, even though the prevailing mood is that we are important. At this point in time, what are we fighting for, as the battle has been lost.

I agree with Wink. And I think it is likely that "having people meet with us" is part of that strategy. Ron is being stupid about Buzz but he is no idiot. He knows that if Buzz's players keep transfering, the gig is up. So he has brought in some "people" to "work" with the players. I can see where this strategy and those "people" might be able to fool the players for a year. But I find it hard to believe that they will still be that gullible next year. I'll bet Travis wishes he had not listened to Chill last year.

i don't think they're mutually exclusive. players would be crazy to transfer out once bz is released, when the program is actually poised to progress again.

Even if they do somehow like him; I think the players know, deep down, that Buzz is anchor.

Back