• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

National Signing Day Thread 2/6

1990 -

but do we really want to be Miami? I don't have the answer, and I think we have to keep our academic standards at a certain level, but it is an issue.

AIR, there was a brief thread here a couple weeks ago - with credible links - showing evidence that Wake's ( and DUKE's ) academic minimums for football student-athletes are very, very low....something like 890 SAT and C average in HS....FAR below base requirements for normal students.

Personally, I never want to be like Miami....but do hope we can recruit like Franklin has at Vandy !!

BTW, did that beast of a picture kid ( Hauser ? ) sign his LOI ?

Last edited:
FWIW we are ranked 8th in the ACC, barely behind State. That's a lot better than normal..

FWIW we are ranked 8th in the ACC, barely behind State. That's a lot better than normal..

on what service? And State lost a pretty good handful of guys when TOB left

According to Rivals we were 8th and 54th nationally. The loss of Tetlow will drop us in all likelihood and other sites have us closer to 80th or so.

Is our ranking inflated because of all the guys we're bringing in? I notice Rivals has us ahead of Miami but they're bringing in five four stars and we're bringing in none.

we're 12th out of 14 now (in front of Cuse and BC) if you go by average star. I guess we got points for having a big class.

According to Rivals we were 8th and 54th nationally. The loss of Tetlow will drop us in all likelihood and other sites have us closer to 80th or so.

Rivals dropped us to 58th a little while ago and now has us in a three way tie at 57th.

How was academics cited as one of the reasons we lost Tetlow? Or did I misread.

How many more recruiting classes does Grobe have in him?

How was academics cited as one of the reasons we lost Tetlow? Or did I misread.

How many more recruiting classes does Grobe have in him?

It was probably just a throwaway excuse to switch schools late and still save face

You sound pretty subdued about this class Lectro, what gives?

I think I have been hailing the commits all along. I am tickled with Derrick Jackson and the slew of "athletes who are football players first" he has brought in. Take a listen and look at Stan Cotten and Jackson upon Wendell Dunn's signing :

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/wendell_dunn_838414.html

Wendell is 6'4-210 to close to 220 by now...he sacrificed as a 4 year starter and stayed at a weight where he could play WR, S, and OLB. Jackson has said elsewhere that he expects him to be 240 plus before long and no sacrificing speed.

The guy Hauser was not allowed to play last year --he transferred as well then won POY in his conference. That couldn't help his recruiting, eh? The staff has known of him for awhile.
He is very stout...his film shows him standing up OL and basically crunching people at the line. I mean the little bit of film shows him crushing people...they get hit and just kind of crumple. Years ago the Pack took a 6'2-245 pound nobody named John McCargo...so nobody can say one way or another. The advantages : he appears to be real strong and seems to know how to play the game and they feel he has the frame to be a NT.

Also, among many others, I Love Johnny Armstrong...he is a sandlot=lifetime player who makes cuts and moves Wake fans haven't often seen. He was not 100% as a SR and it cost him some...if he returns to the dynamics of his JR season then he will certainly be considered a "steal" inside the ACC as we reflect in a few years out.

I LOVE this class... Took care of the O line needs and added an anchor DT with 6'4-285 James Looney set to join Harris, Lewison, G.P. and Banks, et.al.

Looney is the Star of the Class, along with Virgile...imho

I LOVE this class... Took care of the O line needs and added an anchor DT with 6'4-285 James Looney set to join Harris, Lewison, G.P. and Banks, et.al.

Looney is the Star of the Class, along with Virgile...imho
Awesome.

Any chance any of these see the field next year?

Rivals now has us in a three way tie for 58 with Marshall and Iowa State. Marshall managed to get three four stars.

Rivals now has us in a three way tie for 58 with Marshall and Iowa State. Marshall managed to get three four stars.

But but but small schools that aren't big-time programs can't get 4 stars!!

Have we ever got a guy on national signing day since Aphonso Smith (2004?) that actually had other major offers?

It would take a lot more than Grayson and Vason for WFU to become Miami as it relates to academics for student-athletes.

yeah, if we're going down that road, lets not do it for a 5'8 corner.

Back