• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"My First Big Boy Trip" by Donald J. Trump

What's this Amazon Prime Post subscription? I've been thinking about pulling the trigger but I usually seem to be able to get around the paywall.

Yo, phdeac, the Post gives free subscriptions to anyone with a university email address. Not sure how long it lasts, but I've had it for like a year.

The Guardian is my primary go to. It is liberal leaning, but they offer a more factual and less dramatic look at most events. Their minute by minute live updates are great for breaking news/sports. I listen to NPR but have never really checked out their website.

How did we miss this one?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...t-in-a-country-where-its-punishable-by-death/

ROSS: There’s no question that they’re liberalizing their society. And I think the other thing that was fascinating to me: There was not a single hint of a protester anywhere there during the whole time we were there. Not one guy with a bad placard, instead there was …
CNBC HOST: But Secretary Ross, that may be not necessarily because they don’t have those feelings there, but because they control people and don’t allow to them to come and express their feelings quite the same as we do here.
ROSS: In theory, that could be true. But, boy, there was certainly no sign of it, there wasn’t a single effort of any incursion. There wasn’t anything. The mood was a genuinely good mood.

I didn't see it! It's not real!

So, just what did Trump's note in the Western Wall say?

_96162658_d306ec7c-7335-4e68-b19e-19ecb926725b.jpg

One thing Trump and the Pope have in common: Kathleen Parker.

Quote:
----------
So the pope, the president, a Muslim and a Jew walk into a bar . . .

Surely, I’m not the only one to tighten the frame around President Trump’s wildly ironic and ambitious foreign odyssey to promote “tolerance.” Which, let’s face it, would seem to be the joke. The most candidly intolerant president in history set out Friday on a Napoleonic expedition not to conquer the world but to advance a cause he apparently embraced yesterday.

Meanwhile, the many possible outcomes — from monstrous, Earth-tilting gaffes to World Peace In Our Time (and lots in between) — are riveting to consider. And everything hinges on the performance of the most unpredictable, unlikely emissary ever to cross the threshold of Air Force One.

That’s my inner cynic speaking. My inner Pollyanna has a different take:...

...With their meeting on the horizon, Francis has said he always tries to find “doors that are at least a little bit open.” Maybe if Trump sticks to script, he’ll be on solid ground with the topics he intends to discuss.

The United States has long recognized that where religious freedom is restricted, terrorism and extremism flourish and minorities suffer. And Francis has made human trafficking, which he has called “a plague on the body of contemporary humanity,” one of his key issues. There are today more people living in slavery than at any other time in history, with estimates as high as 27 million.

Trump can make the case that not only is slavery evil in its own right but human trafficking is intricately interwoven with terrorism and religious persecution. This overlap can be seen in the persecution of religious minorities in the Middle East, such as the Islamic State’s Palm Sunday slaughter of more than 40 Coptic Christians in Egypt during worship services. Other intersections are seen in the theology of rape practiced by members of the Islamic State, who, in between prayers, have sexually assaulted women and young girls from the Yazidi community as religious ritual.

In other examples of slavery, just from Burma: Ethnic Rakhine civilians have been forced by the army to dig graves, porter guns and perform other manual labor. Child soldiers are drafted into the military and forced labor. Ethnic Kachin women are trafficked to China, where they’re forced into marriage or work.

One needn’t be aligned with Catholic theology to recognize the inherent evil of such practices. One only needs to be human. Out of respect for the purposes of Trump’s trip, we should wish the president godspeed and, if you believe in a higher power, lend him your prayers.

And may your cynic and your Pollyanna make peace.
----------

Trump and Obama letters at the Holocaust Memorial

imrs.php

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...st-memorial/?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.8af267edf1fb

President Trump's entry in the guest book at Israel's national Holocaust memorial was strangely upbeat, self-referential and written in his signature all-caps: “IT IS A GREAT HONOR TO BE HERE WITH ALL OF MY FRIENDS — SO AMAZING & WILL NEVER FORGET!”
The brevity and tone of the note may have been a function of the hurry the president was in during his time at the site, known as Yad Vashem, which he visited Tuesday. Packing so much into just 27 hours in Israel left only half an hour for the memorial, a customary stop on U.S. presidential visits, which precluded him from getting a full tour of the museum. Trump already had come under fire for that perceived slight to the memorial before his one-sentence missive started raising eyebrows and making headlines.

The guest book entry provides an opportunity to contrast Trump's style with that of his predecessor, Barack Obama, who spent an hour at Yad Vashem and gave an emotional speech in 2013. Obama had already visited once, in 2008, when he was an Illinois senator running for president. On that trip, he left this note in the guest book:
“I am grateful to Yad Vashem and all of those responsible for this remarkable institution. At a time of great peril and promise, war and strife, we are blessed to have such a powerful reminder of man's potential for great evil, but also our capacity to rise up from tragedy and remake our world. Let our children come here, and know this history, so that they can add their voices to proclaim 'never again'.� And may we remember those who perished, not only as victims, but also as individuals who hoped and loved and dreamed like us, and who have become symbols of the human spirit.”
Although Trump and Obama's styles certainly differed, their speeches echoed the sentiment that is imbued in the post-Holocaust credo: “Never forget.”

obummer such an elitist libtard. trump is a guy i'd like to have a non-alcoholic beer with

Why would you wear all black to meet with the pope?

Maybe trumps laughing because the picture is just after the pope gave him the book about climate change.

Melanie and Donald look like how Skyler and Walter White did at the end -- him beaming, and her horrified

Well they are all dressed in black. I wonder if the Muslims are happy about Melania and Ivanka covering their heads for the Pope but not in Saudi Arabia.

The Pope does look like he's constipated to be seen with Trump.

so the women have to cover their heads? what is this, some sort of repressive religious dictatoriship?

Back