• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New MTOW: How the Danny Manning Deal Went Down

I like Dan more than most here.

But I do find it a bit amusing that this column harps so much on how tirelessly Dan worked to cover the coaching search when, in reality, he provided no scoopage the whole time.

Can't provide any when there is none to be had.

I completely agree with you that he is risky. That said, what is the minimum he could have done in his 2 years to blow you away?

Win more games. 21 wins isn't all that impressive for Tulsa. I mean Wojcik had at least 19 wins 5 out of 7 seasons (23+ 3 times). And he had to face Memphis at least twice a season.

They were just really awful OOC. That's pretty much what it comes down to.

Win more games. 21 wins isn't all that impressive for Tulsa. I mean Wojcik had at least 19 wins 5 out of 7 seasons (23+ 3 times). And he had to face Memphis at least twice a season.

They were just really awful OOC. That's pretty much what it comes down to.

There's a lot of this response, and the kenpom numbers aren't great, IMO, either. Not only was the OOC not particularly good, they got beaten handily by every decent team they played, their NCAA participation trophy "respectable loss" to UCLA included. This is precisely the reason why building up this hire (like ChrisL and others have begun to do) is really stupid in light of what we went through with [name redacted]. If the [name redacted]-era taught us anything it's that a healthy dose of skepticism is not a bad thing, no matter how badly we want things to work out.

That said and the way that I'm selling it to myself is that the guy was going to win big at Tulsa in 2014-2015. He had all of his production returning and his 2014 recruiting class is solid, filling their pretty big hole at PG with an intriguing mid-major prospect while adding depth at SF. There's no doubt about it, and whether or not he made the NCAA with Tulsa, he would have been a hot coaching prospect regardless. Whoever posted the Mike White/Archie Miller 1-2-3 year trajectories is on the right track with this one.

Back