• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New MTOW: How the Danny Manning Deal Went Down

what about TOB?

are paladeac and chrispy excited?

One thing you would get a kick out of . The Welcome Coach Manning thread on 247 is all premium content. Danny Manning couldn't even see it without a subscription to Deman's echo chamber site.

One thing you would get a kick out of . The Welcome Coach Manning thread on 247 is all premium content. Danny Manning couldn't even see it without a subscription to Deman's echo chamber site.

lol

when it comes to monetizing a website, Deman is tops.

How desperate do you think Wellman was at 3:00 am this morning to get an acceptance. I imagine Danny had Ron right where he wanted him. No way Wellman wanted to go back to the drawing board.

How desperate do you think Wellman was at 3:00 am this morning to get an acceptance. I imagine Danny had Ron right where he wanted him. No way Wellman wanted to go back to the drawing board.

This makes all the closing time at the bar analogies even more appropriate.

Have been away from the boards since yesterday morning, so apologies if this has been covered elsewhere... So, according to some reports, Manning notified his players at Tulsa via text (after they found out from ESPN reports) and not an in-person meeting? Sounds like the TU players took it as well as they could have and wished him well, but that still seems kind of shitty.

http://www.therepublic.com/w/BKC--Tulsa-Manning-Reax
Rashad Smith, a 6-foot-7 forward, said he woke up early for a test.

"I had a little group text with my teammates and they told me," he said. "I didn't get much studying done. I found out through ESPN. Coach contacted us afterward, just a text to the guys. He let us know what the deal was, let us know he was going to go over there. I'm all for it. It's a great opportunity for him and his family. We congratulated him and that was that."

Tulsa went 21-13 and reached the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2003. Manning was 38-29 with two postseason berths in two seasons at Tulsa.

Guard James Woodard, another talented member of the sophomore class, said he would have preferred to hear the news directly from Manning.

"Yeah, I would have liked to," Woodard said, "but he's at the Final Four, he really couldn't make it. So he told us as soon as possible. He apologized for the situation at hand. He loves us all dearly and we love him. We still have love for him and his family. He told us and I was grateful for that. It is (frustrating) but you know in the back of your mind the run we had this year there would be a lot of opportunities out there. I'm happy for him."

http://www.newson6.com/story/25167736/danny-mannings-departure-stings-tulsa-fan-base
Over on The Buzz 1430am, callers are singing a different tune.

"The lightning rod drawing the most criticism - why Manning notified his players in a text message?" the radio host said.

And callers were even more fired up.

"Shame on him and don't ever give me any of that horse crap, 'oh well we're here to teach them to be young men on and off the field and learn to be gentlemen.' No. What did he just teach them? He taught them that it's OK to sneak out in the middle of the night and have somebody find out on a tweet from ESPN or however the heck they found out," a caller said.

It happens. They have every right to be upset and it is understandable, but this has become almost standard procedure I think. It is probably very rare these days that the players are going to find out first from the coach itself and not leaked in the media.

Perhaps he should have told that specific person in his camp that was leaking every little tid bit of info to shut the fuck up for a couple of hours until he could tell his team that he was leaving. With that said, I remember reading that if he chose Wake, because of his travel schedule, he was going to be forced to tell his team via a Skype conference. Guess that didn't work out too well.

Yes, the talk to the team wasn't ideal, but when you decide out of town and you're not going to be back until 4-5 days later, maybe the best you can do is let them know in a timely fashion and maybe call a meeting when you're back home. Unfortunate, but I don't see how it could've been different unless he made a special trip back just for that.

81 congratulated and thanked Deman for breaking the story when Deman simply reiterated what was all over twitter. I loled. It's a Ron knob sloberfest.

what about TOB?

are paladeac and chrispy excited?

Jason is the most excited of them all. He's still starting "I hate the Bzzz-Out lunatic fringe" threads. His PTSD is really acting up.

Yes, the talk to the team wasn't ideal, but when you decide out of town and you're not going to be back until 4-5 days later, maybe the best you can do is let them know in a timely fashion and maybe call a meeting when you're back home. Unfortunate, but I don't see how it could've been different unless he made a special trip back just for that.

Hop on a damn plane. I am sure Wake still has that King Air sitting in Dallas and, if not, Manning can surely afford to charter something himself, or, god forbid, fly commercial. It isn't like Manning actually had to be in Dallas Friday through Monday.

Not super impressed with how Manning handled the process, not with the endless leaks that were surely originating from his camp and then using that as an excuse for not telling his players face to face.

Sigh.

Love it when someone completely fails at reading and then calls me an idiot.

We would have saved seven figures if we had hired an elite top assistant. In my mind, because Danny's brief tenure at Tulsa that doesn't blow me away, an elite top assistant would be only marginally more risky. Less risky if you think about what that $1M+ could be spent on. A bigger assistant budget, a bigger recruiting budget (I wonder how many hours worth of Net Jet that buys...a bunch I bet), better facilities, etc.

I really, really like the idea of Danny at $1.2-1.6M but, I definitely worry about potentially sinking $2.0-2.4M into someone as risky as him. And, yes, he's definitely risky.

I completely agree with you that he is risky. That said, what is the minimum he could have done in his 2 years to blow you away?

According to the Tulsa board the players found out via text at 2 am CT. They're pissed he didn't tell them face to face when he was back in Tulsa.

Just catching up on this thread. I think I saw one of the player's quoted as saying he was happy (or proud?) for Manning getting an ACC gig. I do think the way coaches communicate their exit is important.
In regards to recruiting, Self said he took Manning with him to help sell big men on the program. Sounds like he would have shared in some credit on big men, even if he was not the primary recruiter based on geography.
As far as the assistants, is there any reason to believe he is not bringing his current staff (minus one)?

I hope Manning's 3:00 am negotiations help the team as much as him personally.

Back