• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Richey coming out of left field for the job doesn’t seem likely, but right now this is the best flight info we have.

Sorry, I got confused. That plane was to Greenville. The one headed to Greer is a charter plane so we can't trace it.

Schiano was dictated by Jimmy Haslam, JC simply went out and executed. When the backlash hit, Haslam switched allegiances and backed Fulmer in the coup. Pearl and Lane were the primary targets (JC was Asst AD for those but led the process). He hired a great baseball coach at UT.

Currie knows this is era-defining for Wake basketball and career-defining for himself, I am confident he will deliver so long as he has the resources and not too much outside interference.

Inmar CEO's plane going to Mississippi. He is on the board at Wake I believe.

Starksville is 2 hours away from the Corinth, MS airport. Don't think it's related.

There is a flight into Winston, and then back to Columbia, SC. Not sure of the details on it, but it's owned by Emerald Welding LLC. Frank Martin and Currie had to cross paths at Kansas State based on timing there.

Other than that, there is the flight to Greenvile, SC (mentioned above), and Greenville, NC.

Didn't Donaldross say that Miller was out yesterday morning but according to many sources Miller is still in consideration?

I can't speak for dr's sources, but Miller has told his team he will be returning. So at that moment in time, he was not going to be Wake's next coach. If the situation has changed, I don't know (and that would probably be more on the level of dr's contacts than mine).

Starksville is 2 hours away from the Corinth, MS airport. Don't think it's related.

There is a flight into Winston, and then back to Columbia, SC. Not sure of the details on it, but it's owned by Emerald Welding LLC. Frank Martin and Currie had to cross paths at Kansas State based on timing there.

Other than that, there is the flight to Greenvile, SC (mentioned above), and Greenville, NC.

Martin and Currie have a documented distaste for each other.

Anyone who says they prefer Manning over any of the candidates listed is a goddamn idiot.

I trust Currie is going to get the best candidate we can get this cycle based on whatever limitations we may or may not have. And we’re not going to be better positioned next year.

There's a big difference between saying you prefer Manning and it wasn't worth buying out Manning to hire a proven loser like Amaker.

So some sources are saying Miller, Forbes, and Matta are all out. That leaves us with Kelsey, Amaker, and Odom? Oh boy.

This is one of the two or three highest paid gigs at the University and one of the two or three highest profile (maybe the highest of both). I'm pretty sure Hatch is very involved and paying very close attention.

Last edited:
If I were Currie and Hatch made me hire Amaker, I’d tell him to take the AD job and shove it.

No you wouldn't. You'd sit back and collect your huge checks until retirement at your alma mater rather than risk never getting another AD job again.

Les has different info. on who the leaders are at this juncture. Amaker wasn’t mentioned. The after action report on who had the best sources are going to be interesting.

With two of our main sources saying two completely different things. I would have to think one of their sources are telling them false information on purpose. Or maybe they just have no idea what is going on.

The rest of the ACC would be thrilled if we hired Amaker.

I don't know about that.

While other ACC programs would not be concerned about the possibility of Amaker leading the Deacs to elite status, Amaker has always been an solid recruiter. There is only so much talent to go around, and other ACC teams don't want to have to worry about WF thinning out the recruiting pool. I can Amaker winning his share of recruiting battles with State, Clemson, VT, GT, Miami for recruits. That is what will annoy other schools. Manning didn't do that very often.

That said, I agree the larger concern is what Amaker does with the talent on hand. What Amaker lacks is even one season (with the possible exception of the 1999-2000 season and that was 20 years ago) where his team vastly outperformed the talent on hand. Feel reasonably confident that WF would be decent under Amaker, but that's about it. Kind of like Brad Brownell at Clemson:

9 full seasons: won 20 games 4 times; two NCAA Tourneys (one sweet 16); 3 NITs; best ACC finish T-3; finished between 4th and 11th in the ACC 7 out of 9 years.

Last edited:
Put me in the "Hatch gives this approximately 15 seconds of attention per day' camp. He's the CEO of a fairly big company, and athletics is a very small piece of the business. He is overseeing dozens of departments and colleges and deans, all of which have big problems right now. I'm sure he discussed "show stoppers" with Currie before he started interviewing people, and probably gets a daily email update on where the search stands. When it's time to make a call, he will join in a one hour discussion to discuss the finalists and to approve financial terms. But in the middle of this, there's no way Hatch simultaneously a) hates sports and wants to move us to NAIA and b) invests tons of time interfering with a hiring process.

Except Hatch LOVES basketball.

Les has different info. on who the leaders are at this juncture. Amaker wasn’t mentioned. The after action report on who had the best sources are going to be interesting.

Where is that info? ANd before anyone says subscribe to Les, i do...

Back