• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NBA Off-season thread: Duncan and Garnett retire

Batum should wait until KD signs. He'll likely be one of the top targets for several teams after that. He doesn't have to make a decision over the weekend.

The Hornets might have to max him to keep him. Good him! Not as good for the team.

I think they've planned on maxing him all along. It would really surprise me if he left.

You said wing player, which is typically the 2 and the 3, though I tried to only name guys who could play/guard both positions.

If you are talking 3's who can play small ball 4, or 4's that can guard 3's, then you've got

Lebron
KD
George
Draymond
Gay
Parsons
M. Williams
Crowder
DeMarre Carroll
Harris
Melo
Deng
Porter
Aminu

I'll take Barnes over:

Gay (close but he's a max dude)
Parsons (injury - he's near a max dude)
Marvin (Age)
Crowder (Not good enough shooter, got that Brad Stevens bump)
Carroll (Age and injury - But basically he got close to max)
Deng (No miles left)
Porter (Don't know enough about his defense)
Aminu (No more upside)
Harris (Got max or close to it)

So yeah, I'm cool with Barnes at the max, especially given the flaming pile of shit the 3 position has been with my Clips for 4 straight years now. Having a shitty 3 is death. You need someone who can guard the lebrons of the world, and Barnes can.

Jeff Green had basically the same numbers and a better PER than Barnes. You can get him for under $10M.

Jeff Green had basically the same numbers and a better PER than Barnes. You can get him for under $10M.

Jeff green is 5 years older and doesn't seem to enjoy basketball and Barnes can guard LeBron better.

Using PER to evaluate a low usage rate guy on the best offensive team in the history of basketball is a pretty bad way to analyze numbers. His PER will climb even if he shoots way worse %'s just by getting more shots on the Sixers. He's also getting dragged down immensely for Rebound Rate. Of course he has a bad rebound rate in the Warriors system where he's sitting in the corners.

Last edited:
Yah Barnes really locked up LeBron two weeks ago!

Jeff green is 5 years older and doesn't seem to enjoy basketball and Barnes can guard LeBron better.

Using PER to evaluate a low usage rate guy on the best offensive team in the history of basketball is a pretty bad way to analyze numbers. His PER will climb even if he shoots way worse %'s just by getting more shots on the Sixers. He's also getting dragged down immensely for Rebound Rate. Of course he has a bad rebound rate in the Warriors system where he's sitting in the corners.

Barnes got torched by Lebron. He made Barnes his bitch.

There's no rule that the Sixers or anyone else has to sign someone for four years. It's batshit crazy for the sixers or anyone to sign Barnes for anything approaching $20M. Hell, even in this market, he's not worth close to $15M. He's not a good player.

ESPN is reporting that is 90% certain that Durant is re-signing with the Thunder. If they get Horford, they should be 2/1 to win the NBA championship. The Cavs will be second favorites.

rj vs. barnes is probs the weirdest, most annoying trend on the boards in months.

i cant decide if id rather the dubs go after horford than durant.

There's no rule that the Sixers or anyone else has to sign someone for four years. It's batshit crazy for the sixers or anyone to sign Barnes for anything approaching $20M. Hell, even in this market, he's not worth close to $15M. He's not a good player.

ESPN is reporting that is 90% certain that Durant is re-signing with the Thunder. If they get Horford, they should be 2/1 to win the NBA championship. The Cavs will be second favorites.

1428738964-t5.gif

Yah Barnes really locked up LeBron two weeks ago!

Iggy was on Lebron primarily. That's why Barnes is such a hot commodity. The league knows if Barnes was on him instead the Dubs would have another Ship, one that Playoff Barnes would have been largely responsible for.

Well there's two more Spurs news items that flesh all of this out.

Pau Gasol is the real top target in free agency.
The Spurs have signed two Euro stashes in Davis Bertrans and Livio Jean-Charles. Bertrans was the other pick in the Kawhi-Hill trade. Livio was the 2013 1st round pick.

Bertrans, Livio, and Murray will float between the end of the bench and the D-League and replace Bonner, Martin, and Miller with youth. If they get Gasol, Duncan will go to the bench for his last season. He and Manu will be able to help mentor the young players.

Any hope for the season will rest on the backcourt. Green has to return to form and Parker/Mills need to be consistent and reliable as 3rd and 4th options. Anderson and Simmons will be called on to do more this season and won't be on the roster in 2017-18 if they don't.

This is a great post. Then that last paragraph made me pause. Green now sucks. Parker has no stamina and is only good in spurts. Mills is a career role player now forced to pick up the slack for Parker. Simmons is guy number 14 or 15 and Anderson sucks. Anderson has never had the quickness to produce consistently.

I love the idea of adding Gasol, but the backcourt is now a deficit, unfortunately. Deficit as in they play like crap too often.

Mavs now favorites to land Whiteside. #WojBomb

Miami might be feeling Harry Giles #vibes in 2017.

You missed the real #wojbomb though

The Vertical ‏@TheVertical · 6h6 hours ago

After sitting out last season, Carlos Boozer planning NBA return. @WojVerticalNBA story on @TheVertical.

whatever, give him the $

kd ain't comin to miami anyway

Something to think about for the Sixers is that it's likely Simmons will end up being the SF. Embiid/Okafor at Center until one gets traded. Noel/Saric at PF.

A 6'10 Simmons at SF can post up almost anyone and pass out of the post.

I'll take Barnes over:

Gay (close but he's a max dude)
Parsons (injury - he's near a max dude)
Marvin (Age)
Crowder (Not good enough shooter, got that Brad Stevens bump)
Carroll (Age and injury - But basically he got close to max)
Deng (No miles left)
Porter (Don't know enough about his defense)
Aminu (No more upside)
Harris (Got max or close to it)

So yeah, I'm cool with Barnes at the max, especially given the flaming pile of shit the 3 position has been with my Clips for 4 straight years now. Having a shitty 3 is death. You need someone who can guard the lebrons of the world, and Barnes can.

Let's put it this way, Barnes on the Clippers last year doesn't get them a championship. He's an average defender. Similar low usage wings (Middleton and Crowder) have outperformed him, and when you look at other advanced metrics that are less usage dependent he sucks there too.

I understand why he's going to get overpaid this summer. The potential is clearly there and he has shown flashes but I think it's just as likely that the Warriors system is propping him up as it is that the system is holding him back. Also 24 isn't that young, most players have reached or are pretty close to their peak by age 24.

If Barnes ends up being Gay, Parsons, or even Middleton then we will look back in three years and say "yeah he was overpaid but that was a crazy summer." If he ends up just being Harrison Barnes then the 76ers will be taking whatever forward Duke has to offer that year in the top 3.

Back