• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New MTOW: How the Danny Manning Deal Went Down

Thanks for the late night text, coach!

If that is true then that's a pretty shit move on Manning's part.

I doubt that text came from Manning, but rather it was a "leak". I'm skeptical that a 47-year old man would even think to text a bunch of college kids at 2AM.

I think that a pretty tough situation. He's not on campus, so can't have a meeting, it's 2/3am so at best he could have a phone call, if he has to call them one at a time most will be pissed because he didn't call them first. At least he let them know before they saw it on ESPN this morning.

Lets give him a few years before raising $$ for a billboard!

Expressing doubts about the wisdom of this hire does not equal raising $ for a Fire Danny Manning billboard. 90% of this board are convinced Manning is going to be a success. So only 10% of us think this hire was a mistake.

I don't recall, how much did VT pay for Buzz?

If it's $2.4 million there is no doubt we over paid for his current resume. Our only hope is that he grows into it. Certainly hope he earns every penny of it.

7 years / $18 million, IIRC. So a bit more than we're paying Manning (if you take the $2.4 million figure as true), and for a longer duration (if you further assume Manning is getting our standard 5-year contract).

Do we even know now how much Clawson is making? How would the Tulsa board find out Manning's contract before the ink dries?

coltsbolt.jpg

Message board rumor: he texted his team at 2 am. Dan Collins: he formally accepted the offer at 3 am. So it sounds like he texted his team right before he signed the papers, so they'd hear it first. Doesn't have to be as nefarious as some here would like.

Perhaps he simply hadn't decided while he was still in Tulsa. If they were up until three working out the deal, he obviously wasn't just showing up to sign paperwork. He might've been right on the fence until Ron opened the wallet a little wider. Who knows.

7 years / $18 million, IIRC. So a bit more than we're paying Manning (if you take the $2.4 million figure as true), and for a longer duration (if you further assume Manning is getting our standard 5-year contract).

Wow, so $2.57M for Buzz and Manning for $2.4M. The 'man' better get us out of the Wed/Thurs games and get us playing on Sat and Sun of the ACCT. Let's toss in a top 10 ranking and a Final 4 within 5 years.

I will say, if the money is true, that's not Danny's fault, it's ours for paying it. On a relative scale I think we'd have needed to pay Marshall and Shaka $7-10M to get them to Wake.

Message board rumor: he texted his team at 2 am. Dan Collins: he formally accepted the offer at 3 am. So it sounds like he texted his team right before he signed the papers, so they'd hear it first. Doesn't have to be as nefarious as some here would like.

Perhaps he simply hadn't decided while he was still in Tulsa. If they were up until three working out the deal, he obviously wasn't just showing up to sign paperwork. He might've been right on the fence until Ron opened the wallet a little wider. Who knows.

Not that I question Dan's reporting, but 3am EDT? or 3am CDT. If Dan was saying 3am EDT, that's 2am CDT.

2 AM CT = 3 AM ET

Good catch. So he texted his team at the moment he was officially taking the job. Doesn't seem like a dick move if he hadn't been fully decided beforehand, and just wanted them to hear it from him first, rather than ESPN.

I'm with you. I'm skeptical of the numbers coming from Tulsa. They have reason to want to believe the number is high.

Exactly. Every time we get a Tulsa leak about Manning's contract the number goes up. Next week we'll be paying him $3MM.

So who would you have hired, given that choices A-F apparently declined? Would you rather have a worse coach with less money? Buy cheap buy twice. 2.4 mm is essentially 40 tuition payments If he sucks as a coach, a few hundred thousand $$$ is the least of our problems

I'm not going to read the rest of this thread, but what should have happened IMHO (no offense to Manning, but let's face it, the guy has very little head coaching history so far and is a risky head coach hire...) is for the BOT to step in and say to Wellman, 'you fucked this up, it's our turn now. You're fired, we're promoting Battle to head coach for a year and hiring a search firm to go and find a really good coach and we're not going to spend anywhere close to $2.4 MM to make it happen.'

All that said, I hope Manning does well, but I have a hard time accepting how all of this happened and still think Wellman massively screwed up an opportunity to get things heading in a strong direction. I just feel like we stopped the bleeding with this hire, and frankly, that's just not good enough.

Go Deacs.

Last edited:
Back