• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official '16-17 NBA Thread: not with a bang but a whimper

Pop is the clear #1. I'd guess Kerr is up there too though there have probably been precious few coaches to land in a better first gig. Brad Stevens looks the part and has an impressive start but he doesn't have the bona fides yet. I'm guessing they were all ahead of Rick. Who am I missing? Spo? Tell me not Doc or Lue.

Pop
Kerr
Stevens
Spo
Carlisle was order

I think I'm ok with Kerr possibly being there. Managing that roster and getting what he does out of those guys is impressive. I think Stevens and Spo are high ceiling guys who might end up over Carslisle as their careers go on. And to be fair Spo looks better and better as his roster talent decreases and they still win. But Carslisle has done it consistently over a long period of time with a myriad of talented and shitty rosters

Completely off topic post:

Was having a discussion the other day about whether a current All-Kentucky would be the favorite for the NBA championship:

I'd think a starting lineup of Wall, Booker, MKG, Davis, Towns with a bench of Boogie, WCS, Noel, Bledsoe, Knight, Lyles, Monk, Fox could take the Warriors.

An All-Wake lineup might be able to sneak into the playoffs. The starting lineup would be solid but the bench would be beyond atrocious. Probably something like CP3, Teague, Aminu, Johnson, Duncan with a bench of Ish, Collins, Crawford, Chaundee, and whatever 4 deacs are playing the best overseas right now.

Boogie has to start right? I think those Kentucky guys are talented but for the most part are all guys who need the ball in their hands at all times, don't play D and don't really care about anyone other than themselves (AD being an obvious exception). I think Fox and Monk for example will be some of the better pros Kentucky has seen over the past 5-10 years

Wake isn't bad but a retired Timmy and shitty bench doesn't do much

Craig Dawson would still be a 45% 3 point shooter, basically play the Kerr role.

Have Chas on the bench and throw him in there a few minutes to get boogie kicked out and missing every other game by being over 16 Techs for the season.

Brad Stevens has a team with a borderline all-star center, a 5'8 or 5'9" point guard and a number of nice complimentary players tied for the #1 seed in the East. To me, he's the coach of the year and it's not even close. Kerr is a good coach, but he inherited a playoff team and taught them how to play defense. Stevens built his team from scratch. Amir Johnson plays 20 minutes a game. I'm not sure he gets off the bench in SA or Cle. Jae Crowder was a throw in - in the Rondo trade.

What he's doing in Boston is being undersold. Add a top 3 pick next year. Jayson Tatum on Boston would be scary.

Ainge might be the worst drafting GM in the league right now

Prob take Giles #3

I saw some advanced metrics that has Johnson as one of the most valuable players on the team. The defensive play from him and Crowder is a huge reason for the team's success.

Calling Crowder a throw-in is a little much, too. He was Ainge's main target in that deal, from what I remember. I think Ainge deserves more credit for this build, though I agree that Stevens is an incredible coach.

Ainge might be the worst drafting GM in the league right now

Prob take Giles #3

I think Brown is going to be very good, and I'm a big Yabusele fan.

In general this is a pretty overrated taek. I know people here love to rag on the Rozier and Smart picks, but meh. Rozier was a 16th pick, and he's a fine role player. Smart has made huge leaps forward, and he's a legitimately valuable dude now. Sullinger with the 21st pick in 2012 was a steal. He got MarShon Brooks with #25 and E'Twaun Moore with #55 in 2011, and both were fine value. Avery Bradley with #19 in 2010. In the mid 2000s, he got Gerald Green at #18, Ryan Gomes at #50, Al Jefferson at #15. Delonte West and Tony Allen at #24 and #25. Rondo at #21.

It's easy to beat him up for shit like Olynyk or Rozier or James Young, but calling him a league-worst drafter is a donk take.

Celts should let Stevens make the pick.

I'm sure he has input. Will be interesting to see what the Celts do if they have the number 1 or 2 pick.

Given the current construction of their roster Jackson or Taytum make more sense than Fultz or Ball.

But if they are convinced that one of the PGs is going to be special relatively soon it probably makes more sense to take Ball or Fultz, trade Thomas at the height of his value and then pursue a max guy in free agency.

RSF doing a fine job explaining why Danny Ainge draft picks are not #assets

I'm sure he has input. Will be interesting to see what the Celts do if they have the number 1 or 2 pick.

Given the current construction of their roster Jackson or Taytum make more sense than Fultz or Ball.

But if they are convinced that one of the PGs is going to be special relatively soon it probably makes more sense to take Ball or Fultz, trade Thomas at the height of his value and then pursue a max guy in free agency.

I could see them taking Ball or Fultz and moving one or more of Thomas, Smart, and Bradley over the summer given that all 3 will be free agents after next season.

I think they just take Ball or Fultz, let them develop for a year behind Thomas, and let Thomas walk after next year. I don't know how interested they are in giving a max to someone with as weird a career arc (and with limited physical comps) as IT4.

Long term, I'm cool with building around something like Fultz/Smart/Crowder/Brown/Horford, with the option to overpay Bradley (who's still just 26!) if you aren't super confident in Smart.

Last edited:
Passing on Fultz/Ball because you have IT3 is a horrible idea

Back