• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New MTOW: How the Danny Manning Deal Went Down

What if the rumored $2.4M includes his assistants? Doesn't that make more sense? $1.5M for Manning and he figures out what to do with the $900K or whatever? I have a hard time believing Manning's base salary more than doubled at 3am this morning.

Keeping Wellman awake seems to be an effective negotiating technique. If RW got a nap, then maybe that $2.4MM includes the assistants as well.

I just don't buy that, especially since the million-dollar-less-assistants I'm talking about have a track record of recruiting elite guys.

Not to Wake, and not as HCs -- so they have relied on the names "Donovan / UF" or "Self / KU" or whatever, which are a bit different than "Previously Unknown Ex-Assistant / WFU."

Agree that Manning needs top-notch recruiting help from assistants. If he gets it, I'd take "Manning / WFU" over a cheaper assistant.

We must have been typing at the same time as I didn't see the post. We have just wasted over 5 mil on a POS coach. What's another million for a name coach no matter who he is.

I don't care how old Manning is and whether todays recruits recognize him or not. He played 15 years in the league. If we take top assistant "A" (say Mike Hopkins from the Cuse) at 1 mil a year, you think he's gonna have a better chance at a top recruit than Manning? If so you're insane and you're being LOWF for bitching about what something cost.

I don't understand how it's insane at all to think that someone who has recruited at an elite level before is more likely to recruit at an elite level than someone who hasn't. That seems quiet logical to me. You can argue that I'm underestimating Manning's name recognition, but I don't see how my line of reasoning is insane.

And, there's a finite amount of money to be spent on basketball. It isn't LOWF to recognize that.

Not to Wake, and not as HCs -- so they have relied on the names "Donovan / UF" or "Self / KU" or whatever, which are a bit different than "Previously Unknown Ex-Assistant / WFU."

Agree that Manning needs top-notch recruiting help from assistants. If he gets it, I'd take "Manning / WFU" over a cheaper assistant.

Agreed.

I don't understand how it's insane at all to think that someone who has recruited at an elite level before is more likely to recruit at an elite level than someone who hasn't. That seems quiet logical to me. You can argue that I'm underestimating Manning's name recognition, but I don't see how my line of reasoning is insane.

And, there's a finite amount of money to be spent on basketball. It isn't LOWF to recognize that.

Well let me put it another way. I would want this hire to have head coaching experience. I prefer Danny Manning over Wojo, Mike Hopkins, or any other assistant in the nation. If we couldn't get Danny, I'd still prefer the next head coach over an assistant, because they know how to run things. 38-29 is nothing to get excited about but its a winning record and he went to the dance. Wojo is 0-0 and has done nothing that I know of. I believe Marquette is taking a way bigger risk than we are.

Also all that ACC TV money that Clemson, F$U, UNC, Duke, & others are generating is meant to be spent, not saved.

If we had to pay Manning $2.4m to coach here then things are worse than I ever thought. Way to be Ron.

Guys, I don't mean to be negative or anything here, I just worry about our ability to pay such a large salary and provide the required resources to best position a pretty inexperienced guy for success.

Once the rest of the bench is named it may turn out my concerns are completely unwarranted.

This. The second paragraph, especially, though. I hope we have done money to get a veteran or two on the bench next to him.

Maybe Manning just kept bending Wellman over till the wee hours of the morning. Big salary, and hopefully a long conversation how culture talk is now over and he can bring in any player he wants. He must have known Wellman had no choice so hopefully the negotiations not only helped Manning but helped the basketball program as a whole.

So who would you have hired, given that choices A-F apparently declined? Would you rather have a worse coach with less money? Buy cheap buy twice. 2.4 mm is essentially 40 tuition payments If he sucks as a coach, a few hundred thousand $$$ is the least of our problems

Correct. Per my understanding, Manning did very little recruiting while at Kansas.

Quite frankly, I find this hard to believe.

Bill Self is a smart guy. You are going to tell me he didn't have guy on his staff who is literally a living legend in Kansas basketball heavily involved in recruiting?

Buzz Sports Network ‏@1430theBUZZ 36m

Danny Manning did not inform Dr. Gragg he had accepted the Wake job. Dr. Gragg had to call Danny to find out according to sources.

According to the Tulsa board the players found out via text at 2 am CT. They're pissed he didn't tell them face to face when he was back in Tulsa.

Quite frankly, I find this hard to believe.

Bill Self is a smart guy. You are going to tell me he didn't have guy on his staff who is literally a living legend in Kansas basketball heavily involved in recruiting?
I'm eager to see the recruits he brings in.

Guys if you think there is no name recognition in Danny Manning and 15 years in the NBA you are nuts. It may not be Tim Duncan, but it is a hell of lot more name recognition than Jeff Bzzz! Lets all back off and give the guy a chance before being so critical. I'll take him over Bzzz, over Wojo and some of the other names that floated around. Lets give him a few years before raising $$ for a billboard!

According to the Tulsa board the players found out via text at 2 am CT. They're pissed he didn't tell them face to face when he was back in Tulsa.

Thanks for the late night text, coach!

If that is true then that's a pretty shit move on Manning's part.

Guys if you think there is no name recognition in Danny Manning and 15 years in the NBA you are nuts. It may not be Tim Duncan, but it is a hell of lot more name recognition than Jeff Bzzz! Lets all back off and give the guy a chance before being so critical. I'll take him over Bzzz, over Wojo and some of the other names that floated around. Lets give him a few years before raising $$ for a billboard!

Comparing any coach with [Redacted] is not the bar height that I want to set.

I don't recall, how much did VT pay for Buzz?

If it's $2.4 million there is no doubt we over paid for his current resume. Our only hope is that he grows into it. Certainly hope he earns every penny of it.

Back