• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Big 10 Divisions

You don't have any rivals in your new conference. That was my point.

No more games against Duke or UNC in basketball. Or the opportunity to play Syracuse or Notre Dame or Pitt or other East Coast teams you recruit against, and who's alumni you live with. Maryland is not a midwestern school.

The move was so short sighted and is only going to lead to a long term decline in fan and alumni interest.

we didn't play either UNC or Duke at home either. I barely remember us playing Syracuse or Notre Dame this year and our 'rival' Pitt's game was unforgettable as well. We fit in much, much better with these guys. I know more people in my inner circle who went to Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio State than I do people who went to the other ACC schools. In football, we butt heads with Penn State as much as UVA/VT. Diggs was down to us and Ohio State IIRC.

It was the opposite of short-sighted.

we didn't play either UNC or Duke at home either. I barely remember us playing Syracuse or Notre Dame this year and our 'rival' Pitt's game was unforgettable as well. We fit in much, much better with these guys. I know more people in my inner circle who went to Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio State than I do people who went to the other ACC schools. In football, we butt heads with Penn State as much as UVA/VT.

Now we're just making things up. There are certainly plenty of things to like about the move if you are Maryland. Primarily, your AD shouldn't be as pathetically bankrupt for a little while at least. This was a cash grab. That's fine. I'm sure it will work out like most expansion, and you'll eventually fit in just fine. You don't fit in as well as you did in the ACC right now. That's just not true for your history, priorities, region, etc. Say all you want about the consortium or whatever, but that was, AT BEST, a secondary motivation. This was about money, and a slight misread of the conference landscape. The ACC is secured better for the future than UMD decision makers predicted. That isn't to suggest that the ACC is as strong or will be as strong as the BIG. I doubt we will, but we aren't going anywhere. You were broke. You got paid. The ACC got better (at least in the short term) with adding Louisville. UofL will probably bring more money to the table for the ACC than UMD could have. Everyone "wins".

Nobody is saying it isn't about the money. If we were getting paid $10mm more in the ACC, we would have never left. Duh.

Jim Delany has visited campus at least three times since the announcement was made, maybe more that's just off the top of my head, and has also attended Maryland events in NYC and Chicago.

The only time Swofford made it to UMD was after it was announced that we left.

It feels good to feel wanted and it certainly feels that we fit in better.

And you forgot one thing....I'll edit one part:

"I'm sure it will work out like most expansion (except West Virginia LOL), and you'll eventually fit in just fine."

A school in the DC burbs is definitely more at home in the Big 10 than the ACC. No way you posted that with a straight face.

we didn't play either UNC or Duke at home either. I barely remember us playing Syracuse or Notre Dame this year and our 'rival' Pitt's game was unforgettable as well. We fit in much, much better with these guys. I know more people in my inner circle who went to Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio State than I do people who went to the other ACC schools. In football, we butt heads with Penn State as much as UVA/VT. Diggs was down to us and Ohio State IIRC.

Make smarter friends.

But seriously, thanks again for the $54M. The juice starts today, Oh Maryland.

Last edited:
BC was in the same situation Maryland will be in from 2005 to 2012. The difference is that the ACC added Syracuse and Pittsburgh (and to a lesser extent, Notre Dame)

Schools like Virginia, UNC, Duke, etc. will never join the Big Ten.

Make smarter friends.

But seriously, thanks again for the $54M. The juice starts today, Oh Maryland.

I hang out with friends to boost my resume! lol what does that have to do with anything, like those are even bad schools

guessing we'll just settle after the academic year and you'll just keep everything you've withheld (~$32mm or so) so I guess technically it started a long time ago.

As an Indiana football fan, I can tell you that these new divisions are fucking awful. How in the world do you build a football program in the same division as OSU, PSU, UM, and MSU?

As an Indiana football fan, I can tell you that these new divisions are fucking awful. How in the world do you build a football program in the same division as OSU, PSU, UM, and MSU?

UM = University of Maryland, right?

Completely irrespective of MD, it was dumb for the B1G to put PSU, OSU, MI, and MSU in the same division. But then it was dumb for MD to leave the ACC, too.

Better to go by geography than try to pull out a crystal ball like the ACC did.

If you would have put Miami and Florida State in the same division then half of the conference would quite angry.

Florida exposure is very important.

Is it? I've never seen any evidence that playing games in a state helps recruit in that state.

Big Ten East feels like SEC West for football. Load the talent into one division so you get strong match ups pretty much every week each season becaus they all have to play each other. Should help those programs elevate recruiting.

Is it? I've never seen any evidence that playing games in a state helps recruit in that state.

I've heard it from tons of coaches. I know playing FSU every year was mentioned specifically by quite a few WF recruits. It was big for Phonso and Bud for sure.

I hang out with friends to boost my resume! lol what does that have to do with anything, like those are even bad schools

guessing we'll just settle after the academic year and you'll just keep everything you've withheld (~$32mm or so) so I guess technically it started a long time ago.

I hope you know I'm only messing with you. I'm sad to see Maryland leave. I don't really know the "why", or even the "how" they got into so much debt in a billion dollar tax free industry when you don't have to pay the talent, but if it's an explanation that blames Frau Yow, I have absolutely no problem believing it. She fits in perfectly at N.C. State (not a compliment, BTW).

I feel sympathy for Terp fans who feel like their traditions and rivalry were foreclosed upon. I'm disinclined to believe the average Maryland fan was clamoring for roadies to Iowa and Nebraska. I can't imagine that anybody in Big 10 country (let alone the power structure) gives a tinker's cuss about Maryland's best interests.

I'm not trying to rub your nose in it; honestly, I'm curious what the rank and file Terp fans think. Can you speak for the sentiment of the fanbase: good move, great move, or WTF?

I doubt we get as many players from Florida that we have had in recent memory without being able to play Florida State every year.

Back