• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA golf regional

We were ranked 41st coming in and are behind two teams that weren't ranked in the top 50 and 11 shots out of 5th. Kentucky was ranked 32nd coming in and are 16 shots clear of 6th place.

Wow..............GT is tearing it up. Currently 19 shots ahead of 2nd place team......and 50 shots ahead of us.

They are a powerhouse. I wouldn't be surprised if they won it all this year.

A 10 on #1 at Oak Valley in Advance? You could hit two 9 irons on that hole and be close to the green.

Nope. It was #10, and in my shell shocked state after the round I was a total jackass and forgot to tip my caddie (a teenage Little reff). It was a total dick move on my part. It's something I still feel bad about. Not sure what the hell it has to do with this thread though. It happened about 8 years ago I think.

How much is tip + interest?

Now that it looks like we are going to finish outside the top 5, it really is time for a change. This particular team wasn't supposed to make it, but part of being a good coach is getting the occasional team to over achieve and I just never see that from Jerry Haas coached teams.

The recruits coming in are VERY good, and Haas will get a shot at coaching them, but I don't think he should get it.

Today is pretty disappointing, especially if we knew that +8 would get us in.

That said, this year in a nutshell isn't problematic. We have a young team that finished 8th in a regional (and they were the 8th ranked team in the regional). It is the overall scheme of things and how they are going recently in the post-season that is worrisome.

The players coming in the next couple of years are very, very good.

Cyrus will be moving on to compete as an individual as the top individual not on a team, correct?

Now that it looks like we are going to finish outside the top 5, it really is time for a change. This particular team wasn't supposed to make it, but part of being a good coach is getting the occasional team to over achieve and I just never see that from Jerry Haas coached teams.

The recruits coming in are VERY good, and Haas will get a shot at coaching them, but I don't think he should get it.

He isn't going anywhere now. Should he have been gone some time ago--oh yes.

Haas bought himself a few more years with these recruits he has coming in. In my mind, at the very least, he has to win the ACC within the next three years to keep his job - something we haven't done in 25 years.

Gonna be tough to win the ACC since only two teams have won it since 2008 - Georgia Tech five times and Duke once.

What is GT's scholarship situation? Do out of state kids pay in state tuition if on a partial athletic scholarship? Is Georgia HS golf talent just loaded? How are they so dominant? Just the championship course advantage?

Primarily and same for UGA, which is a top 20 team. Plus a bunch of the young guns on the PGA tour are from Georgia. There is a ton of talent there.

Georgia's HS golf is really strong.

Yep.......lots of good HS teams and lots of good coaching at clubs starting at a young age. Our pro is an excellent teacher and has had over 100 of his students get college scholarships.
UGA also has a very good team, as does Augusta State, who recently won the NCAA

What is our problem- inability to get good players to accept partial scholarships at $62k a year? No quality walk ons? We have great tradition , Arnold Palmer, etc and can't win an ACC in 25 years ? Place better than # 8 in a regional?

A 10 on #1 at Oak Valley in Advance? You could hit two 9 irons on that hole and be close to the green.

Could have but apparently didn't? But if one pushes a big drive into the trees/pond/lake, gets frustrated, it can lead to an opening 10 in a big tournament. Point is a man don't never know when he might have a bad hole or so & screw up a round, any golfer at any time no matter how good. Even Phil Mickelson on the 18th at the US Open a few years back...Tiger Woods hitting a flag stick at the Masters & taking an incorrect drop last year.

Yep.......lots of good HS teams and lots of good coaching at clubs starting at a young age. Our pro is an excellent teacher and has had over 100 of his students get college scholarships.
UGA also has a very good team, as does Augusta State, who recently won the NCAA

Did I hear this quote right from the PGA telecast today: Brendan Todd became the 5th UGA player to win on tour this season? If so, that's quite an accomplishment and even more so for the state of Georgia when you add in GT and Augusta State's programs.

Back