• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Notes From the Inside

This. Put a muzzle on it, guys. Lectro's post may seem far-fetched, but it's certainly pawsible. At the very least, I'm sure the players are having a ruff time of it, even if they had to know Bzz was on a short leash coming into the year. Bzz is slinking away with his tail between his legs; who cares if they throw him a bone as he goes? The only thing I would care about is transfer talk, but I'm confident that will be more bark than bite.

Some of you just seem to be piling on because you have a bone to pick with Lectro. While he was fabulously and famously wrong about Buzzy, what need is there to rub his nose in it? I'm sure he's licking his chops, as we all are, to find out who the new coach will be. With so few premier openings this year, we should have our pick of the litter among the up-and-comers. With so much at stake, I'm confident Wellman won't get thrown off the scent this time. So let's all sit back and enjoy the search, and let sleeping dogs lie.

POTD

The only thing I can say with certainty in favor of Buzz' coaching is that our offense against a zone was much improved. As others have said, we don't have very talented offensive players so that stats don't always show it. But, in multiple games against the zone I saw internal passing, ball movement, etc. that produced really quality shots. Of course, we missed most of them anyway, but, we weren't just standing around and jacking up outside shots against the zone.

That is really the only positive thing I ever saw out of him.

I'm sure he is, but if his "take me out of this hell" originated with him rather than a lyric, it would speak to his depth of emotional distress and would speak much louder. I just wanted to cut off the OMG! He's gone! transfer talk, etc. based on a lyric that is probably stated more forcefully than what he's actually thinking.

I'm pretty disappointed that Palma didn't catch any of that

The guys who like [Redacted] played under him and only him in college. They have no idea what it's like to be with a nice guy who is a winner.

These are the kind of spin stories that we're all going to have to get used to coming out of the AD and their various outlets. It's the opposite of what we saw with Dino. This will be character restoration instead of the traditional character assassination. Be prepared everybody, this shit is coming.

You mean none of these guys ever played for another coach, ever? I'm thrilled Bzzz is gone, but I think it is pretty silly to pretend these guys didn't know him better than any of us. He may suck as a coach and still be a good person.

You mean none of these guys ever played for another coach, ever? I'm thrilled Bzzz is gone, but I think it is pretty silly to pretend these guys didn't know him better than any of us. He may suck as a coach and still be a good person.

Yeah, he was a "nice" coach who offered them all 250,000 educations. I'm glad he didnt beat them or anything, but he still deserved to be fired 2 seasons ago. If the players want to follow Bzz to whatever D-League team he becomes an assistant at, I promise I won't stop them.

This talk of Bz not connecting with the fans is such bullshit. You know who connects with the fans? Coaches that win. You who doesn't? Coaches that lose. It's that simple. Sure there are some that have more personality (a la Slip) but if you don't win fans will hate you and if you do they will love you. There was no bigger dick head on planet earth than Dean Smith and the man is damn near next to god in the (small) minds of UNC-ch fans.

Yep. bobby knight is much more of a fucking asshole than dean

Why in the world would you make a statement like that....other than the fact that he coached at a hated rival? Seems to me that you are the one who is being small-minded. If you take away the hatred for Smith for being the coach at Carolina and look at Dean Smith the person, he seems to me to have lived an exemplary life. Smith was instrumental in supporting civil rights and integration in the 1960s segregated south. That took courage and fortitude in those days. No matter what you may think of UNC's basketball program, Dean Smith is a good man.

ETA: He also ran a clean program, graduated his players and emphasized the concept of teamwork, as opposed to individual achievement, on the court. Other than the fact that he coached at Carolina, I don't see what's not to like about the man.

All of that is true...but he was still a gigantic asshole. Assholes can do good things.

Listening to conversations with several players it was clear that they have had a strong personal relationship with [Redacted], the person. "Father figure" was said by more than one.

I think the players were experiencing the Stockholm syndrome - "a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending and identifying with them."

Jeff [Redacted] might be a great guy. He might have tons of basketball knowledge. He is not a coach. He has proven that time and time again.

All of that is true...but he was still a gigantic asshole. Assholes can do good things.

He was an A-hole in the minds of all who were not Carolina fans. As much as I hated him, the man was an innovator and awesome coach. The talent didn't just roll through there because it was Chapel Hill, he made it come through there. Jordan, Worthy, Perkins, Ford, Black, the Four Corners (before the shot clock), etc. Geez I can't believe I am defending a guy I hate, but I sure do respect him.

Any truth to the rumor that Wellman's bike crash actually occurred on a tandem bike with lectro? That would really help to explain a lot.

He was an A-hole in the minds of all who were not Carolina fans. As much as I hated him, the man was an innovator and awesome coach. The talent didn't just roll through there because it was Chapel Hill, he made it come through there. Jordan, Worthy, Perkins, Ford, Black, the Four Corners (before the shot clock), etc. Geez I can't believe I am defending a guy I hate, but I sure do respect him.

Agree, I despised him as a coach for many years but true respect comes when one learns to respect those they may have disagreed at one time...Hated him at UNC but cannot dispute he was one hell of a coach, motivator not to mention innovator a la "four corners"...

Back